PDA

View Full Version : Gah! I'm annoyed!

Sue
05-13-2009, 11:43 PM
So today, I went to the doctors for some health issues, and we decided it would also be a good idea to have a full medical. Seeing as I was there and hadn't eaten, doc decided to do bloodwork so the results are in when I have my half hour with him next week.

So he sends in his nurse to draw the blood. I have NO problem with needles or the slight discomfort that comes with having bloodwork done.
I noticed it hurt a little more than normal when she pricked me, but she certainly wasn't "digging" for a vein - hell, with my arthritis I have blood drawn at least 2-3 times a year. She drew 4 vials of blood, did the usual with the band aid etc.

I got to work, and noticed it hurt like a ***** when trying to bend my arm. I just figured it was because I had the 4 vials drawn.
After an hour, I was in pain, so pulled off the band aid. The inside of my elbow was swollen to all heck, and I could see a bruise developing....never ever have I had a reaction like that before.
Tonight, I've been wincing in pain when my arm has moved, I have a bruise that spreads well beyond the site she drew blood from. Half of it's purple, half of it's blue and if I try to bend my arm it brings tears to my eyes.

Not happy.

</venting>

olfishergal
05-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Hey Sue.....1st of all, real Nurses don't work in Doctors offices. The are med techs along the lines of a nurses aid. Docs are way to cheap to pay a nurses salary. The problem with your blood draw is the "tech" didn't keep pressure on after the draw thereby causing the vein to leak into the tissues causing the bruising and pain. Not much you can do for it at this point, but I would recommend some warm moist heat to ease the discomfort and reduce the swelling. Since you have arthritis, don't put ice on it....When you habe this done again, keep your arm bent for at least 5 minutes to prevent the leak and thus the bruising. Feel better gf, fun days are coming, summer is almost here......OFG

Sue
05-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks Chris!
I've heard that the tech may have punched through the back of the vein before drawing back to draw the blood which usually causes this problem.

Like I say, I've had the procedure done a bunch of times and know the routine, and this all appeared to be routine. I've just never experienced this before. Not that it's going to put me off having blood drawn (unlike last year's accident whereby I'm still afraid of knives :ROFL: )

Koshaw
05-14-2009, 05:43 AM
Sorry you had that experience also Sue :(

At my OLD Dr's office, emphasis on OLD (as in I fired him), there was a nurse who did the same thing to my arm! It was all puffy and bruised and took a week or two to go back to normal :P

I get blood drawn several times a year as well.

And like at my new Dr's he had them take 8-9 vials (he is at UCLA and wanted a full scan) and the nurse was nice and also talented (at drawing blood). At UCLA you see your Dr, and then go over to a specialty lab area (across the street) where all they do is draw blood. They get a print out of how many vials to draw and what tests your Dr wants them to run for you. I really prefer this method compared to my old doc.

I hope it heals up fast for you Sue!

Chuck

Sue
05-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Crapalicious! The bruise is now a delightful shade of purple and black, and has multiplied in size to the power of 'n'. (Well, it's at least double the size it was yesterday)!
And tomorrow we're going to Arizona to watch Gators sons graduation ceremony, it's 100F there........wearing tanks is gonna be fun...NOT! :ROFL:
Wonder if I'll get pulled over for extra screening.....:ROFL:

sansou
05-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your arm Sue...

Congrats to the Sundevil grad!

FYI: for reasons unknown I feel compelled to tell you this: there's actually quite a few British pubs in Arizona. The closest one to ASU that comes to mind is the "British Open Pub & Grill", its about 5-10 minutes away, right at the intersection of McDowell / Scottsdale Rd (in Papago Plaza in Scottsdale). There's a good amount of British expats that frequent the pub b/c of the drink selection.

olfishergal
05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Sorry you had that experience also Sue :(

At my OLD Dr's office, emphasis on OLD (as in I fired him), there was a nurse who did the same thing to my arm! It was all puffy and bruised and took a week or two to go back to normal :P

I get blood drawn several times a year as well.

And like at my new Dr's he had them take 8-9 vials (he is at UCLA and wanted a full scan) and the nurse was nice and also talented (at drawing blood). At UCLA you see your Dr, and then go over to a specialty lab area (across the street) where all they do is draw blood. They get a print out of how many vials to draw and what tests your Dr wants them to run for you. I really prefer this method compared to my old doc.

I hope it heals up fast for you Sue!

Chuck

Let me re-emphasize this......NURSES are not the ones drawing your blood. These are lab techs only. Lab Techs do not provide any other medical service except draw blood and collect specimens brought into them.

Fisherman57
05-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Years ago I remember being involved in a crash during a figure 8 race at Kern County Raceway (BTW, I BARELY remember it)...hahahahaha... anyways, I always had my blood type and some other information etched on the lower back edge of my helmet....

The track always had qualified EMT's and on that particular night, they had a female doctor on duty.... (I think they brought in more medical personnel for the figure 8 races..LOL)...... shes asked me If I knew my blood type and later that evening I remember referring to her as "the Nurse".....

She overheard me and said... "Hey, I'm a physician.... NURSES WORK FOR A LIVING!".

Keep up the good work Chris......... have fun in AZ Sue..... should be nice and cool there..... :ROFL:

Dana

troutdog
05-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your arm Sue...

Congrats to the Sundevil grad!

FYI: for reasons unknown I feel compelled to tell you this: there's actually quite a few British pubs in Arizona. The closest one to ASU that comes to mind is the "British Open Pub & Grill", its about 5-10 minutes away, right at the intersection of McDowell / Scottsdale Rd (in Papago Plaza in Scottsdale). There's a good amount of British expats that frequent the pub b/c of the drink selection.

I'll bet its already listed in Sue's contact list!:LOL:

TD