PDA

View Full Version : best fishing kayak

Master Basser
06-19-2007, 02:16 PM
hi there, i just bought a boat not too long ago, but seeing that i usually fish alone, it would be more practical for me to get a kayak for my lonely solo days. :X also, i'll get a good work out from it too! which is much needed right now. haha. so my question to you all you yakers is, which kayaks are the best for mainly fresh water fishing? my price range is from 500 - 800. i've been looking at the malibu mini-x, seems like a good all around kayak, only thing is, doesn't seem like it'll go too fast. but does that really matter? thanks.

rusty6
06-19-2007, 08:37 PM
cobra fish n dive, ocean kayak prowler, ocean kayak scupper pro, the tarpon 160 are the most common fishing kayaks ive seen. i have a scupper pro, its a fast kayak but its a little unstable and pretty wet. i've tried the prowler and its pretty nice, the fish n dive is a lot slower. the ocean kayak scramble is decent. xtsreamline sports in torrance and malibu kayaks in sunset beach are you best bets in finding some good deals on some fishing kayaks

jonee523
06-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Hey bro,

Look for something in the 12-14ft range. That way your gonna have enough speed and stability. Your also gonna have room for all your gear. Believe me you can accumulate a lot of gear for fishing from a kayak. If your able, test drive a few before you buy. At least that way your gonna get an idea of what fits you and how much it may run.

If your in the NPH area check out southwind kayaks, they also rent them so you can try them out. I know of a couple other places I've seen in the yellow pages too. Don't forget to look for the x-rentals that my be for sale I saved @00 on my boat by buying used.

Good luck,

Jon

jonee523
06-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Hey bro,

Look for something in the 12-14ft range. That way your gonna have enough speed and stability. Your also gonna have room for all your gear. Believe me you can accumulate a lot of gear for fishing from a kayak. If your able, test drive a few before you buy. At least that way your gonna get an idea of what fits you and how much it may run.

If your in the NPH area check out southwind kayaks, they also rent them so you can try them out. I know of a couple other places I've seen in the yellow pages too. Don't forget to look for the x-rentals that my be for sale I saved @00 on my boat by buying used.

Good luck,

Jon

DreStyle
06-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey Master Basser ... I see you're a local ... If you feel like making a run on somewhere let me know ...