PDA

View Full Version : toms place

bstolton
05-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi everyone
Been a while since I posted,not much time for fishing lately.I`m thinking about making a trek up to rock creek lake in june for a thursday thru saturday trip and would like to camp out,if I can talk the wife into it. She is worried about the whole bear thing and we would have are dog with us.We useally go to june lake loop and stay in a cabin, which I still plan to do in september. we allways see bears in june area at night trying to get into the dumpsters.So wondering about the cabins at Toms, anybody ever stay there and whats it like,not expecting the hilton just want clean.Any recomendations on the campgrounds by rock creek area would be appreciated too, I`m still going to try and talk her into camping.

Thanks Bill

matt duarte
05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
ill be headed a lil past toms place tomorrow going to rock creek till sunday! my buddy that im going with camped at toms place last year and had one nosey bear vist every night... didnt hurt anyone just ate and tasted some stuff... i defently dont wat to see a bear this weekend...last year me and TJ hiked to treasure lakes and didnt see any bears...go figure lol

Captain Castaic
05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Well 5 years ago I tent camped at French Camp....just south of Toms Place. You can walk to Toms Place at night for dinner and drinks sorta like camping next to a cicle k!
On our first day there our camp was ransacked by a bear while we were out fishing. Ate all our food for a 4 day stay on day one. Ate alot of fish that trip......

Granny Fish
05-12-2009, 09:37 PM
We used to always stay at the campground at Tom's Place (Tuff's Campground?)when the kids were small. We never had any problems with bears or heard of any. But we always cleaned up after dinner and put everything away in the bear locker. Tom's Place is a fun place and central to many fishing destinations. Best thing is the restaurant and bar close by in case you don't want to cook.

mth1997
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I was up there for a few nights last year and the word was that the Rock Creek drainage had no real bear threat. That changes by the year as they relocate problem bears, so take from that what you will. Just use common sense in camping in bear country and visit the CA DFG website for tips on being safe.

I highly recommend the hike at the end of the road. There'll be a ton of other people (I saw literally a hundred, maybe more, over the course of a day) so no solitude, but a beautiful hike in easy terrain. Several lakes to fish too.

bstolton
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Which campground by rock creek and or lake would be best for tent camping,and can you reserve or just show up and take whats left.If we arrive on a thursday I guess it should be okay.If anybody has actually stayed in a cabin at toms let me know.Mth1997 where is the trail you are talking about and how hard of a hike is it,how many lakes are back there?

Thanks Bill

mth1997
05-13-2009, 03:57 PM
There are a few campgrounds along the road as you make your way back into the canyon from Tom's Place. Most Sierra campgrounds have reservations at ReserveAmerica.com

The trail is the Little Lakes Valley trail and it is probably the easiest trail in the Sierras, hence the massive crowds that traffic the area. Out of a difficulty rating of 5, I'd call it a 1.5 or 2. There are a few parts where you'll be breathing pretty good but I think anyone who can jog a quarter mile can do that hike without difficulty. There are several lakes back there (I think you pass 4 or 5 lakes in the first 2 miles) and they're all easily accessible. Simply follow the road until it ends, and there's your trailhead. The road ends at Mosquito Flat campground which is ONLY for backpackers as a jumpoff point into the backcountry.

If you search this site a little you'll see a few reports from last summer/fall that were from that area. I did one, tacklejunkie and mattduarte had one, and another guy I think. Great pics, the fishing was only so-so for me. Beautiful place, the crowds killed it for me though. I had no idea the place was so popular.

tacklejunkie
05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
You gotta hit up the other side of the Sierras with me one day Mike.
Above Edison. Nobody back there man. Middle of nowhere :LOL:

oakboy
05-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Above Edison is awesome. That solitude. Have you ever been to Olive lake up that way?

KP
<><

tacklejunkie
05-17-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't remember hearing about Olive Lake.
Rainbow, Bathtub, Coyote and Margarette (sp) lakes were off the chain though! Way secluded and lots of "funny colored" fish in the surrounding tiny lakes and streams I don't even remember what they were.

Hiked in straight over the huge pass northwest of Edison for 2 weeks!
One day I'll make it back.. I wonder if that big rock arch is still on the trail near the top of the pass.
I remember it was so high up it was kinda creepy! Steep mountains if you step off the side of the trail.

bstolton
05-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok so you guys are making me crazy, I have to finish some projects at my house over memorial weekend then I have a dock jumpimg competion with my dog at BPS 1st weekend of june. so 2nd or 3rd weekend of june I`M off to the sierras even if I have to go by my self.

Thanks Bill

oakboy
05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I hiked in from Lake George. It was a brutal hike but got a lot of nice fish the whole way. Olive is just over the pass from graveyard lakes which is north of Edison. You really cant go wrong in the back country. I need to get out there soon!! Im going nuts down here in So. Cal!

matt duarte
05-19-2009, 10:51 AM
just got back from the sierras on sunday we stayed at french camp...all the rest of the camp sites up the road were closed due to repairs but they were workin on fixing them and opening them...when we left on sunday some were open but not all... the camping prices have been raised as well now its 20$ a night!!!!!! it was defently fun adnd defently worth every penny