PDA

View Full Version : 5/9 Speed Twin Rockfishing 1/2 Day

cat_fishes1
05-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Went out Saturday with my boyfriend out of Oxnard Harbor. The weather was pretty gray and stayed that way most of the day as we headed out toward the Channel Islands. Not too far out the captain tells us that some barracuda have been showing up and we dropped lines in some water about 60 - 80 feet deep. Didn't linger too long as nobody hooked up with any.

Got out to much deeper water and went for the rockfish. They were on the small side and even though the boat is large, there were a fair amount of fisherpeople on the boat and that meant the inevitable tangled lines. I got tangled quite a few times and at one point nearly all my line was cut off. My boyfriend caught one and I was left wondering if I would ever catch anything more than massive tangles. And there was this sealion and his buddies that followed us at every stop we made. Between him and the pelicans it was a wonder anyone was able to pull up their catch without it being snatched up.

Well, it turns out that not too much later I set aside the rod that had lost nearly all it's line and picked up another of my already rigged up rods to have another go at it. Someone nearby pulled up some mono and stated pulling it in. One of the crew saw him and asked if it was his line. Turned out to be mine and it had a fish on it, that I had felt tugging when I got cut off. The crew member re-attached the line to my reel and I reeled it in. He took my other pole and reeled it in and it turned out I had a fish on it as well. After that I caught one more, which brought my total to three. Stopped and tried for barracuda on the way back as well, but no one got bit.

The sun finally started to come out not long before we got back at 4:00.

The crew was all great and helpful. The food was very good as well. Can't wait to go back out again!

JapanRon
05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi cat_fishes1,

Great reaport !! Ha ha ha .... good going on getting all those fish ..... whatever the circumstance !! Maybe sometimes tangles are good !! I'll bet your line was not cut by the deckhand. Decks often remember lines even if not anglers !! If it was .... so be it !! If not ..... hope the person that cut the line saw you get the fish !!

Await your next report,

JapanRon

ghetto dad
05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Nice report cat......thanks...

GD