PDA

View Full Version : Cherry/Ghetto Docks

ghetto dad
05-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey guys,

After Skinner yesterday, I needed to get out again, knowing I only had about an hour. So I decided to try my luck at Cherry Beach in Long Beach before work. Loaded my gear, and left the house.

Arrived at Cherry a short time after, set up my LC rod and my d/s rod. It was a little breezy today, and every other cast produced salad or some kind of trash. So I decided to bounce from here and hit the docks at work.

Got to the landing a few minutes later, set up my d/s rod with a ¼ oz d/s sinker, a #2/0 worm hook, and a 4” Swimming Mullet GULP in camo. First cast I got smacked, and missed the fish. Second cast, nothing so I decided to hit another part of the docks, where I know there is structure. First cast along side the boat, I got smacked violently, and set the hook hard! This fish pulled back as hard as I set the hook, and immediately took a little line. After a short battle, I landed this:

SOLID 2-2 ½ lb Spottie!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10111.jpg

Released the fish, and saw that I only had a few minutes left, and hit 2 more different spots on the dock.

First spot, immediately I get bent, hard, and fish spits the hook. Damn it, lol, it was another nice fish!! Second spot, same thing…twitch…twitch…BAM!!! Bendo!! Spits the hook!

By now I am already late for work 5 minutes, and get ready to take my GULP off and go to work, when Capt Eddie from the Eldorado came over and said “I saw that last hookup, can I use your rod and try?” I told him no worries, and went up to the landing to clock in. About 5 minutes later, Eddie comes into the office with this “WTF???” look on his face, and I also noticed that there was no more d/s rig set up. He tells me “Dude, I hooked a BIG fish” and explained to me that this fish destroyed him, and got him around the piling and broke him off. I also did see about 15 feet of frayed line. So I rigged him up again, and sent him on a mission.

He comes up about 10 minutes later, and poor guy looks sad. I asked him what was wrong, and he tells me the same thing happened to him…again….lol…poor Eddie. There are some NICE fish around here, and as I am typing this, do you guys know how BAD I want to got back down there and fish?? Lol…thanks for reading guys….

victor101
05-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Dam....get ready for a bunch of pms for permission to fish the docks LOL. Good job man. i knew there were some big fish there! Funny what happend to eddie! LMAO. See u Sunday!

boxl0bster
05-12-2009, 02:10 PM
lol good job gd, man you make me want to get back out there again!! and i just got home too lol. dude shoot me a pm next time you go. :Razz:

cappo
05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
lol good report man. Can you pm me the location, I wont bring too many people.

ghetto dad
05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Dam....get ready for a bunch of pms for permission to fish the docks LOL. Good job man. i knew there were some big fish there! Funny what happend to eddie! LMAO. See u Sunday!

Thanks homie...and for any lurkers out there thinking they are coming down here to fish....I will call harbor patrol, and we have 24 hour surveillance....INVITE only...private docks!!

lol good job gd, man you make me want to get back out there again!! and i just got home too lol. dude shoot me a pm next time you go. :Razz:

lol..thanks homie!!

ure one of the "invited" lol....

thanks guys......

GD

THROWBACK RANGER
05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Excuse me sir, there is no fishing allowed on the docks!!!!!!

TShaffer
05-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Man when you finally catch that beast I wanna see the pics!

ghetto dad
05-12-2009, 03:45 PM

:ROFL:

lol...Eddies two fish he hooked had to have been bigger then mine that I lost...he got destroyed....thanks man...

GD

Ricky-Ray
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Can I bring my batman pole and try for that monster?????? :)

DEADROOTS
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Ya me too!

Jackpot Jimmy
05-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd go down and try, but some random guy watching me will tell me, "Hey kid, it's a private dock! No fishing! Can't you read?" Can't say how many times someone's told me that after getting permission to fish, or when my dad's a few feet away talking to a captain, and I'm making a few casts...

Nice report Steve! If you or Eddie finally lands it, be sure to take a picture!

Jackpot Jimmy
05-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I've done that before in fact... once when fishing Dana Point Harbor, I got busted off on a rock by something big. Went back the next day at the same spot, and caught a 2# sandie on 4# that had my hook in it from the day before. Just goes to show you WILL get a rebite out of some of those fish!

Troutman65
05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Its about time you fished your front yard.:Wink::Envious::Cool:

supasportkid
05-12-2009, 05:34 PM
nice spottie. i caught alotta nice spotties and sand bass by there. i even caught a few short wsb. i worked off of pier d, when you r leaving your dock, its on the left (big brown factory with the big dome outside). i had to fish only at night so i wouldnt get busted! got layed off about 10 months ago. well i look forward to seein your next report on what you pull outta there!

Jaysuuun
05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Looks like you've found a new Hot Spottie and it's so much closer to work! LOL Can't believe you've never fished there before. Nice spottie btw. I think you'll be catching some nicer models out of there soon. :Cool:

jerryG
05-13-2009, 01:26 AM
I always thought that little spot might hold some spotties. Sounds like spectra might be the way to go there. I bet that spots holds some halibut at times as well. You just never know. LIke the when that 90 lbs YFT was free gaffed from that dock. Now that was a freak catch. If there 90 lb tuna cruising around those docks all the time you would never make in to the office. You should try the spot at night On a good tide swing it should be even better than during the day. Thanks for the report Homie..

Jerryg

deanhall32
05-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Think of all the gas you wasted driving to wherever you have been fishing!! I can see it now. I pull up in the parking lot and see a sign in the office window that says " Gone fishing. Please leave your reservation money in the drop box. Be back later." Then I look down and next to the Icon is some old guy ( how old are you?) with his eyebrow pierced sitting in a beach chair with this big ol straw hat on watching his bobber!!

ghetto dad
05-13-2009, 08:34 AM

Yah, i know huh!! :Smile:

nice spottie. i caught alotta nice spotties and sand bass by there. i even caught a few short wsb. i worked off of pier d, when you r leaving your dock, its on the left (big brown factory with the big dome outside). i had to fish only at night so i wouldnt get busted! got layed off about 10 months ago. well i look forward to seein your next report on what you pull outta there!

Lol..i dont know how much ima fish down there...it just dont feel like im "fishing"....if that makes sense...

Looks like you've found a new Hot Spottie and it's so much closer to work! LOL Can't believe you've never fished there before. Nice spottie btw. I think you'll be catching some nicer models out of there soon. :Cool:

Nah man....NPH NPH NPH.......thanks jay

I always thought that little spot might hold some spotties. Sounds like spectra might be the way to go there. I bet that spots holds some halibut at times as well. You just never know. LIke the when that 90 lbs YFT was free gaffed from that dock. Now that was a freak catch. If there 90 lb tuna cruising around those docks all the time you would never make in to the office. You should try the spot at night On a good tide swing it should be even better than during the day. Thanks for the report Homie..

Jerryg

SUP JERRY!!!! Yeah, i remember that tuna...crazy huh.....i hope all is well with you homie...take care

Think of all the gas you wasted driving to wherever you have been fishing!! I can see it now. I pull up in the parking lot and see a sign in the office window that says " Gone fishing. Please leave your reservation money in the drop box. Be back later." Then I look down and next to the Icon is some old guy ( how old are you?) with his eyebrow pierced sitting in a beach chair with this big ol straw hat on watching his bobber!!

LMAO!!!! :ROFL::ROFL:My eybrow isnt pierced anymore by the way coach..damn hole closed when i took it out for something....:Evil: cant remember what tho....oh, and im almost 40.,....grrrr

Thanks guys....

GD

fisherbabe
05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
:ROFL:Looks like you will be seeing us at the docks one of these days!! You should start selling tickets to fish the docks.. HAHHAHAAAHhaaaaa.... just a thought! RR with his batman rod and Ill be there with my barbie rod!:ROFL:

ghetto dad
05-13-2009, 09:48 AM
:ROFL:Looks like you will be seeing us at the docks one of these days!! You should start selling tickets to fish the docks.. HAHHAHAAAHhaaaaa.... just a thought! RR with his batman rod and Ill be there with my barbie rod!:ROFL:

lol..i was thinking the same thing...selling tickets...lmao

GD

jerryG
05-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Steve you should start a guide service.. I could see it now Ghetto Dock Guide Service.. Now accepting reservations for fishing the prestine back waters of LB harbor with Guide Ghetto Dad AKA the Dock Father. LOL!

JerryG

ghetto dad
05-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Ok just wanted to make sure i didnt miss anyone...

lol...ok

thanks

pm sent

lmao

me too

Can I bring my batman pole and try for that monster?????? :)

sure

Ya me too!

lol

I'd go down and try, but some random guy watching me will tell me, "Hey kid, it's a private dock! No fishing! Can't you read?" Can't say how many times someone's told me that after getting permission to fish, or when my dad's a few feet away talking to a captain, and I'm making a few casts...

Nice report Steve! If you or Eddie finally lands it, be sure to take a picture!

werd

I've done that before in fact... once when fishing Dana Point Harbor, I got busted off on a rock by something big. Went back the next day at the same spot, and caught a 2# sandie on 4# that had my hook in it from the day before. Just goes to show you WILL get a rebite out of some of those fish!

come on down parick

ok

i hope

Jerryg

hey no worries jerry

lmao

nice

Steve you should start a guide service.. I could see it now Ghetto Dock Guide Service.. Now accepting reservations for fishing the prestine back waters of LB harbor with Guide Ghetto Dad AKA the Dock Father. LOL!

JerryG

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

ok...replied to every one....:ROFL::ROFL:

GD

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Here is a few

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:03 PM
more replies to

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
your thread Steve.

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Great job on

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:05 PM
the nice catch.

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Keep up the nice work

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:06 PM
and thanks for the report. :Wink:

ghetto dad
05-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Here is a few

thanks man, i

more replies to

really appreciate

your thread Steve.

the effort

Great job on

that you put

the nice catch.

into this reply, it is

Keep up the nice work

greatly appreciated

GD

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:08 PM
See you at

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:08 PM
the Legends III event. :Cool:

Jackpot Jimmy
05-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Ok just wanted to make sure i didnt miss anyone...

lol...ok

thanks

pm sent

lmao

me too

sure

lol

werd

come on down parick

ok

i hope

hey no worries jerry

lmao

nice

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

ok...replied to every one....:ROFL::ROFL:

GD

Weird :ROFL:

ghetto dad
05-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

i dont know

See you at

if i can make it...but thanks arthur, i will still try

the Legends III event. :Cool:

to send some donations to the event....:Wink:

GD

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:12 PM
the support Steve. :ROFL:

ghetto dad
05-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Wooo hooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wingnut status!!!!! Finally!!! :rofl::rofl:

Wingnut
05-15-2009, 11:16 PM
:ROFL: :Dancing Banana: :ROFL: :Dancing Banana: :ROFL: :Dancing Banana:

flyngby
05-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Guess I will have to expand my horizons in the search for the Spotties!

Nice job on the break again Steve!

Steve

Bradakas
05-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Can I get an invite too! lol