PDA

View Full Version : Brook Trout

bowler
05-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I am planning to go to the Sierra in the last week of June. Does anybody have on good place to catch some brook trout. I want to try fly fishing for them. I never fly fish in the Sierra for Trout i have done it in Azusa Canyon for trout i have good luck up there. I would like to try some of the back lake up there that are close to walk to in less then a hour.

retired96
05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
go to the back country lakes in Rock Creek, there is a nice trail and numerous high elevation lakes that have Brook trout.

Crawler
05-12-2009, 02:13 PM
PM sent.

Oh, and little lakes valley (above rock creek lake) is also a nice place to fish like retired96 said.

TypeCast
05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
If you are staying closer to mammoth, try the lakes up the Duck Pass trail (trailhead at back of coldwater campground near Lake Mary)......first lake is Arrowhead, you can get there in 45 mins at a SLOW pace.

Hard to keep them off in most backcountry lakes....arrowhead has kamloop rainbows in there too.

If staying at Rock Creek, agreed that the Mosquito Flats area is good for brookies and is an easy hike.

dockboy
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
what typecast said was pretty good. Most the small meadow creeks in the Eastern Sierra have brookies and browns, espcially out towards the June Lake loop. Lake Mamie has brookies, as does Twin Lakes in Mammoth, though you only pick them up really around the inlets and waterfall if you are at Twin. My favorite place for brookies there is the Coldwater Campground area, along the upper sections of the creek below the first lake on the loop (Gem, if Im not mistaken) and the lakes there. Its an easy hike, bring bug spray for sure. The creek there does have some very decent size fish for brookies, some in the 12"+ class so be sure to practice some C&R on the bigger models :Cool:

Big Country
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
If you're going as far as Bridgeport, try Green Creek all the way back where the road ends...lots of brookies in there.

bowler
05-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Thank you for the info. I will try some of the lake that you told me about when i go up in June with my Girlfriend. She has never be to the Sierra. The only trout that she has gotten was Rainbow. So i want to get her into some different kind of Trout that she has never got before.

fishslayer01
05-14-2009, 12:03 PM
if you dont want to have to hike to far there are brookies in Lake Mary in Mammoth, I found a school of them there once where a small creek feeds into the lake.
They were very spooky and I was only able to get them on a fly & bubble rig casting WAY out behind them and slowly bringing it back up through them.

hughpam
05-14-2009, 01:28 PM
For flies, get lots of elk hair cadis in size 14 and 16, and for late season use hoppers. These are dry flies. Also try griffiths gnats in sizes 24-18, and ants (yup, just like the bug) in size 6-10. They come in black and red (rust) and are about 1/4 - 3/8 inch.

Also dry wet flies. I like them better than nymphs in the Sierra streams because of the shallowness of most of the streams. Use natural colors for brookies.

Take and post pics!