PDA

View Full Version : Convict Lake

xxwake4lifexx
05-11-2009, 09:55 PM
So 5 buddies and myself are going to Convict Lake this summer for a camping/fishing trip. I haven't been up there in years and none of them have ever been up there. What a shame, right? Well anyway I just wanted to find someone who was familiar with the campground a little more. Specifically if you could post some updated pictures and let me know which campsites are along the creek.

Thanks guys.

Okay if no one knows which sites are along the creek then maybe someone knows how long it takes to hike through the path out of Convict to those local lakes further into the forest?

kelly k
05-16-2009, 11:40 AM
It's a great CG, if you have a reservations, here's a map with all the camp spots, you can also see if the spaces are open to make a reservation. All the camp spots to the north are next to the creek, the ones closer to the lake are a little farther from camp.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_Convict_Lake_Campground_Ca/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75172&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

As far as the hike, I have no idea.

J-hook
05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I was there in Oct for 6 nights. That link to the map that Kelly has is good, but only shows the reservable ones. There are some that are open to drive-ins.

The first loop you see closest to the lake is open like a grass meadow. Most of those first ones are more for RV. The second loop away from the lake has bushes and small poplar/aspen trees (wind break). Around that loop and just beyond are more for tent/car campers. The ones further one down the road are next to the stream. The road is wider there and this is better for RV. I don't recall if there are tent sites, but I think so. All sites had bear boxes.

Have they upgraded in the 5 since you been there? The restrooms are nice tile and flush. Each one has water spigot outside.

jworthylal42
05-19-2009, 04:13 PM
there is a great book called the guide to the eastern sierras by chris shaffer it has all the hike in lakes with detailed directions and a rating of one threw 10 for each lake it also has much more info on all the lakes in that area it goes for about $25 but is well worth it you can find it at sports chalet or on line at amazon its a must have for a trip to the eastern sierras hope it helps

fishfinder
05-19-2009, 05:34 PM
okay last time i went there. (about 3-4 years ago) i decided i wouldn't camp there anymore cause i always went to the same place and never saw something new. now i have been to many other sites and for sure wont camp there anymore. there isnt enough shade in the sites, and it is always pretty full. leaving me to take whatever site is available.
but the ones downhill to the left are the only ones that are really close. the ones on top the hill you have to hike down a hill to get to them.
the sites up by rockcrek lake are way better to get a spot by the creek.
some are reserve and some are first come.
we did have some bears walk through the camp while we were there, and we thought that was cool, and when we came back to camp one day about 9am the neighbors were feeding a deer cherrios right out of there hand. the campground isn't bad, there are just better ones out there. i liked the campgrounds up by lake mary, but they dont open usually til end of june. i will be up at convict next weekend though to eat at the resturaunt there and possibly fish the inlet.

xxwake4lifexx
05-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah I haven't been there in years. I was probably there when I was 13 or 14 and I'm 20 now, so its been quite a while. I thought about camping up at Silver Lake too. What's the campground like up there?

fishfinder
05-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah I haven't been there in years. I was probably there when I was 13 or 14 and I'm 20 now, so its been quite a while. I thought about camping up at Silver Lake too. What's the campground like up there?

havent been to silverwood in 5 years. i just remember out in the open, no shade and caught in the wind.
try here:
http://www.rockcreeklake.com/camping/

nice campgrounds, and lots of trees in most. try to stay in the higher elevation ones. east fork is large and can be a zoo, but it is one of the nicest in the sierrras. most shade is by the stream. the descriptions on some of them when you go to reserve will tell something about them.
it's hard to go wrong as long as you are in the sierras.

xxwake4lifexx
05-20-2009, 11:15 AM
havent been to silverwood in 5 years. i just remember out in the open, no shade and caught in the wind.
try here:
http://www.rockcreeklake.com/camping/

nice campgrounds, and lots of trees in most. try to stay in the higher elevation ones. east fork is large and can be a zoo, but it is one of the nicest in the sierrras. most shade is by the stream. the descriptions on some of them when you go to reserve will tell something about them.
it's hard to go wrong as long as you are in the sierras.

Rock Creek looks pretty nice. Maybe we'll give that place a try.

matt duarte
05-20-2009, 11:40 AM
i just got back from rock creek on sunday.. i posted a report it shows all of rock creek check it out! we went to convict while we were there as well and i would 100% rather be at rock creek you wont be dissapointed i promise you

xxwake4lifexx
05-20-2009, 01:21 PM
i just got back from rock creek on sunday.. i posted a report it shows all of rock creek check it out! we went to convict while we were there as well and i would 100% rather be at rock creek you wont be dissapointed i promise you

I'm really thinking about it. I'm looking at the sites online through Reserve America and I'd like to get a site near the creek.

We're going July 9th, which is a Thursday. Do you guys think I should try to make a reservation, or do you think it'll be open enough to choose as we please?

matt duarte
05-20-2009, 01:51 PM
we stayed at french camp our camp site was only 50ft away proly less from the creek it was awesome...i wish we would of stayed at big medow campground but it was closed when we got there...if you want a camp close to the creek in make a reservation...you might get lucky though goin up on a tuesday..we went up on a wensday and there really wasnt anyone there...untill the weekend and the camp was full..

fishfinder
05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm really thinking about it. I'm looking at the sites online through Reserve America and I'd like to get a site near the creek.

We're going July 9th, which is a Thursday. Do you guys think I should try to make a reservation, or do you think it'll be open enough to choose as we please?

the campgrounds are way busier during the week in july than may. it will probably be take what you can get then. but you should still get a good campsite. i am going to be up there next weekend 28-31.
i am going to be going through a bunch of campsites that take reservations and write down the best camp #'s. if you shoot me a PM after i get back i will send you the list, so you can reserve a good spot. thtas why we are shooting up blind this time, cause i don't want to reserve a bad campground

smokinflies
05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
okay last time i went there. (about 3-4 years ago) i decided i wouldn't camp there anymore cause i always went to the same place and never saw something new. now i have been to many other sites and for sure wont camp there anymore. there isnt enough shade in the sites, and it is always pretty full. leaving me to take whatever site is available.
but the ones downhill to the left are the only ones that are really close. the ones on top the hill you have to hike down a hill to get to them.
the sites up by rockcrek lake are way better to get a spot by the creek.
some are reserve and some are first come.
we did have some bears walk through the camp while we were there, and we thought that was cool, and when we came back to camp one day about 9am the neighbors were feeding a deer cherrios right out of there hand. the campground isn't bad, there are just better ones out there. i liked the campgrounds up by lake mary, but they dont open usually til end of june. i will be up at convict next weekend though to eat at the resturaunt there and possibly fish the inlet.

yup, there's a sweet spot around the inlet area. find the spot and jig salmon eggs slowly along the bottom and the trout will strike.

good luck trying to eat at that convict lake restaurant. i've heard that they don't let anglers eat there, unless you're suited up.

good luck

fishfinder
05-20-2009, 08:54 PM
yup, there's a sweet spot around the inlet area. find the spot and jig salmon eggs slowly along the bottom and the trout will strike.

good luck trying to eat at that convict lake restaurant. i've heard that they don't let anglers eat there, unless you're suited up.

good luck

we will be (collars and no jeans)

fishfinder
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
just click on the blue area you want to see
http://sierranevadawild.gov/map/

xxwake4lifexx
05-21-2009, 11:25 AM
the campgrounds are way busier during the week in july than may. it will probably be take what you can get then. but you should still get a good campsite. i am going to be up there next weekend 28-31.
i am going to be going through a bunch of campsites that take reservations and write down the best camp #'s. if you shoot me a PM after i get back i will send you the list, so you can reserve a good spot. thtas why we are shooting up blind this time, cause i don't want to reserve a bad campground

That would be awesome. I'd really appreciate that. You're going to take lots of pictures, right?

I just wanted to reserve a site right next to a creek if I could. Wanted some place some what secluded and in trees or at least partially shaded.

matt duarte
05-21-2009, 12:54 PM
rock creek is your best bet than...french camp is covered in trees...as well as others above french camp..convict lake campground has no trees kinda like a desert campground

fishfinder
05-21-2009, 03:30 PM
That would be awesome. I'd really appreciate that. You're going to take lots of pictures, right?

I just wanted to reserve a site right next to a creek if I could. Wanted some place some what secluded and in trees or at least partially shaded.

i will get some pics of camp, but if i don't write down the pic # and where it is. i wont know which ones are which. i am going to print out all the maps for the campgrounds and bring them with to mark the good ones and make notes on them.

xxwake4lifexx
05-22-2009, 12:54 PM
i will get some pics of camp, but if i don't write down the pic # and where it is. i wont know which ones are which. i am going to print out all the maps for the campgrounds and bring them with to mark the good ones and make notes on them.

Awesome. :)

smokinflies
05-22-2009, 03:37 PM
we will be (collars and no jeans)

lol. you might get in

just click on the blue area you want to see
http://sierranevadawild.gov/map/

great find. maybe you will get to the convict lake restaurant.

remember to look for that honey hole by the inlet.

fishfinder
05-22-2009, 09:46 PM
just got reservations for convict restraunt, they said casual dress, no collars required. specialty is beef wellington.

mammothfishin
05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
The hike to Mildred Lake is about two hours and another half an hour to Dorothy.