PDA

View Full Version : Overnight 5/9-5/10

olfishergal
05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone: Finally got out for my overnighter after (3) cancellations from various boats, ended up on the Freedom out of 22nd st landing. Left promptly at 10PM. Picked up bait at SanPedro Bait then headed to Catalina where a boat was waiting for us with live squid. We each had to pitch in $5.00 for the squid. BTW there were only 20 total on board, 18 paid. (3) of us were ladies including my friend Marion another Gold coast lady angler, and another lady with a guy. Anyway, woke up early Sunday morning in a nice quiet cove off San Celemente. Right off the bat yhr bonies were hitting anything thrown to them. Then the cudas started. Only (1) was kept on the boat as the rest were short. Then it happened!!!!! The 1st yellow tail of the season for the Freedom was brought aboard. He was caught on a crock.....all silver. After I only caught one bonie I got tired of competing with the adrenaline and went to the port side to fish the bottom. Managed a few whites and reds before time to move the boat. After the move the boys continued the hunt for YT.....In the meantime I managed to catch a few sandies and a couple calicos which I released to grow bigger. There was a 6-7 lbs calico caught and released to make more babies. The same guy who landed the big calico also got the jackpot fish which was a big ol Halibut around 35-40 lbs. We ended the day rock fishing and it was WFO. Got my limit of Salmon Groupers and vermillions as well as a limit of whitefish. Marion did just as well on the rock fish. I also threw assorted plastics, lures, etc for not much love. seems they wanted bait today.. One of the calicos I landed was on a live chovy. Facing a 41/2 5 hour ride back to port, took a nice long nap. The crew of this boat was very nice and helpful. Standard boat food, nothing special. Interesting that you pay $2.00 for a gunney sack that is already hanging and used........hummmm Tried to ignore a few rude guys who hogged the stern to themselves. Had to laugh, neither one of them caught anything worth keeping. One of them a Russian speaking guy was really disgusting. I was sitting in the galley when he and his freind came in for lunch. Ever see a garbage disposal at work? Thats how this guy ate....mouth smacking, food swirling, then trying to talk with a mouthful......sorry for his partner, he was picking food off his shirt from the spray.....yukkkk.. anyway (4) heads on this boat and thank God a ladies only one cuz the ones inside the galley were disgusting. Obviously there was no bleach available to clean with, soap for that matter. Bunks were comfortable. Ride was smooth too. Got back to port around 9pm. we stayed out a little late cuz the cpt wanted another YT that wasn't meant to be. Basically Marion and I both enjoyed spending our Mother's day free of the BS doing something we both love.......fishing. I would go out on this boat again if they decide to clean it up a little bit. I am out on the Aloha Spirit next sat for an all dayer and will share my report. Hopefully I will remember the camera next week snce I left mine in the car. Thanks for reading......OFG

here is the count for the boat
Freedom Overnight 20 pass 40 Bocaccio, 1 Halibut, 12 California Sheephead, 7 Halfmoon, 16 Calico Bass, 6 Lingcod, 34 Whitefish, 3 Bonito, 1 Yellowtail, 120 Rockfish

ghetto dad
05-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Yo, OFG...im SO glad you got out!!!!! Thanks for the report!!

GD

JapanRon
05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi olfishergal,

Thanks for the usual great report and smel ....... er ...... color commentary. On the head conditions ... when are these boats gonna learn ?? Been on some boats with head designs where they can just put a little pressure on the washdown hose and it's pristine in seconds !!

Sounds like decent catching of the variety type. I'm with you ..... not interested in going for the gold and running around to catch BRAGGIN' type fish !! Drove me crazy a coupla years ago running around for what ...... one or two Dorado for the whole boat of 65 people !! The good skipper sets right on a place where the Hail-Mary guys and the any-action-is-cool group (me included) are kept happy ! :)

Sorry there was no love on the plastic.

The Soviet Union had time to do a number on both the Russian people as well as the low countires and Balkin states' inhabitats ! Had a 75 year old buddy from the Ukraine (now deceased) that had serious issues with respect towards authority or the social mores of 'polite' society !! There is no reasoning with this certain mindset !!

Good luck to you and Marion on your next trip !! Await the read.

JapanRon

deanhall32
05-11-2009, 07:17 PM
OFG,

Enjoyed reading your report. Felt like I was right there with you. Can't think of a better way to enjoy a holiday then being where you want to be.

Great job and you are on a roll!!!!

Dean

sansou
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Nice job OFG!

Glad you got on some rockfish. Nice way to spend Mother's Day!

On your next report we need PICS !!

See you around!

bruce watson
05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Do you need my address for those fish taco deliveries? Not going to happen, huh? It sounds like you ladies had a great mothers day. When's fathers day?

Bucket bay
05-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Good job OFG!

love the report and the yellow is good know.

olfishergal
05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys for all the great comments..........JR We need to fish sometime. Dean......I plan to keep rollin, Rich, how many pics do u need of a crazy old lady roxkfishin lol. I'll take a pic as soon as I catch another YT. Thanks for the nice comments Bucketbay... GD, thanks for your help. Let me know when its a go. Bruce, you want fish tacos, come and get um.........:ROFL:Fathers day is June something or other......Am sure I will be fishing somewhere if you want to join me sometime let me know. OK, OK, I promise to take some pics next weekend when I'm out on the Aloha spirit fishing with the lady angelers. Its a girls only trip lol.....OFG

Ricky-Ray
05-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Great report OFG. Hope to fish with you soon.

Jig-Guy
05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Great report:Big Grin:, thanks for taking the time so that we learned how it went out there. You and you friends came home with no :Skunk: and thats great. I think that fishing with the folks of Team 57 is cool since most folks are kind
of nice or respectful. Maybe a local charter should be put together with the team. You girls have a good trip in the future and I will look forward to your report.

Jig-Guy

Native Gal
05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
OFG,
Thanks for the report and will be looking forward to next weekends fishing report.

NG
:Big Grin:

LA Smoker
05-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Bunks were comfortable.

Are you sure you were on the Freedom? j/k kinda... BTW who ran the boat?

victor101
05-12-2009, 08:23 PM
GREAT report OFG! cant wait til the water warms up a few more degrees....

Granny Fish
05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Great report OFG. Hoping I can get out there with you one of these times. :Cool:

olfishergal
05-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Great report OFG. Hope to fish with you soon.

Thanks Ricky, and yup we will be fishing together soon. Thanks Jig, It was fun, Victor, can't wait to fish with you again LA smoker I have been in a bunk or two that were no bigger than a coffin, had to get out to turn over M leegal....going after WSB and Butts this weekend,....Granny, c'mom gf lets fish.....its such fun out there playing with the boyzzzzz

Troutman65
05-12-2009, 10:55 PM
OFG, Great read. Thanks for the report . :Cool::Envious:

fisherbabe
05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
SOrry to hear that there were the "rude" ones out there. I hate it when that happens to me too but its funny because even though they were hogging the stern, they still cant catch anything!! I just tend to ignore them but sometimes you just want to smack them upside the head.. LOL... Glad you enjoyed yourself and brought home taco meat! Happy Mother's Day!

smitty99
05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I thought you liked "See-Food" :LOL: