PDA

View Full Version : Sarl 5/10

ElementX
05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I took my inflatable pontoon to SARL on Sun. Not much action going on there as the fishermen were very loosely scattered around the lake. No boats in the water and you could probably fish anywhere you wanted on shore. I guess fishing isn't the first choice for a Mother's day holiday.

Got there at about 10:30am and was set up with rods in the water at about 11:30. Moved around the lake a few times but got no action from trout or cats. I had stinky shrimp on the catfish rod and mealworms on my trout rod. After about an hour I got bored and decided to practice various fishing techniques on the little fish.

I pulled up about 15-20 small fish in about 3 hrs. They were a combination of bluegill and LM Bass. They were hitting the mealworms so fast that I spent more time retying and baiting my line than holding the handle end of the rod. Halfway through I got the bright idea of doubling up the hooks. That was awesome because I then started pulling up 2 fish at a time. Never done that before so it was great fun. I caught more bass than bluegill. They're all about 5" right now.

As for the trout...I saw more floating around dead and on shore than on anyone's stringers. Seems like the stocking at SARL has been horrible the past 2 months. However, I might go back there some time this week just to get in some more practice on the little fish. I want to try to get 3 at a time!

TShaffer
05-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Is the water getting too warm for the trout? The catfish need to start biting!

ElementX
05-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm heading back tomorrow morning so I'll let you know what the water temp reads on my fish finder.

boxl0bster
05-12-2009, 12:42 AM
ouch not good for trout. i was thinking about hitting it up ONE LAST TIME for trout. those tailwalkers are driving me nuts. looks like ill have to wait till next year. thanks for the report, sounds like you had a pretty good day on the water even if the fish were small.

CASTAWAY
05-12-2009, 07:20 AM
At least you're catching something. Thanks for the report.

JusStartnOut
05-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Good to here you caught some fish. I was there on Sat. there was 10 in our group, only one caught a fish. it was horrible. what i did see was hundreds of shad swimming along the shoreline. there was so many, i was able to grab one bare handed.

saintarv
05-12-2009, 09:54 AM
At least you're catching something. Thanks for the report.

Ditto...........:LOL:

ElementX
05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Yup there are definitely tons of small fish swimming the shoreline right now. Its fish mating season so we're gonna see tons more show up in the next month.

So I went today again and pulled up another 15 or so fish. I went out there specifically hoping to land a bunch of bluegills to fry up, but instead I managed to pull up 14 LM Bass and 1 single bluegill. All the bass were again about 5" except for maybe 3 that would of been eating size.

The biggest bass was about at least 2 lbs and I ended up keeping him because I wasn't sure if he was a bass or crappie. :ROFL: Believe it or not, I've pulled up more fish in the last 2 trips than I have in the past year combined. I've only caught 1 bass before these last 2 trips and I knew for sure it was a LM Bass because it was a 4 pounder that I pulled up in the lake across the street at SARL. It had a monster mouth and solid black marble looking eyes. I guess today the big one I caught was a wiper. I'm starting to think the fish I've seen people catch that I thought were crappie are the hybrid wipers.

I guess when you cant get any catfish or trout, pulling up tons of fish makes it still very enjoyable. I was probably pulling up a fish on 1 out of every 3 cast. Its been great practice. I think I've got my hook set down :Big Grin:

Oh, and the water was 72 on my fish finder today.

ElementX
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Almost forgot...lake was dead today....slow Tuesday I guess. Hardly anyone there and of those that were, most were grouped near each other. When I came off that 55/91 interchange where you can see the lake, I thought there was nobody there.

A few of the guys fishing the boat ramp pulled up some cats and bluegills. One nice gentleman got 5 cats and a few bluegills. The cats were all in the 2 lb range. Nothing spectacular for anyone today. I didn't even manage to pull up double fish today.

ElementX
05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
OK, so what fish is this? Sorry about the bad quailty. They're stills from a low resolution camcorder.

FISH_HUNTER
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
ok, so what fish is this? Sorry about the bad quailty. They're stills from a low resolution camcorder.

that's a crappie

CASTAWAY
05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
that's a crappie

Ditto!!!:Big Grin:

ElementX
05-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Thats guys! Good thing I didnt let that guy sucker me into giving him my "bass" :Rolls Eyes: