PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fast!!!

sgtskunk
05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey thinking of hittin up Dixon lake tomorrow, any insight would help. (trout, Bass, etc) what is being caught where and what bait. I want to try for bass since I finally broke down and got a bass rod. Please help me out am I better off going to castaic or piru? help me out and theres a nice Army Strong gift bag in it for you. Thanks guys tight lines.

SSG Sotela aka the Skunk

Eyethautunew
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I know in forums people usually help each other out, But honestly if you have been here long enough; Your not gonna get details like that. Come on now... you cant see people blacking out their pictures. I mean dont get me wrong there are some cool people on here who dont mind sharing info. But with others its like asking the winning lotto numbers for the next big jackpot. Check out the lakes website, itll be much more help.

bsp
05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
It''s a tough call right now. Dixon bass are really smart since that lake gets hammered by the trophy hunters looking for the next "Dotty." You really need a boat to fish Dixon effectively for bass, so take that into consideration. The males are probably guarding fry and the females are still shallow, so jerkbaits, topwaters in the morining, and spinner baits in bluegill or chartreuses and whites will do well. Target shallow shoreline structure as opposed to using a topo map to hit underwater points. If those reaction baits don't work, go with jigs or Senkos a little farther off the bank. I am assuming you bought a baitcasting rod to try out, and this will be a better lake than Castaic for that purpose.

If you live closer to Castaic (or don't want to rent a boat), you could give the Lagoon a try as opposed to the main lake. It has a good largemouth population and you generally can pick up two or three on the dropshot rig from shore (4in roboworms, 1/8oz or 1/4oz weights, and 6lb line). Just hike around and target the points and depth changes that you can see with your polarized glasses and you'll pick a few up. Don't forget to get a Richman's sandwich from the Alliance gas station.

Basically, target Dixon if you want to rent a boat and try out more "traditional" bass techniques, or give the Lagoon a try with the dropshot rig from shore for a cheaper bassing trip.

No need for the gift bag either, just post a report!