PDA

View Full Version : Piru 5-10-2009 w/ Pics

BuzzBait
05-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Since last weeks outing, my husband had been busy painting another replica of his bait for me. Then, he painted this awesome looking blue gill bait. He was stoked! He couldn't wait to give it a try. So, sunday morning came and I woke up around 3:45 am. Alright! We can possibly make it there super early. We launched around 7 am and there was a thick layer of fog. Visibility was around 200 ft.. It was dead calm. I had anticipated it to be clear and sunny. Good thing my husband is always prepared and brought jackets. The air temp was 54°. I caught the first fish of the day on my husbands custom painted crankbait. It's been awhile since I last caught the first fish of the day. Maybe after my husbands third cast, he lost his custom painted bait. The line broke and left him with half a spool. He was fuming! :Soap Box: We searched for the bait and did not find it. After that, my husbands stomach was hurting so he decided to hit the SSrelief. I fished around the docks while waiting. I can see that some of the fog is beginning to burn away. There was a dude catching bass and keeping them. Argh! :Angry: So, I turned away to see my husband walking back. There was a dude on the dock throwing a spinning lure and spoke to my husband a brief moment. So, we were back to catch us some fish. My husband had to respool his rig pissed. The day went on becoming treacherous. The winds were not cool. The swells were high and white capped. We crossed the lake with fun and fear. The boat jumped out of the water a few times while riding the waves. This time around we learned our lesson from the previous week. Conserve the trolling motor battery power. We anchored up and caught a few decent fish at this shallow cove and tons of small fish. Then my husband lost his other custom painted bait. Same thing happened. Line broke and left him with half a spool. :Angry: This time around. His day was pretty much ruined. We then went to the honey hole to catch nothing. We returned to our first spot and caught a few small dinkers. The wind was just too strong to troll along the banks. So, we anchored up for a long while hoping for the wind to die down but it didn't. We went back to the shallow cove and caught one good fish and tons of dinkers. My husband also caught a pretty fat blue gill on his crankbait. Anchored up and waited for the wind to die down. Later on that day the wind finally eased up. It was still windy but not as bad. We had a good 2 hours left to fish before the lake closed and decided to burn the banks. We caught a couple of good fish and tons of little fish. The day all in all was weird and frustrating.

BuzzBait

bassinnut
05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Sounds like your husband got un lucky with bad spool. Congrats on the quality bass. Casitas was foggy as well but the wind was a non-issue

Santa Fe Eric
05-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Nice work!
Nice Fish!
Nice Family!

BuzzBait
05-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Sounds like your husband got un lucky with bad spool. Congrats on the quality bass. Casitas was foggy as well but the wind was a non-issue

I've been wanting to go down there for the longest time. I wonder how long the wait is to get in with a boat? I heard they charge for boat inspections...

BuzzBait
05-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Nice work!
Nice Fish!
Nice Family!

Always a pleasure. Thanks!

bassinnut
05-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I've been wanting to go down there for the longest time. I wonder how long the wait is to get in with a boat? I heard they charge for boat inspections...

Buzzbait,

The charge for the inspection and lock is $50. If your boat passes the inspection then you are subject to a 10 day quarrantine. The lake gives you a tag that attaches to your transom and will give you a new tag when you exit the lake. The catch is that if wanted to fish Piru you will need to go through the entire process again but they will not charge you for the lock and cable for a second inspection.

BuzzBait
05-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Buzzbait,

The charge for the inspection and lock is $50. If your boat passes the inspection then you are subject to a 10 day quarrantine. The lake gives you a tag that attaches to your transom and will give you a new tag when you exit the lake. The catch is that if wanted to fish Piru you will need to go through the entire process again but they will not charge you for the lock and cable for a second inspection.

Damn that sucks! It's not like we live right around the corner from that lake. Two trips just to get in. I guess... it'll be awhile before we go fishing there.

Thanks for the info. That's really helpful.