PDA

View Full Version : Defeat and ultimately success in Blythe

Nightstalker 424
05-10-2009, 08:50 PM
First of all I would like to thank Bluehunter and especially Desert Cat for patiently responding to my numerous P.M.'s asking for advise on fishing the Blythe area. Desert Cat it was way cool of you to help me out the way you did!THANK YOU!

Now to the report. Left Beaumont at about 1:30 for Blythe with the girlfriend. This was her first catfishing trip and she was a bit nervous about what to expect. Her father had spent the night before telling her that if she survived the heat she was bound to be bitten by rattlesnakes or scorpions:Rolls Eyes:! Like the trooper she is, she didn't back out!

Started the trip off at B&B tackle to fill up on bait and to get any other tips that I may be able to gleen off of someone. Folks I tell you what, the people at B&B were just great! Very friendly and helpful!

Started hitting the spots that D.C. recommended with disappointing results. The fish were there and biting, I was just farming them like crazy :Angry:. As the sun set I decided to try my luck for my first flathead. Hit a spot outside of Ripley and threw out a live goldfish. After about 10 minutes my reel started screaming! I got a bit too excited and set the hook. Swing and a miss. Spent a couple of hours there with no more bites. Being from South Carolina where noodling is legal, I was beginning to think the only way I would get a cat was to start grabbing them!!!

I didn't want to drag the skunk back to Beaumont so I decided to go to one last recommened spot for some channels. Set out some shrimp and liver and within about three minutes my girl was fighting her first catfish. The bite was on at that point and we ended up with 5 channels in the 1-3 pound range. Kept the gut hooked ones and set the others free. It was a great night and the girlfriend had a blast. I believe Blythe just may end up my home away from home this summer.

Once again to Blue, Desert Cat, and the gentleman at B&B, thanks for all your advice!

Regards,

Sean

chrislxf
05-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I am a beginner myself. I couldn't agree with you more, ppl from this board is very friendly and helpful. I've learn a lot from them. Keep up the good work, hope you will get those flathead next.

Chris

Bird dog
05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Good job fighting off the skunk.Thanks for reporting & giving props where do.

gavin310
05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Sorry about the hit and miss man. I still haven't caught a flathead, but I'm pretty sure I had one on and I missed the hook set too. I caught a bunch of nice sized channels (mine were in the 3-5 lb. range though :Cool:)

Nightstalker 424
05-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Sorry about the hit and miss man. I still haven't caught a flathead, but I'm pretty sure I had one on and I missed the hook set too. I caught a bunch of nice sized channels (mine were in the 3-5 lb. range though :Cool:)

Gavin, I don't know if I was to quick on the hookset or if I was hooking the goldfish wrong (hooked it through the nostrils like a sardine). Whatever the reason the goldfish came back very dead and very battered.

bluehunter
05-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Sometimes a lot of the missed bites be turtles as they frequent the canals. A flathead will suck that devil up. Good going on the channels though.

Hook the goldies and all your baitfish thru the back side by the tail. They will live longer and will be more active.

chrislxf
05-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Sometimes a lot of the missed bites be turtles as they frequent the canals. A flathead will suck that devil up. Good going on the channels though.

Hook the goldies and all your baitfish thru the back side by the tail. They will live longer and will be more active.

Now you have to show me how it's properly done on Sat., Brian.
I am catching a bunch of bluegill and save them for saturday.

Nightstalker 424
05-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the tip Blue!