PDA

View Full Version : SB East Beach 5/10/09 - Lost Big Boys

Brewfish
05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Since today is both Mother's Day and our anniversary, what's a guy to do? That's right - hit the surf at dawn before the family wakes up!

I haven't been out for about a month due to various factors. The good news is that the water has a lot more life in it - perch bites on the swimbait, a decent amount of bait in the water. The bad news: I didn't land a single fish.

But - it was still an exciting trip.

After about 90 minutes of fishing, with the fat lady warming up her vocal cords, my swimbait got snagged on something about 20 feet out. I pulled on the snag and it started pulling line, strong but kinda slow, with no head shakes. Definitely a heavy fish. Had it on for about 10 seconds and then the hook pulls. Kinda bummed because at the time I was thinking that it could have been a hali. I'll never know.

About 15 minutes later, and about 100 feet down the beach, the same thing happens. Another snag starts pulling line! Lots and lots of line. To the point where I can see the knot that connects the new line to the (really) old line at the base of the school. At this point I'm worried that the fish is going to snag on one of the "No boats" buoys 50 yards off the beach. Then the fish turns around and starts coming back to shore. I get almost all my line back and then the fish starts running out to sea again and after a minute I see the backing knot again. Then the fish comes back in part way and starts swimming parallel to the beach. Two big clumps of kelp are hanging off my line. Then the fish starts swimming hard out to sea again and "bink", the 10 lb line breaks. Oh well! I was happy for two reasons: 1- Based on the second fish, which was clearly a shark or ray, I'm pretty sure the first fish wasn't a big hali, and 2- I got to pull on a big fish! I just hope the fish can spit that swimbait before long.

Any theories on what these fish may have been? Big Leos?

The surf is coming alive. Hope to see you out there.

BF

victor101
05-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Too bad about the lost big boys. I know EXACTLY how that feels. Better luck next time!

Wingnut
05-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I would like to think that BOTH of the lost fish were BIG Flatties! :Wink:
Happy anniversary and thanks for the report. :Cool:

FishBalls
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Get em next time - the Fight is always fun.

Fishmaster B
05-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I was out there the past two days myself. Mostly in the afternoon and evening. Lots of big perch, but no halis for me either. I did manage a couple of big leos. Sounds like thats what you had. They will swim straight out and then back and forth. good fighters. Actually had friends using heavy line and fishing squid ovr there yesterday and they were catching them and rays like crazy. Activity is peaking and the birds are around so hopefully soon.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
05-15-2009, 07:15 AM
It could have been a giant flattie or leo . From my experiances, sounds like a bat ray . They will go on a long run ,then come right back toward you ,so fast ,you cant even reel fast enough ,or they head side ways,were you have to run them down. The ones ive fought over 50lbs, do it almost every time, at least three ,or four times during the fight.sounds like it was a blast. Makes me want to head out this weekend. Peace out, and good luck next time.....mike the pmb....

flyngby
05-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the report!

I was in SB for 5 days and nights but unfortunately there was no fishing lines to be wet only the flaming fire lines that we were working!

Steve

Brewfish
05-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Flyngby - Sorry for my late response, but I want to send a million thanks to you and all the other emergency responders who (once again) saved our butts from those fires. And I don't mean hali butts! Hopefully Poseiden will spin some good karma your way in the form of something large, flat, brown and white!

BF