PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon 5/9/09

EdSakabu
05-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Both of my fishing buddies canceled on me so I got a late start. On the water in my float tube at 8:00 AM. Got my first of 9 largemouth by 8:30 (and it was the biggest at about three pounds) on a night crawler. Made my way around tree point and got another on a 4 inch ox blood. Off the water by about 2:30.

Total for the day 9 largemouth between one and three pounds and on trout under one pound.

They weren't as aggressive as they were last week and the hits were very soft (maybe the full moon?). They also wouldn't have anything to do with larger plastics. Only got hits plastic under six inches (it was like I had to finesse fish these bass).

--Ed

Hitts0n
05-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Isnt it lmb seaon !:ROFL:
They are east to catch now days ! Congrats to you man ! Thats why I love Fnn.When my friends flake,I just get on here and meet up with folks.Most of the time folks I know are already on the lake:mad:

swimbait101
05-10-2009, 06:17 PM
where were you fishing

EdSakabu
05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey swimbait, I was fishing from Paradise cove (on the west side across from the ramp) all the way to the swim beach (north of Paradise cove). Got 4 in Paradise, one near the tree, one in Catamaran beach and 3 more in the swim beach (not in that order). The Trout I got at the point between catamaran beach and swim beach. All were caught between 6 and 15 feet deep (most of the guys fishing were fishing way too deep).

--Ed

Addicted 2Fishin
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey, when is the season over? When will they stop biting? I gotta hurry up and get out there before the fishin is off! :EyePop:

EdSakabu
05-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Right now they seem to still be in pre-spawn but with the warm weather they should be in a full spawn soon. The water temp is 65-66 degrees (and in the lower lake they usually spawn at about 68). After that there will be a post spawn bite then things will slow down during the summer and pick up again in the fall.

The Lagoon is weird because as they add water from the upper lake the water temp actually drops which extends the delay of the spawn. Take a thermometer with you when you fish, it will help you to determine what depth to fish at this time of year.

Good luck,
--Ed

Captain Castaic
05-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Right now they seem to still be in pre-spawn but with the warm weather they should be in a full spawn soon. The water temp is 65-66 degrees (and in the lower lake they usually spawn at about 68). After that there will be a post spawn bite then things will slow down during the summer and pick up again in the fall.

The Lagoon is weird because as they add water from the upper lake the water temp actually drops which extends the delay of the spawn. Take a thermometer with you when you fish, it will help you to determine what depth to fish at this time of year.

Good luck,
--Ed

I had temps as high as 72 on Monday the 11.Never dropped below 70.

EdSakabu
05-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Were they still putting in water from the upper lake? If that has stopped it will heat up fast. I was also measuring the temp at about three feet deep.

--Ed

vagabond
05-13-2009, 08:58 PM
hey Ed,sometimes its better to roll by yourself,you catch all the fish...:LOL: wtg on the 9bass day

Captain Castaic
05-14-2009, 08:32 AM
They havebt let water in in weeks.....I heard they were gonna release some tho to fill goon back up from natural evaporation. Water clarity is still pea soup....but improving.

C.C.