PDA

View Full Version : 5-9 on the Chubasco (SD)

KaliDawgFan
05-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Saturday began with me leaving home at 3:30 am to head on down to San Diego to meet up with Sansou, Dean Hall and his buddy Joe for a day of fishing the Coronado Islands for some cuda, and if we're lucky maybe some yellowtail. The boat was to leave at 5:30 am. That's why I left home so early, and it's a good thing I did. I accidently, unknowingly hopped onto the 805 S when I should've stayed on the 5 S. It was only about a 10 minute detour though. Sansou and I pulled into the parking lot at the same time with about 10 minutes to spare. There were only 9 of us fishing that day so there would be plenty of room. The ride out to the islands was a little rough but nothing terrible. It was overcast and chilly when we arrived, and there were already quite a lot of boats around. Still, there was plenty of room to fish. We were primarily hunting cudas so that's what the captain (Ernie) searched for. We came across a large school, and the deck hand (Chad) threw out some bait. Immediately a boil started. I threw a large Kroc out and immediately hooked up. It was either a small cuda or something else. It ended up being a good-sized mackeral. Another toss produced the same...and another and another. There were no cudas at this spot so we moved. At the next spot I decided to see if anything would hit from the bottom. I tossed a couple of dines on the hooks and dropped. I got bit immediately and landed my first ever sculpin, good size too. After a lull we moved again. The conditions weren't very good. It was overcast and chilly the hole day, and the choppiness varied. Captain Ernie did his best to find the fish, but most of the spots produced little to nothing. We tried everything everywhere. Towards the last couple hours of the day we gave up on barracuda and went deep for rockfish. The first spot we hit up produced quite a few whitefish. Only, I wasn't able to get one. After that bite died we moved even deeper. First drop here landed me two smaller rockfish...one keeper and one throwback. I thought they were starries, but was told they were actually called honeycomb rockfish. Either way it was a new species for me. Second dropped produced another double for me. This time there was a starry (keeper) and honeycomb (tossback). Third drop I got a good it and reeled in a heavier fish. I hoped it was a big red, but it was another good sculpin. After that the bite sort of died for me. I only got two more small honeycombs. Finally around 4 pm we called it a day. Final count for me was 5 mackeral (which I should've kept for catfish bait but didn't), 2 keeper sculpin, 1 keeper starry and 4 honeycombs (1 keeper). Like I said before, the conditions were awful. I will in no way blame the boat for the slow day. The crew (Chad and Randy) were very good as well. When the weather is more consistant I'm definately going to want to go back out on the Chubasco.

The two sculpins I caught.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/GEDC0175.jpg

This picture was taken as we were heading back in. As you can see the conditions weren't very good for what we were going for. We did see one boat pull in a yellowtail though.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/GEDC0177.jpg

When we were entering the harbor we all got a little show. Some couple in bright orange shirts were doing the deed right there on the jetty. They seemed oblivious to our heckling.

JapanRon
05-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi KaliDawgFan,

So where is the picture of the two on the jetty ? Oh ya ..... great report and sorry to hear of your low catch numbers but more of you not getting the targeted fish ..... somehow I feel your pain ! ha ha

No whack on the Chub ..... but the San Diego is the boat that seems to have consistantly dialed in on the gars.

JapanRon

sansou
05-10-2009, 10:16 AM
It is always a pleasure to fish with you. I'm still a little bummed about the trip in the sense that up until a couple days ago the cuda bite was going strong....then all of a sudden: nada.

Like you said, we tried everything and anything. Not much to be had, for either us or the rest of the fleet that day.... Wind was going one way, swell the other way.

In any event, it was a fun day fishing (though frustrating). You'll just have to come down when the weather is a little more stable, and we'll make another go at it.

I did enjoy fishing the Chubasco II, and Ernie Prieto and his crew do a great job and are friendly people. Lots of room on the boat, and with the new duel diesels he can run it a little faster without dumping more $. Their breakfast burrito was awesome ("The Chubby") and they make a mean double cheeseburger! It was a pleasure shooting the breeze with Capt Ernie, Dean, Joe and Ryan up in the wheelhouse.

At $80 (mex permit included) this would be a great boat for a 3/4 day Team57 Charter. http://www.chubasco2.com/

sansou
05-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi KaliDawgFan,

So where is the picture of the two on the jetty ? Oh ya ..... great report and sorry to hear of your low catch numbers but more of you not getting the targeted fish ..... somehow I feel your pain ! ha ha

No whack on the Chub ..... but the San Diego is the boat that seems to have consistantly dialed in on the gars.

JapanRon

San Diego3/4 Day 491 Calico Bass, 2 Lingcod, 2 Barracuda, 1 Yellowtail, 41 Rockfish

They had a tough day too (49 passengers!). No doubt, the San Diego is a good boat too.

You don't hear much about the Chubasco II lately because he's been making major modifications to the boat. You should see the new livewell system....it's got drains that constantly spray cold seawater on the gunny sacks. I thought that was really smart.

greg
05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
That watering system on the gunny sacks is a great idea. I don't know why others haven't figured that one out. I just forces the customers to wear boots (unless they want wet feet or did he figure out this problem, too).

If someone would put together a Team 57 Charter, I'm there...

Mr Bendo
05-10-2009, 01:38 PM
At least you caught something Ryan! It's only matter of time now!!!!

I'm in for a team 57 charter!!!!!!!

deanhall32
05-10-2009, 01:41 PM
There is still the thrill of going to the Coronado Islands because you never know what you are gonna get into. One day its tough and the next day a boat gets 30 yellowtail.

We saw the Mission Belle, Malihini, and the San Diego all out there and they were loaded with 40-50 anglers. Our boat had 9 anglers so the day wasn't too tough to handle. The only problem was my ribs were a little sore this morning from laughing so much on the 2 hour ride home up in the wheelhouse.

Finally, as we entered the harbor to Mission Bay we came within 50 yards of a couple getting after it on top of the jetty rocks. Sailboats and small fishing boats were just cruising right by this couple who really didn't care that they were being watched. The 3 old guys on our boat really got a kick out of it.

I had a blast again fishing with Ryan, Rich, Joe, and Captain Ernie who was a star high school football at Damian High School in the Inland Empire if anybody cares....

KaliDawgFan
05-10-2009, 01:53 PM
That watering system on the gunny sacks is a great idea. I don't know why others haven't figured that one out. I just forces the customers to wear boots (unless they want wet feet or did he figure out this problem, too).

Actually you don't need the boots. The water drains into these "tubs" of sorts which can easily be drained if the water level gets too high.

boxl0bster
05-10-2009, 04:55 PM
good job out there guys. too bad the conditions didnt allow for better fishing.

sansou
05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
LOL !

I forgot about the couple hidden between boulders in the breakwall having a "go" at it in plain view. We cheered them on and the guy just waived back....not so sure the blond he was on top was enthused. They had bright orange lifeguard vests....did they really think people couldn't see them from the water? Ha ha ha!

Troutman65
05-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice report Ryan. :Cool: you all could get together for a S.D. Fishing trip. One of these days soon I am going to hit the salt with you guys.:Envious::Wink:

Jig-Guy
05-10-2009, 08:19 PM
:LOL: Great report, fishing and the local entertainment:Big Grin:.

Jig-Guy

olfishergal
05-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Nice report Dawg............maybe you should have joined my riend and I on the overnighter out of 22nd street landing.........Freedom......We fished San Clemente.........the cudas were of the hook, bonies galore, cudas also (1) YT for the boat. I caught a cuda and limits of rocks and whites.....light load on board. had a blast, but I will do report later. Glad you guys had a good time.....maybe you guys luck will change when u remember to invite ladies, especially on Mom's day lol.......:ROFL:OFG

russ88
05-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the report! Great captain n crew!!! Caught my first yellow on that boat.

SeaSick17
05-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Ya where are the pics of the 2 getting it on lol

murrieta angler
05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the report. I took my 2 boys and step dad out there also on Saturday. Mannn was it chilly!!!
We were also looking for cuda but to no avail. We did manage to pull in some sculpin and 1 nice whitefish in the 3 hours out there though.

Take it easy

LA Smoker
05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
When we were entering the harbor we all got a little show. Some couple in bright orange shirts were doing the deed right there on the jetty. They seemed oblivious to our heckling.

Let's see the pics

LA Smoker
05-11-2009, 11:21 AM

JapanRon

Agreed... best 3/4 imo

deanhall32
05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
I would suggest to you guys up in LA to try the Chubasco 2. He ( Ernie ) is running his boat independently and not out of Seaforth, therefore the loads on his boat will be lighter until word gets out. He did the 3/4 daily run out of Islandia for years and still does- just not out of their landing.

Tr1p0d
05-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Great Boat and crew. Where are they running out of now and how do I get a hold of them? I called Islandia and I guess they are out of business...

sansou
05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Great Boat and crew. Where are they running out of now and how do I get a hold of them? I called Islandia and I guess they are out of business...

http://www.chubasco2.com/index.php

Tell Ernie you're from Fishingnetwork!

Tr1p0d
05-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks bud... I will do that...

troutdog
05-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Cool report Kali...you ready for some yellowtail or tuna action this summer?

TD

Tr1p0d
05-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the report... Sorry about the semi thread jack....

KaliDawgFan
05-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Cool report Kali...you ready for some yellowtail or tuna action this summer?

TD

Heck ya I'm ready!

olfishergal
05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey Dawg......join us for ther Liberty sat night......OFG

KaliDawgFan
05-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey Dawg......join us for ther Liberty sat night......OFG

I probably won't be up to it. I'm having all 4 wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow.

olfishergal
05-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I probably won't be up to it. I'm having all 4 wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow.

much better way to forget the pain than fish on the water.........bring your drugs and lets fish. (ouch, been there done that)