PDA

View Full Version : Help with Fishing around St. Catharines, Ontario

sharrko
05-10-2009, 08:07 AM
I will be visiting my brother in St. Catharines, Ontario.
Can anyone suggest a place to fish?
I would greatly appreciate it.
I like fishing for stripers and bass. But i am not sure they have 'em there.
I am open for any suggestions.
I gave up a trip to good ole oklahoma where i know the lake and the spots for this trip to canada. Borther said he would be pissed if i didn't go see him.
So now i have to find fishing spots in there.
I will be there betwen may25 and june 1 2009

Hog Caller
05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Smallmouth bass should be offf the charts there at the end of May. Weused to use small Rapalas or spoons, but you can't go wrong with curly tail grub or tube either.

have fun,

H/C

sharrko
05-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the input. I am so excited. Small mouth bass is great. For some reason i just don't care for anything other then small mouth, large mouth, and stripers.
If anyone can suggest a lake or spot i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
Good news.......my fishing rods have arrived already by mail. I was afraid they would never make it.
For those of you who may be interested....it's cheaper to ship em then to fly with them. Most airlines now charge for all check in luggage progressively.
I E 1st bag $20, 2nd bad $50, 3rd and on $100 etc.
Times must be hard for the airlines.

fishinButch
05-20-2009, 03:48 AM
A great site full of information is Hawk Talk. You will be about 5 hours or so from where I am. The zone is 16, unless you are on Lake Ontario. It is zone 20. Bass will not be open until the fourth Saturday in June. Here is a link to the zones. http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/Publication/STEL02_163615.htm If I can give you any other info please do not hesitate to pm. The fishing here is off the hook and the scenery is amazing. Have a great trip!!!

sharrko
05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
well, i am going open minded. I don't realy care what i catch. I only C&R. So as far as season i don't care because it's all going back in the water.
But since i only fish for bass ( striped or small mnouth or large mouth) i am not sure if my tackle will work.
Got spoons, spinners, topwaters, jugs, plastic. Hopefully one of them would work.

fishinButch
05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Just to let you know legally you cannot catch bass at all out of season even c&r. The regs are very very clear about that.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
05-20-2009, 11:48 PM
:EyePop:so now it makes sense or no im still lost oh well...:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistl e::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

DarkShadow
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Just to let you know legally you cannot catch bass at all out of season even c&r. The regs are very very clear about that.

So, in essence, you can't 'target' or 'fish for' bass out of the season?

What if you're fishing for crappie and a bass happens to inhale your bait?

sharrko
05-21-2009, 09:29 AM
So, in essence, you can't 'target' or 'fish for' bass out of the season?

What if you're fishing for crappie and a bass happens to inhale your bait?

That's just what i was going to ask. How can i target or not target a specific fish.
What if i wanted to try new lures, that happen to be favorite of that particular fish?
Most of all, i would liek to see how a Judge in court would interpret this law.
Hmmm, i have always said it.....canada is.. different. but when you are a guest i guess you have to honor and respect the local laws.
Just spoke with my brother in canada, and he found a friend with a boat somewhere in Quebec. will see what haopens. I will do a report when i come back
Thanks for all inputs.

lurk 182
05-21-2009, 10:21 AM
i know i'm certainly targeting a certain species when i fish and i rarely catch anything other than the target but this is SoCal. my guess is that an anglers intended target species could be inferred (or is it deduced?) from the gear that he chooses to ply his craft. when the DFG shows up and i've got a stocker trout nose hooked on my swimbait setup, i'm going to have a hard time convincing him i caught the trout on that setup and i'm just having trouble getting him in.