PDA

View Full Version : help to find a rod..

kill_obet
05-09-2009, 01:28 PM
hi guys!!id been thinkin for days now about finding a rod for my 20lbs test line..(mainly using for live baits)should i go for 8ft.or 9 maybe?what power should i get?(i might paired it up with tn14)really looking for some lightest rod i could get away with...thanks in advance guys!!(my choices so far..calstar800xl,phenix 8.5 10-30 or the 15-40..)thanks again guys!

dockboy
05-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Seeker Black Steel or Super Seeker 270 in the 8ft, either series works great. The Super Seekers are incredible blanks, at the price and for the price its still only about $90-$130 bucks more for what is arguably on of the best new saltwater rod lineups in the world, versus the amount you'll find new Black Steels or Calstar Graphiters at.
That is not to bash the Black Steels or Graphiters. The Black Steels do the job great, and are lighter in weight than the SS. So are Graphiters. In fact, I prefer the Graphiters for my local iron setups.
If you are that concerned about weight, the Phenix might be your choice. The Black Steels and Phenix lineups weigh less than the Graphiter or Super Seeker. But, IMO, the weight you get with a SS is worth it. Their construction makes them heavier but that construction also gives them some of the best compression strengths on the market, meaning when you get a good 'tail or WSB or albie hooked up, the rod does more work for you and actually ends up being more powerful than similar rods in the same line class.
Lots of people love the Phenix rods. Haven't tried them out on the saltwater side yet. Personally, I would advise you go down to the nearest tackle shop and test them.
Another blank you might want to look at, if you are staying almost entirely inshore and local, is the Seeker 858 from their blue Inshore series. Deckhand favorite right there, great 15-20 rod.

ghetto dad
05-09-2009, 05:50 PM
The above is EXCELLENT advice...let me just thro in a couple more...800XL XLH or even an L...calstar.....

GD

hakaveli
05-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Go with the 800xl great rod . Great for all around local .

That Dang Guy
05-09-2009, 07:01 PM
For the last two seasons I've used a JAWS Tblade inshore rod IN7103B-W. It's rated for 15-30. I like it. Great power, but still has a light and crisp feeling.

calico killer kevin
05-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Do yourself a favor and get a Phenix Black Diamond 868M.
Enough said...

fishon714
05-09-2009, 11:06 PM
hi guys!!id been thinkin for days now about finding a rod for my 20lbs test line..(mainly using for live baits)should i go for 8ft.or 9 maybe?what power should i get?(i might paired it up with tn14)really looking for some lightest rod i could get away with...thanks in advance guys!!(my choices so far..calstar800xl,phenix 8.5 10-30 or the 15-40..)thanks again guys!

Have you considered the Shimano calcutta or teramar series? They both come in 8 and 9 ft. I believe they have the same blanks, but the calcutta has the much better guides.
They both have lifetime warranties and the calcutta even warranties their guides for lifetime. They cost a little less than the Calstars and Seekers that some of these members are suggesting. The teramar is under $200 and is a great bargain.

dockboy
05-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Have you considered the Shimano calcutta or teramar series? They both come in 8 and 9 ft. I believe they have the same blanks, but the calcutta has the much better guides.
They both have lifetime warranties and the calcutta even warranties their guides for lifetime. They cost a little less than the Calstars and Seekers that some of these members are suggesting. The teramar is under $200 and is a great bargain.

I forgot the Teramars lol. They are great, really light rods too. Well priced, and if you break one, Shimano almost always replaces it no questions asked. I've seen a couple break here and there, and accidentally broke one dude's with an errant jig (I didnt have enough to pay for the whole rods cost, gave him enough money for gas to Shimano in Irvine), but they dont have any more of a failure rate than similar graphite blanks. I like'em, prefer my Seekers and Calstars, but the Teramars have put together a fine track record. I wouldn't be as confident with a Teramar in hand against a big 'tail or schoolie sized yellowfin, but they can kick the *** on any of our inshore species. Same goes for the Calcutta. Like I said, got to the shop and put on'em all till you find what you like. The old Tigers and Sabres have caught billions of fish over the years, but when you really get into our saltwater scene, you'll find better gear so much more enjoyable to fish :Smile:

GeordyBass
05-10-2009, 01:40 AM
the teramar Is an excelent stick,they have really corrosion resistant guides and also have great fexibility and power....Also,If u break it,and your local shop has the exact rod,they most likely will replace for FREE!Also,there is this seeker which I believe is called blue lightning or steel(Blue hypalon grip)....It is one of the lightest salt rod I've held,lighter than my 700m....and has the perfect tip for using live bait!Also,lifetime warranty too,,,Good luck with ur search!

DavidE
05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I have 2 teramars I fish 20# on both. One for tossing chovies paired with a Saltist 20. The other I throw 2 oz jigs. This one is paired with a Curado 300. Love both set ups and have caught lots of fish with both. No worries!!

ghetto dad
05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
i have 2 teramars i fish 20# on both. One for tossing chovies paired with a saltist 20. The other i throw 2 oz jigs. This one is paired with a curado 300. Love both set ups and have caught lots of fish with both. No worries!!

baller>>>>>

gd

hakaveli
05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
baller>>>>>

gd

yeap baller gear

DavidE
05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Just fishin gear