PDA

View Full Version : Bananas and fishing

Re8elmonk0341
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
I've heard that a banana is a fishermans' worst nightmare when it comes to fishing. What's the history behind that or even the myth.

sansou
04-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Here we go again.....

Fisherman57
04-16-2007, 04:09 PM
WHAT?........ Banana's are bad luck?

No wonder I'm not catching anything on the new lure I bought.

one_leg
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Bananas are great when fishing especially on a boat.
Just throw the peels on the deck. Good for a whole lotta laughs.

Halibut Dude
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
WTf ewwwwww bannas bannas=no fish

one_leg
04-17-2007, 12:42 AM
OK, this was all over the old board about two months ago.
I couldn't find the post because I was unable to use the search feature.

So I Googled it and there it was. Imagine that!

I tend to believe the second one sounds the most logical.

http://www.azinet.com/captjim/bananas.htm

IslandBoi
04-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Here we go again.....

aint that the truth !!!!

SanDimasLMB
04-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Eat all the bananas you want,.............................. when im not on the same boat as you :lol:

POSTAL
04-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I took my banana fishing and he tried to kill himself afterwards..

hbstriker
04-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Went billfish fishing in hawaii, the first thing the capt asked, when we got on the boat, was if any of us had bananas, thought he was joking, but that face was nothing but serious. And of course one of us did. First time I ever head of that superstition.

fish4keep
04-18-2007, 07:08 AM
It's a superstition, that's all it is. Believe or not it's up to you. I was on a 3 day trip down in SD, walked into the galley and what do you know. A basket load of fruits including bananas. I was like WTF. Anyways, got to the fishing grounds and it was WFO on BFT and Albie. Limited out on the first day. Spent the next day looking for bigger models. One of the best trip, and it included with bananas on the boat.....

mrjonez
04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
F a banana. shaped like a weiner, consistency of poo, and taste like A55. the fact that they mess up a fishing trip is just another reason to outlaw em'.

Sea Murda
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I dont know why someone would even take a banana on a boat in the first place............superstition or not! ............eat a freakin burger!

mrjonez
04-18-2007, 03:55 PM
preach murda

britheguy
04-18-2007, 08:49 PM
ugh......im not saying anything! :shock:

olfishergal
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Shall I really go there? :banana: :banana: :banana: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

olfishergal
04-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Shall I really go there? :banana: :banana: :banana: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hawkeye5447
04-20-2007, 09:29 AM
At least there is some backround where this all started. Love the hung banana by the way.

Airborn805
04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm not superstitious, but when we went out of SD for a two day trip we weren't catching anything. This guy comes out of the bunks eating a banana. Immediately the deckhands start yelling at the guy to throw it overboard. Twenty minutes later we hit the largest school of yellowtail and we all limited out, so who knows.

I don't know if this is how it started way back in the day, When boats and the crew would dissapear at sea all the search and rescuers would only find bananas floating in the water. Supposeldy that's why is bad luck to bring bananas on board. The funniest thing about this is it's an ongoing joke to put pictures of bananas in my fishing buddies tackle boxes.

JSAUCE818
04-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Love the hung banana by the way.

.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: YOU LOVE HUNG BANANAS? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

IslandBoi
04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Many stories have banana oil rubbing off on ones hands and “spooking" the fish; therefore the fish don't bite. There is always the story of a crew member slipping on the banana peel left on the deck. Some say that bananas give you the runs so you are always in the marine head and can't catch fish because you are busy "draining the pipes". Many other stories are told about bad luck and bananas, however the one that I find most plausible is a historical one.

Back in the days of the transatlantic crossings by wooden sailing ships many hazards would befall the captains, crew and passengers. Disease, pirates, shipwrecks, storms, etc., claimed the lives of a good percentage of the captains, crew and passengers attempting the dangerous voyage. Needless to say, a transatlantic crossing in the 17th and 18th centuries was a very risky endeavor. Often the vessels would stop along the way in tropical islands to gather provisions such as food and water. There the passengers and crew would often purchase wooden crates of bananas from the locals and bring them aboard the ship. These crates would have all manner of critters in them such as bugs, spiders, vermin and snakes.

These critters would make their way into the bilges of the ships, multiply, and then find their way into the captain's quarters. The captains circulated the rumor that bananas were bad luck in an attempt to keep the critters off the ship and out of their cabin. The crew and
passengers were more than eager to follow suit because of the inherent risk of the crossing. So, if the captain announced prior to the voyage that bananas were bad luck and not allowed aboard the vessel, everyone complied. You must remember that these were the days of burning witches and the like, so superstitions were taken very seriously.

Cabodude
04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Airborne is correct. After shipwrecks, the search and rescue only found bananas floating in the water!

BTW, bananas peels also work well to shine your shoes! :P