PDA

View Full Version : Line

SDJHawk
06-18-2007, 11:37 PM
What line test is best to use in the Intake II, South Lake and other lakes in the area? I usually use a 4# test but find others using 2#. I know for bugs 2 is probably best but is it better to run a 4 with 2# leader or is 4# alone ok with spinners, powerbait and worms?
Thanks

fishinmagician
06-19-2007, 08:55 AM
If you use flourocarbon line you can get away with 4. I use 4lb flouro or 3lb maxima. Smaller is always better in clear waters

peterl
06-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Where did you find the 3lb Maxima, I cannot find it anywhere local.

Thanks

Pete

greg
06-19-2007, 12:49 PM
When I fish tube jigs. power worms or lip ripperz, I fish them on a 5-6 foot 2 pound fluorocarbon leaders to my 2 pound test mono from my float tube. When I throw Kastmasters, Thomas Bouyant, Panther Martins, etc I usually use 2 or 4 pound test mono. I have not found fluorocarbon to be better with this type of fishing.

Big Country
06-19-2007, 02:07 PM
4 lb when throwing lures

2 lb when using bait.

Make sure you have a good drag system when using 2 lb, especially if you hook into an Alpers at Intake 2. Keep it loose and let the fish tire itself out. If you try to muscle a fish on 2 lb you are in trouble.

greeper
06-19-2007, 03:53 PM
no need for flourocarbon usually if you use 2lb. I use 2lb izorlineXXX and have never had a break off on a big fish. Definitely have your drag set correctly! I use 2lb only, nothing more unless I'm trolling. I've been next to a buddy who was using 4lb flouro at Lil Virginia and I had 2lb XXX, I caught 3-1 over him so I'm not a big believer in flouro.

I've used 2lb in P-line, cajun, trilene, maxima and cuda and IMHO there is no comparison to IzorXXX. All these other lines either broke off, had bad memory or other issues.

DreStyle
06-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I've used 2lb in P-line, cajun, trilene, maxima and cuda and IMHO there is no comparison to IzorXXX. All these other lines either broke off, had bad memory or other issues.

I use XXX also and totally agree. I've heard Izorline Platinum is even better but have yet to try it.

one_leg
06-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I switched from the Trilene to IzorlineXXX and am real glad I did.

One_Leg

greeper
06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
[/quote]

I use XXX also and totally agree. I've heard Izorline Platinum is even better but have yet to try it.[/quote]

I think the platinum is the cheaper version, but not sure on that.. Tough for me to switch from the XXX since it works so well. :!:

ck
06-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I use XXX also and totally agree. I've heard Izorline Platinum is even better but have yet to try it.[/quote]

I think the platinum is the cheaper version, but not sure on that.. Tough for me to switch from the XXX since it works so well. :!:[/quote]

Greeper, do you use clear or smoke in XXX...and where's a good place to get it?

olfishergal
06-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Where did you find the 3lb Maxima, I cannot find it anywhere local.

Thanks

Pete

Wallyworld

greeper
06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
quote]

Greeper, do you use clear or smoke in XXX...and where's a good place to get it?

both and haven't seen a difference, you can pick up the stuff at most tackle stores; Sav On Tackle, Longfin, Johnny's (in Pasadena)

NetBoy
06-20-2007, 10:37 PM
turners has 3lb maxima

IK13
06-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Where do you guys get the XXX?
All I see around me is the Fisrt somethingt and the Platinum...

Dave92706
06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Skip the Platinum. It has too much memory and doesn't cast nearly as good as the XXX. I have to agree that the XXX is a great line. I've used 2lb. Maxima for years and its great line with a predictable amount of stretch but I've used the XXX for several years now in both the 2lb. and 4lb. tests instead of Maxima. The cost savings alone is enormous. For Maxima, 300 yards of 2 lb. test your going to pay at least $8.00 if not $9.00. For 6000 yards of XXX 2lb. it will cost you maybe 18.00 the most. You can put fresh line on your reels without thinking twice about the cost. One less thing you have to worry about if your thinking your line is in questionable
condition. The platinum is some really serious strong line to use in higher pound tests for saltwater fishing especially in kelp and rocky areas. It doesn't have a lot of stretch either. The 10 lb.test fishes like 15 lb.test line of other companies. The LongFin in Orange has Izorline XXX line.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/XXXline.jpg

Dave Finkelstein
Clubfish Chartermember
http://www.clubfish.org

DreStyle
06-21-2007, 10:48 PM
I've seen the XXX at Turners in Chino Hills also. I would assume the others carry it as well, but I would call ahead ...

IK13
07-18-2007, 10:58 AM
I've checked all the places around me that I know (I work in Goleta) and nobody has the XXX stuff. Everywhere I asked, nobody even knew anything about it...
Called Izorline on the phone and they didn't know who in my area has it either, just the shops they do business with...which again - didn't have any knowledge of it. :x

I guess if I want to try it - I should order on-line or drive down to Turners though these drives usually end up costing me considerably more then just the intended spool of line :wink:

getthenet
07-18-2007, 05:09 PM
im down with straight 3lb maxima
for bait anybody use fireline crystal the diameter is nice never tried it though

johnsfishing
07-18-2007, 09:04 PM
has anyone ever heard of pacifica line? your opinions??

Mater
07-22-2007, 08:27 PM
How long do you keep light fishing line in your tackle box? :?