PDA

View Full Version : NPH question

TARHEEL15
05-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Do you need a license to fish the jetties at the Wedge in NPH? I know you don't need one at the piers but was wondering about the rock jetties.
I was going to take my son there this afternoon and was hoping to catch some fish. Anyone have any suggestions as far as setup, bait, and what fish are in that area?

SeaSick17
05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
not sure about the license issue, but from what I know, everyone needs a license to fish. As for bait frozen chovies or sardines, break off muscels from the rocks. I always use lures and do well. Problem with bait fishing is that it always seems to get caught up in the seaweed.
George

ghetto dad
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Anyone 16 years or older needs a license...not sure about your original question though...i KNOW youll get the answer youre looking for from some one on here soon...

good luck!!

GD

Ricky-Ray
05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Section 1.88 of DFG Regs:

Public Pier. A public pier is a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the landmass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.

Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

If you already have you license just bring it anyway. It's not going to hurt and that will eliminate all doubt whether you need a license or not.

Fish Dog
05-07-2009, 09:20 PM
This has been discussed here about 100 times...just do a search and you'll find it.

ghetto dad
05-07-2009, 09:24 PM
This has been discussed here about 100 times...just do a search and you'll find it.

:ROFL:Feisty tonight Fish Dog...lol

GD

TARHEEL15
05-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Well, I went and no one asked to see my license, still not sure if you need one or not. We caught a couple calico's (small) and a 13" halibut on the D/S w/4" big hammers . Not too exciting but really nice down there, might go again this evening.

fish4keep
05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, I went and no one asked to see my license, still not sure if you need one or not. We caught a couple calico's (small) and a 13" halibut on the D/S w/4" big hammers . Not too exciting but really nice down there, might go again this evening.

Like FD mentioned. It's been asked many times.......

But here's your answer. Yes and NO.

Yes = water on one side and land on the other side
No = water on both side

TARHEEL15
05-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks Fish4keep. That clears it up.

Fish Dog
05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Ok, I did the search for you...

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=30940&highlight=license

..This is what you need to know...or, the easy answer, just buy the damn license and don't worry about it.

TARHEEL15
05-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Ok, I did the search for you...

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=30940&highlight=license

..This is what you need to know...or, the easy answer, just buy the damn license and don't worry about it.

I do have a damn license. I wanted to take my 16 year old nephew who doesn't have one.

Fish Dog
05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I do have a damn license. I wanted to take my 16 year old nephew who doesn't have one.

Then buy him one and he'll have to go with you more often, LOL.

TARHEEL15
05-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Well, I don't think I want to spend $45 on a license that is going to be used 1 time. My nephew lives in Oregon and only comes to California once a year.

daveg456
05-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Well, I don't think I want to spend $45 on a license that is going to be used 1 time. My nephew lives in Oregon and only comes to California once a year.

It's called a one or two day license.

Keep it simple. If you're on a public pier like Newport, Balboa, Huntington, Hermosa, etc., you don't need one.

Anywhere else, you need one including docks, sand, jetties, rocks, boat, float tube, surfboard, lake, drainage ditch, river, etc.

Just take him to the pier with a sabiki. Problem solved.

Fish Dog
05-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Cheap solution...

One-day Sport Fishing License
$13.40
Allows a resident or nonresident 16 years of age or older to take fish, mollusks, crustaceans, invertebrates, amphibians or reptiles in inland or ocean waters. Additional stamps or report cards are required for certain species or areas. One-day sport fishing licenses are exempt from the Ocean Enhancement Stamp and Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp requirements.

Two-day Sport Fishing License
$20.75
Allows a resident or nonresident 16 years of age or older to take fish, mollusks, crustaceans, invertebrates, amphibians or reptiles in inland or ocean waters for two consecutive days. Additional stamps and report cards are required for certain species and areas. Two-day sport fishing licenses are exempt from the Ocean Enhancement Stamp and Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp requirements.

TARHEEL15
05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for all the help. Next year I will buy the 1 day pass!