PDA

View Full Version : Lure Question??

lynchr
05-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Will be going to Bridgeport and the upper and lower twins next weekend...my question to all you experts, i've never fished Rapalas, what type, size and color works best in these lakes (or any other lure suggestions). Plan on trolling lead core and maybe casting from shore at Bridgeport in the late afternoons. Thanks for your input!!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-07-2009, 07:27 AM
I'll be going to Bridgeport next weekend (16th-18th) also to troll a bit and also fish the Walker. When I troll I like using the bigger lures (Rapalas, Needlefish, Castaic Soft Baits, and even the AC Plug) since I'm going for the bigger fish. Fav colors are rainbow trout, brown trout, brook trout, chartreuse, and the black/gold, especially the jointed models in the #7 or #9 size. If you can find them, I've had good luck with a #3 size chartreuse Needlefish, so far 7# and 12# browns have been caught with that lure.... both on leadcore and straight mono with no weight. Needlefish colors I have are chartreuse, chrome/rainbow, frog, rainbow, and chrome/pink, all in the #3 size and a few in the #2 size. My #1 and 2 trout trolling lures are Rapalas and Needlefish. Hope this helps and maybe see you at Bridgeport.
TTFM

billy b
05-07-2009, 07:32 AM
but don't know how to pass along any info until I get back Friday night.

Maybe we can exchange stories afterwards

tunafisherman
05-07-2009, 09:47 AM
You may also want to try rapala fat rap and shad rap in black and silver or black and gold. Shhh not to many people troll bass lures for trout. They do work and dive deeper. Good luck.

flytyingreloader
05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I spent Tues-Fri Apr. 28 through May 1 at Twin Lakes, mostly trolling and caught less than a dozen stocker-sized 'bows from 7"-10". A couple were hit on cast gold Kastmasters, but most came on trolled Needlefish--gold and red in smaller sizes. I tried a number of Rapala patterns, Thomas Buoyants, and flasher unit/crawlers--no love whatsoever from fish of any size.

That's not to say there are no large fish in those lakes--au contraire! They showed up wonderfully on the sonar, 20-30 feet deep in several areas of the lakes. They just couldn't be prompted to bite. Surface water temps were 40*-42*, which might account for slowed activity. That's fishing. Most of the time was spent being buffeted by pretty gusty winds, too.

sb fishing
05-07-2009, 04:56 PM
All I can say is TROPHY STICKS!! They only make 3 colors they all work

flytyingreloader
05-08-2009, 12:02 PM
OK, sticker shock aside, are they significantly more productive than Rapalas? I've hit a whole lotta fish over the years on the CDs and jointed patterns--fresh and saltwater.

sb fishing
05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
OK, sticker shock aside, are they significantly more productive than Rapalas? I've hit a whole lotta fish over the years on the CDs and jointed patterns--fresh and saltwater.

3 to 1 easy!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Check my report.
TTFM