PDA

View Full Version : shad at dvl

Rice$man
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Has anyone seen any shad recently at DVL? Are they up near the surface? Can you use a dip net at DVL?

thanks.

jd
05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
not yet; should happen soon, if the falling water level doesn't kill the spawn. Last year was very bad shad netting.

JigStop
05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Use a dip net when you can get a great deal on a cast net at WalMart?

BassinPLS
05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Can you use a cast net in California?

PHISHnutS
05-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Is that what you use down at The Barrel? :ROFL:

ghost2uu
05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
throw nets are illegal in california even at canyon lake trust and believe its a 425 dollar first time offence at canyon two friends of mine have been on the wrong end of that ticket. I did see the walmart in pomona had throw nets and I bitched the sports guy out.

JigStop
05-12-2009, 01:32 PM
I believe they are only illegal in Southern California lakes because of some archaic laws they made in the late 70's when the population was exploding. Just like night boat traffic, illegal down here not up there.

As far as being ticketed, those guys just have to blame it on Wal Mart. If America's biggest retailer is selling it, and they are at every Southern California store. Then they have an inherent obligation to their customers not to sell contraband items.

Having said that, this is a good time to get this stupid law reversed, and yes, I openly use my 6’ net on Henshaw, Elsinore and the Barrel.

JigStop
05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I did see the walmart in pomona had throw nets and I bitched the sports guy out.
Why would you ***** out the guy at WalMart? The decision to put the nets in the stores was made in Arkansas. Back there they realize shad are a replenishable source and don't let them over-run lakes, like we do out here.

JediMindTricks
05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Why would you ***** out the guy at WalMart? The decision to put the nets in the stores was made in Arkansas. Back there they realize shad are a replenishable source and don't let them over-run lakes, like we do out here.

last i heard,
all stores hire a guy (i forget the acual job title) to keep that department stocked. its not really a corporate decision. i know for a fact Sport Chalet does it and Sport Authority. Some are really good, and some just get accounts and fill it with all the basic junk. including nets. Goto a Sport Chalet in your town, then go two towns over and tell me if they have the exact same stuff. they wont most likely........ different guy, different account.

Now that the guy has been bitched out, he'll pass along the message not to bring those nets to that store anymore? who knows......

DarkShadow
05-12-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe they are only illegal in Southern California lakes because of some archaic laws they made in the late 70's when the population was exploding. Just like night boat traffic, illegal down here not up there.

As far as being ticketed, those guys just have to blame it on Wal Mart. If America's biggest retailer is selling it, and they are at every Southern California store. Then they have an inherent obligation to their customers not to sell contraband items.

Having said that, this is a good time to get this stupid law reversed, and yes, I openly use my 6’ net on Henshaw, Elsinore and the Barrel.

1. Are you saying that it is legal to use a cast net in the fresh in Northern California?

2. Are you saying that because Walmart sells it, it must be legal?

3. Are you actually admitting using a cast net illegally? Where's Officer Teapot when you need him...

DarkShadow
05-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, CC is a piece of work. I guess he thinks there would be no harm to the local fisheries if everyone was tossing 6' nets and dragging them around, everyone would release there bycatch like honorable law abiding anglers :Neutral:

And yet he has the audacity to call someone a "knucklehead."

:Rolls Eyes:

I dunno, but admitting you're doing something illegal ("openly" i may add, and not by accident/confusion) on a public message board is more characteristic of a "knucklehead" than someone informing a Walmart employee that the cast nets they sell are illegal to use in California freshwater.

CC just earned himself the "Knucklehead" moniker for his stay here on FNN.

Congratulations, knucklehead.

Z20
05-12-2009, 03:04 PM

Many people in So. Cal buy cast nets and take them to Baja and the Colorado River. Trying to get out of a citation because Wal Mart sells them is like keeping fish in catch & release body of water and saying it must be legal because the store down the street sells stringers.

ghost2uu
05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Im the knucklehead?????? I bitched him out cause someone probably from Arkansas just added the sku to the store and others in california without checking legality. Then a group of retards like yourself go buy them and since walmart sells it it must be ok to use. I let him know that they were illegal and he said he would look into having them pulled. That was a month ago and they are still there. You will get burned at canyon sooner or later alot more people are calling the association police cause they are tired of seeing the throw nets.

Rick James
05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
last i heard,
all stores hire a guy (i forget the acual job title) to keep that department stocked.

That person's called the buyer.

JigStop
05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
last i heard,
all stores hire a guy (i forget the acual job title) to keep that department stocked. its not really a corporate decision.
Now that the guy has been bitched out, he'll pass along the message not to bring those nets to that store anymore? who knows......

So that means about 200 guys all made the same mistake and brought cast nets into their stores? Your post makes no sense what-so-ever. It obviously was a corporate decision. Like I said, now is the time to get this stupid regulation reversed. :Beat Stick:

JigStop
05-13-2009, 11:22 AM
You guys just don't get it. One guy thinks the home owners at the barrell are offended. At what, catching shad? Fellas, Wal Mart made a major mistake bring these in. Wal mart is not Uncle Tom's Bait-N-Tackle. I will continue to use mine. Thats why my plate reads 571BAR and not billybob2.

sansou
05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
You guys just don't get it. One guy thinks the home owners at the barrell are offended. At what, catching shad? Fellas, Wal Mart made a major mistake bring these in. Wal mart is not Uncle Tom's Bait-N-Tackle. I will continue to use mine. Thats why my plate reads 571BAR and not billybob2.

You must not fish that much, or use that Walamart cast net all that much. The minute a local lake ranger (or actual DFG) sees you in posession with that cast net.....the jig is up! While you might not get a ticket for just having it in your boat, you & your boat (not to mention people who associate with you) certainly become a marked target thereafter. Which, once again, leads me to believe your not the fishing rebel you purport, or you just don't fish very often.

"571BAR"? Norco attorney? And if indeed you are, you brag openly on a public message board about brazenly breaking the law?

Either way, best of luck fishing, you sound like you need it.

WormFisher
05-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Well good for you.

We will keep calling Cal-Tip or the park ranger if we see you on the lake with your throw net.

Have a nice day.

Going to have to find that quote from Forest Gump about stupid.

sonarbp
05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Going to have to find that quote from Forest Gump about stupid.

Forrest Gump: "I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Black Panther party."

OOPS wrong quote......I think it might be this one!!!!!

Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does."

JigStop
05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I will only admit that I am not a fireman and have never caught a legal size gamefish in my nets whilest casting it. Other than my one fault, I pretty much follow the law.

Nightstalker 424
05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Many people in So. Cal buy cast nets and take them to Baja and the Colorado River.

Are cast nets legal to use on the river?

lurk 182
05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
if you're in Arizona, yes. walmart does not have a buyer for each store and all the sport chalets sell the same thing around my neck of the woods. i'm not going to blame a retailer for selling profitable wares whether those making use of them are breaking the law or not. eveybody hate head shops too? give it a rest.

Hog Caller
05-14-2009, 08:19 AM
You can buy alcohol legally too, but that doesn't mean you can drink 45 beers and go driving around now does it?
Does this also mean that if you can purchase pipe bomb making material legally, that you can go blow up the lake to get your bait?
Is that the Hardware Store "buyers" fault?
I do believe Forrest Gump is a lot brighter than some people that will try to justify their breaking of the law by any means possible.

jeff4321
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM

Why get raped in jail for using a cast net when you can play it safe and use a dip net?

just a thought.

ive talked to the game warden bout using cast nets and he said its STRICTLY forbidden, he's caught guys w/ over 100 fish in possesion caught via cast net

hughpam
05-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Anyone ever heard the term "Hijacking a thread"?

INDOANGLER2
05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
We were prepared with our dip net, but as of 5/15 we didnt see any shad although the marina operator has had seen some in the coves. The good news is that right now the bite is so good you don't need shad.