PDA

View Full Version : california delta

J. Owen
05-06-2009, 02:03 PM
planning a trip to the delta soon
i have herd due to the size of the delta i should hire a guide?
but then again i wastold this by a guide (figures huh)
and tips or info about this question would be helpful
is it really that big that i should hire a guide or could i navigate it on my own????

TShaffer
05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Are you gonna catch some delta smelt?

tunafisherman
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
What are you going to fish for Largemouth, stripers. shad, catfish or carp. If fishing largemouth and your experience bass fisherman you sould not have any problems catching fish. Remember reeds. Good luck.

J. Owen
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
ya bass is target
just woried about getting lost lol
since this is a large fishery
should i be woried?

plumbertom
05-08-2009, 08:22 AM
If you plan on taking a boat out in the delta area, do not do so without a GPS and a Delta Map. There are over a thousand miles of waterways and many of them look the same as all the others. I spent a week driving a House boat around the delta two years ago and would have never found my way without GPS.
You can get a map of the delta with fishing hot spots from Fish-N-Map Co. at most of the bait shops around the delta. Cost is a couple of bucks.
Don't forget you need a delta stamp on your license. Hard to find In So. CA.

troutdog
05-08-2009, 09:05 AM
You should with a map and a little common sense....if I were targeting striper I would get a guide, but you should be able to find the greenies. The only reason you may want to consider a guide is the fact you won't waste a day or two figuring out the pattern....get a guide the first day and duplicate your efforts the rest of the trip. Just a thought, good luck!

TD

J. Owen
05-10-2009, 03:07 PM
thanks for all that good info!!!
were is the best place to tent camp on the south end of the delta????
i need.........
tent camping
boat launching
food

plumbertom
05-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Try Brandon Island state park.

Wallco1
05-11-2009, 03:11 PM
State park is a good place to stay. If you have never been to the delta your in for a treat. For bass try franks tract. The tides are tricky and be carefull beaching your boat. The bass really relate to the tide. They want moving water tide in or tide out. When you get slack tide eat lunch or do something because most of the fish won't bite. And wait till you see a 6' wake in a canal, YEE HAA

J. Owen
05-15-2009, 02:19 PM
mann good info very helpful
but damn now if i dont catch anything a have noone to blame it on!!LOL:ROFL: