PDA

View Full Version : Wishon/ Cortwright?

joe man
05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
It is almost time for my annual camping trip at Wishon and I was wondering if anyone had some up to date information on the bite. If anyone is headed up to the area drop me a line and let me know when.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Hey Joe
I'll be going up there at the end of June and thru the past 40+ years I've been going there the resevoirs water levels are still rising a little and the best places to fish are near the inlets, and the only way to get to those inlets are by boat. Wishon's Kings River inlet has been the best for me, always producing bigger 1.5-2# rainbows and browns to 7 lbs. At the far side of the dam is another small inlet that produces well with all baits, even lures and fly/bubble. The definate hot bait is live crickets at all the inlets either flylined on 2#test or with a small splitshot on 4#test. Shaver Sports has live crickets, that's where I always stop to get mine. Ever been up past Shaver Lake to Huntington, Edison, or Florence? Have a great time, like I always do every year when I go there!
TTFM

joe man
05-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the information. I have never been up past Shaver for fishing. I had a great time at Wishon last summer with limits ever day. The first two years I went to Wishon I did very poorly but it was later in the summer those years. From your experience what is the best time for fishing on Wishon? I have also never fished Cortwright, how is it?

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey Joe
Past Shaver the first lake you'll come to is Huntington, which I have had many days of limits of rainbows with a brown trout here and there. I used to go there in early May when there's still some snow around and stay at Tamarack Lodge. Early and late trout fishing at many of the lakes could produce a big brown, which happened to my cousin who was with me a few years back who landed a 12 lb brown while trolling at Huntington. Rancheria Creek area has always been good for me.
Other lakes further past Shaver are Edison and Florence, which also have big browns and plenty of nice sized rainbows. Along side the road to Edison there's a small lake named Portal Forebay which is stocked with rainbows. I've also caught browns and brook trout from that small lake, all from shore....great place to use a float tube, as are all the lakes in the area.
Shaver itself is a good lake to fish for nice sized rainbows and kokanee salmon. A boat is a must for the kokanee, but great tablefare.
Courtright fishing is always good near the dam with bobber/worm, kastmasters, and fly/bubble baits. Trolling is just ok, but it's better to get to the streams that feed the resevoir and use the more natural baits like worms, salmon eggs, and live crickets.....or flyfish using nymphs, cricket imitations, grasshoppers, or streamers.
I really don't have a "best time" to fish Wishon as I know enough about the resevoir where to find the fish. But early season through mid July the previous years holdovers and newly stocked fish are hungry and will suck up Powerbait everywhere. I usually get up to Wishon every year before July to stay away from the crowds when it's nice and quiet.
There's also some creeks and rivers between the network of lakes which are also very good to fish. Big Creek which is between Shaver and Huntington has great places to fish. Halfway between the 2 lakes is a trout hatchery where there's plenty of fish either upstream or downstream. On your way to Wishon, Dinky Creek is also good to fish using worms, crickets, or salmon eggs, anong with Roostertails, Panther martins, and small Kastmasters.
Hope this gives you ideas of where to try on your next trip. Over the many years I've been up there I've camped at Wishon, Shaver, and Huntington and have made half or full day trips to the other lakes in the area.....each trip was for at least 5 days and as long as 2 weeks, which is my advise to you if you want to know the area better to fish. I C & R most of the fish I catch but keep a couple here and there for dinner.
Lots of luck and definately get some crickets for bait....they're brown trout candy!
TTFM

bullets_full
05-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm heading up to Wishon for Memorial Weekend....I've always had good luck at the streams and pools at the base of the dam (king's river) i think it's called with natural baits. I'll post a report on my successes when I get back.