PDA

View Full Version : Senator Dutton is on our side.

JigStop
05-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I was in Sacramento yesterday for meetings and had the pleasure to sit with Senator Bob Dutton. He is a real sportsman! His office was well supplied with pictures of pheasants, hunting and fishing magazines. He wants to get DVL filled back up.

Send him a letter and let him know we appreciate his working on this for the Southern California fishermen.
Senator Robert Dutton
District office
8577 Haven Ave. STE 210
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

Big Country
05-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Fill it with what???

MWD hasn't put river water in DVL for almost 2 years because of the Quagga and the SWP is all f'd up to no end because of the delta smelt. There are not a lot of water source options available these days to fill it back up.

The letters should be focused on more of the infrastructure at DVL like extending the ramp which would be chump change in the world of water. That is something that could be addressed and handled right away if the correct buttons are pushed.

ScottS
05-06-2009, 11:00 AM
speaking of the quagga muscle.... I havent seen the colorado river so clear. I say bring on the quagga.

bass413
05-06-2009, 12:06 PM
speaking of the quagga muscle.... I havent seen the colorado river so clear. I say bring on the quagga.

I couldn't agree MORE, let them in!!! I'm getting pretty tired of fishing in pea soup colored water :Angry:. I can't believe some biologist out there can't figure out a way to keep the quaggas from forming on and in the pipes. Maybe a liner that can be removed easily (bringing the built up quaggas with it) or something like that. What do I know, i'm just an idiot fisherman who'll wait for DVL to open back up and then pay a fortune to fish it......

PHISHnutS
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Enjoy your clear water with no fish in it.... :Neutral:

Impact of Introduction: Quaggas are prodigious water filterers, removing substantial amounts of phytoplankton and suspended particulate from the water. As such, their impacts are similar to those of the zebra mussel. By removing the phytoplankton, quaggas in turn decrease the food source for zooplankton, therefore altering the food web. Impacts associated with the filtration of water include increases in water transparency, decreases in mean chlorophyll a concentrations, and accumulation of pseudofeces (Claxton et al. 1998). Water clarity increases light penetration causing a proliferation of aquatic plants that can change species dominance and alter the entire ecosystem. The pseudofeces that is produced from filtering the water accumulates and creates a foul environment. As the waste particles decompose, oxygen is used up, and the pH becomes very acidic and toxic byproducts are produced. In addition, quagga mussels accumulate organic pollutants within their tissues to levels more than 300,000 times greater than concentrations in the environment and these pollutants are found in their pseudofeces, which can be passed up the food chain, therefore increasing wildlife exposure to organic pollutants (Snyder et al. 1997).

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=95

JENSEN500
05-06-2009, 01:34 PM
fill it with what???

Mwd hasn't put river water in dvl for almost 2 years because of the quagga and the swp is all f'd up to no end because of the delta smelt. There are not a lot of water source options available these days to fill it back up.

The letters should be focused on more of the infrastructure at dvl like extending the ramp which would be chump change in the world of water. That is something that could be addressed and handled right away if the correct buttons are pushed.

x's 2

well said

Big Country
05-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Speaking of clearing water up, I heard from a pretty good MWD source that the QM's would completely clean up the Salton Sea in a matter of a couple of years because of their ability to filter the micro-organisms and restore it to it's once proud fishery. Unfortunately though, the damn things are uncontrolable and no one is willing to risk the effects on the infrastructure. Great idea biologicially, bad idea rationally.

As for the treatment of the QM's, the MWD's Copper Basin Res. currently has a chlorination treatment process set up for the outgoing water that has been getting pretty good results thus far in regards to killing the QM's. Let's hope the results continue to improve.

As for the SWP (State Water Project) I mentioned earlier, it is only getting worse as the Fed's are due to release their Salmon biological opinion on June 2nd which will only further reduce the amount of water pumped down south. First the smelt, now the salmon.

Can't receive water from the river & possible further reduction in the SWP is not looking good for our lakes & resi's down south.

CALFISHER4EVR
05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I was told by a worker when you use to be able to launch your boat that they already chlorinate the water. I am assuming that it must be true because there is not much aquatic vegetation throughout the whole lake on the shoreline. It is a new lake and the nutrients from the new reservoir should be growing plant life like crazy. How many lakes do you know that does not have at least a little plant life. It is crystal clear in that lake. So I think the mussel problem is under control and it is a lot of political/bureaucratic........:Wink:

Stormcrow
05-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Enjoy your clear water with no fish in it.... :Neutral:

Impact of Introduction: Quaggas are prodigious water filterers, removing substantial amounts of phytoplankton and suspended particulate from the water. As such, their impacts are similar to those of the zebra mussel. By removing the phytoplankton, quaggas in turn decrease the food source for zooplankton, therefore altering the food web. Impacts associated with the filtration of water include increases in water transparency, decreases in mean chlorophyll a concentrations, and accumulation of pseudofeces (Claxton et al. 1998). Water clarity increases light penetration causing a proliferation of aquatic plants that can change species dominance and alter the entire ecosystem. The pseudofeces that is produced from filtering the water accumulates and creates a foul environment. As the waste particles decompose, oxygen is used up, and the pH becomes very acidic and toxic byproducts are produced. In addition, quagga mussels accumulate organic pollutants within their tissues to levels more than 300,000 times greater than concentrations in the environment and these pollutants are found in their pseudofeces, which can be passed up the food chain, therefore increasing wildlife exposure to organic pollutants (Snyder et al. 1997).

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=95

Very well said!

bblbasser
05-07-2009, 02:53 PM
"Unfortunately though, the damn things are uncontrolable and no one is willing to risk the effects on the infrastructure. Great idea biologicially, bad idea rationally."

Risk the effects on the infrastrucure of the Salton Sea? Don't know where you get your info, but it's fairly common knowledge that to "disinfect" your boat from the mussels you are instructed to use salt water. Quagga's are a freshwater species.

Big Country
05-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Actually, to "disinfect" your boat, it should be bone dry for days.

Try putting your outdrive down in front an inspector and telling him that it was saltwater that came out of your outdrive because that's what you flushed it with to kill the QM's.

He'll tell you thanks for the info as he directs your boat to the 30 day quarantine lot.

bblbasser
05-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm well aware of the inspection process (clean, dry). I was simply making the point that salt water and quagga's don't mix.

flytyingreloader
05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Pacific Ocean = DeQuaggafication Medium, With Bonito & Yellowtail.

Maybe so. The damn things are best avoided, anyway.

GeordyBass
05-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Actually, to "disinfect" your boat, it should be bone dry for days.

Try putting your outdrive down in front an inspector and telling him that it was saltwater that came out of your outdrive because that's what you flushed it with to kill the QM's.

He'll tell you thanks for the info as he directs your boat to the 30 day quarantine lot.
lol,,,tell em u used it in the bay then flushed it,,,:Twisted::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

muskyman
05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Lake michigan is full of the quagmire mussels - giggity giggity oh !!! Sorry I had to. Anyways Lake Michigan being full of these things and god only knows what else, still has water treatment plants that operate. If you go to downtown chicago, look straight out from the sears tower about 1/2 mile offshore and you will see the water treatment plant. It gives water for the people of downtown. So how is it that this thing operates but the ones in Calif cannot ? Is it because we have the Chicago Bears ? Maybe this year something will happen ? Is it because we have the best Pizza anywhere ? Is it because someone in MWD has their head so far up their sphincter that they cannot see the light of day ? I would just love to know what makes those mussels so much different once they get on the west coast. Is it because of the year round growing season, maybe they will get as big as the bass and start eating your precious trout ! Probably the same reason there are no northern pike or walleye or tiger muskie out there. Cause the people who make decisions about the fisheries and water management have no clue to what's going on. They probably participate in book burnings in their spare time.

lurk 182
05-11-2009, 09:58 PM
those little buggers latch onto "the business end" of our reserviors and they're paying divers better than minimum wage to scrape em back off. we'd also end up with 60 feet of visability and mussels that saw you off when your line touches em. i'll just keep it clean and dry for now.

spartafish
05-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Lake michigan is full of the quagmire mussels - giggity giggity oh !!! Sorry I had to. Anyways Lake Michigan being full of these things and god only knows what else, still has water treatment plants that operate. If you go to downtown chicago, look straight out from the sears tower about 1/2 mile offshore and you will see the water treatment plant. It gives water for the people of downtown. So how is it that this thing operates but the ones in Calif cannot ? Is it because we have the Chicago Bears ? Maybe this year something will happen ? Is it because we have the best Pizza anywhere ? Is it because someone in MWD has their head so far up their sphincter that they cannot see the light of day ? I would just love to know what makes those mussels so much different once they get on the west coast. Is it because of the year round growing season, maybe they will get as big as the bass and start eating your precious trout ! Probably the same reason there are no northern pike or walleye or tiger muskie out there. Cause the people who make decisions about the fisheries and water management have no clue to what's going on. They probably participate in book burnings in their spare time.

are you kidding me? you think Illinois (the pizza is great by the way, and the hot dogs) isnt having any problem with these (quaga and zebra) mussels? to put it in perspective, Illinois spent $67 million cleaning zebra muscle off infrastructure in 1997. That was over ten years ago when they first got here. God knows how much is spent now.

And do you really not know why there arent any pike or tiger musky in our lakes? The same reason we dont put snakeheads. biologists of the early years thinking they were doing everyone a favor by introducing "exotic" soecies ruined california's native fisheries. for example, the brown trout has had devastating affects on native trout populations (cut throat and golden). Stripers definitely havent helped the salmon and steelhead. even little old rainbow trout have dilluted the gene pool to the extent native strains rarely exist anymore.

I know it may come as a surprise, but the people who manage Californias fisheries and water do know what is going on. the person in the san fernando valley with a bright green, grassy lawn in the middle of july has no idea whats going on.

so yeah, perhaps they are burning the books that were taught in grade schools back in the pre-2000s. im not attacking you, but i do doubt that you are a biologist. and having worked closely with DFG biologists, im willing to say they know what theyre talking about

WormFisher
05-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I to would like to see DVL filled up, but there is no water to put in it. Quagga mussel or not.

Not sure what the Senator can do about that.

DarkShadow
05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
"Senator Dutton is on our side."

Yeah, let's hope the Senator has some rain dances up his sleeve.

Dunno, but this entire "politician is on YOUR side" makes me think of this movie:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hi9W7dbsNYY/SAFSz0XGoVI/AAAAAAAAAqA/N8M-wvI6K9Q/s320/Distinguished_gentleman.jpg

Seems to me, all politicians are on every citizen's 'side' when it is convenient.

"Let me start with a confession. I don't know much about quagga. But I do know something about people. And let me tell you: I like you people. So when you have something to say about quagga, I listen. Thank you very much."

JigStop
05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=Big Country;340506]Fill it with what???

When the lake does re-fill to old levels, then what will they do with the boat ramp that extends to 400ft. deep?

bblbasser
05-28-2009, 05:51 PM
because word has it, they're closing the lake to ALL fishing in august. Lake needs to get the Quagga so they can fill it up with Colorado River water.

Big Country
06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Crappiecommander,

I'm not sure if it will fill back to normal levels at the rate in which the drought is going.

As much as we all love dvl as a fishing location, the bottom line is that it is storage for the socal water supply. MWD did everything they could to prevent the lake from being opened to the public back when they planned it, but in the end the "people's will" won. They have no plans on making the lake more accessible or easier to use for the public.

When this thread was first started about Sen. Dutton's support for the lake, I thought that it would be better to try to get his support on something like a ramp extension which is doable these days because of the low lake level.

Maybe the water level goes back to full pool (more likely to be 60% though) in a couple of years, but don't ever be misled into thinking that the lake will always remain full. It will be drawn down to its current level and even lower when the water supply is in high demand in the future, so why not extend the ramp as much as possible for the private boaters when the opportunity is presenting itself?