PDA

View Full Version : Short NPH Late Report for Sunday 5/03

KEL40
05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Got to NPH around 9am. Headed straight for the mouth. Threw some plastics(white Zoom Flukes on 1/2 oz. leadheads) around the bait barge no luck. Saw some private boats and rentals out there. I didn't see anyone hook up either. Worked my way back to back bay. Worked the docks and ended up with a couple of these spotties caught on 4 in. pumpkin seed swimming mullets.

ghetto dad
05-04-2009, 09:24 PM
good job man!!

GD

ghetto dad
05-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Got to NPH around 9am. Headed straight for the mouth. Threw some plastics(white Zoom Flukes on 1/2 oz. leadheads) around the bait barge no luck. Saw some private boats and rentals out there. I didn't see anyone hook up either. Worked my way back to back bay. Worked the docks and ended up with a couple of these spotties caught on 4 in. pumpkin seed swimming mullets.

you drop shot at all????

GD

Jaysuuun
05-04-2009, 11:31 PM
you drop shot at all????

GD

GD, I love the DS, but I found out on my B-Day that the DS isn't always the best choice. :Wink:

ghetto dad
05-05-2009, 09:30 AM
GD, I love the DS, but I found out on my B-Day that the DS isn't always the best choice. :Wink:

lol guru,,,,i didnt say it was...i was just asking him.....peace :Smile:

GD

Wingnut
05-05-2009, 06:07 PM
That's one happy looking kid! Nice job on the catch. :Cool:

KEL40
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys for reading and responding. Yeah GhettoDad I heard that dropshot for spotties can be the ticket. No I didn't try this time. Maybe next time. I usually throw LiL Hammers on 3/8 oz leadheads. I also tried a white spinnerbait no love either. Cranks can also work but I have yet to catch one on a crank. Thanks Wingnut my son was super stoked. It was his first spottie!! Got any advice for a novice spottie angler?? locations? Baits?

LunkerLover
05-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys for reading and responding. Yeah GhettoDad I heard that dropshot for spotties can be the ticket. No I didn't try this time. Maybe next time. I usually throw LiL Hammers on 3/8 oz leadheads. I also tried a white spinnerbait no love either. Cranks can also work but I have yet to catch one on a crank. Thanks Wingnut my son was super stoked. It was his first spottie!! Got any advice for a novice spottie angler?? locations? Baits?

yo. I've learned, that since the spotties like to hide in the eel grass and ambush smaller creatures that pass along the grass line ... to increase the distance between my hook and my d/s weight ... since socal harbor eel grass doesn't really get blades over 24" I put a 2-foot leader between my weight/hook .... ALSO, not that I'm a pro or anything, but drop-shotting the following has gotten me my 20+ spotty bass days: 4" swimming mullets (light colors), 6" power grubs in chartreuse, white, or nuclear chicken, 5'' or 6'' baitfish or ANY curltail grub plastic ( I'm partial to Berk Gulp Saltwater) plastics ... I've also got buddies that murder spotties and kelp bass using smaller spinner baits too - lighter colors ...

MAVERICK27
05-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Great advice. I have been consulting a NPH guru who said the same things. He hooked me up with some swimmies, spinners and cranks. I'll keep you all posted as I dial in my methods and baits that work for me. Let's hit the bay Kel!!!

DEADROOTS
05-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Good job. Thanks 4 reporting.

KEL40
05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
No worries Deadroots!!! Anytime anytime:LOL: Lunkerlover gave some excellent tips!! I can't wait to head out to NPH and try out some of these dropshot techniques with you. You know I love dropshotting for Trout and Bass. Why not for spotties?!!:EyePop:Talk to later Mav. Have fun at the Mother's Day Tourney at the Vine'!!

boxl0bster
05-07-2009, 11:20 PM
you should try adding some type of plastic as a trailer to your spinner baits. i won that ronnie kovach (sp?) saltwater fishing kit at the fred hall show this year and i was watching his dvd lol. he put a 5" jerk shad on a spinner bait.

thanks for the report!