PDA

View Full Version : My first NPH trip!!

MAVERICK27
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Well,
Now that we have the new boat, we decided to hit NPH for a nice boat ride and drop some lines in while we were there. I am a total rookie in NPH. John at the local tackle shop by the ferry hooked us up with bait, info and even some kille new 10 lb line!.

We hit the area across from the Coast Guard Station. I threw out some swimmies and some Gulp Nuclear bait. I got bumped pretty goood on both baits, but missed the hookset. It felt awesome though. Anyway, the wife tossed out some cut squid. All of the sudden, her drag went absolutely nuts!! It must have pulled 200ft of line. We could see her line ripping across the water. Too bad she had 6lb line haha!! It was fun until it snapped the line. I hear it was probably a huge Batray. The funny thing is we got a few more bendos but the fish did not commit?? Why is that? Is it like fresh water where some days they hammer the bait and other days they don't commit, or did I have the wrong hooks or bad hooks??

After it slowed down, we hit the bait barge for some fun. As soon as I cast the rig in with squid, it got slammed!! I fought the fish with 10lb line..pulled a lot of drag and ran towards the jedi opening. I finally got it within 15 feet of the boat...then no more bendo??? I reeled in my bait in tact. The wife got two more that did the same thing...Full bendo fish fights , then the rod just releases??

Can anyone help? We want to go back, but we need to LAND some fish!!

On a lighter note, we loved the trip! We saw dolphins, seals, yachts, nice houses, and felt som ekiller fish!!! Pics to come later....

REEL EZ
05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Make sure you flush your engine and wash your new boat and trailer really well. The salt water can really rust painted trailers.

Santa Fe Eric
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Nice going Mav!

I don't know what to tell you, because I don't know what kinds/size of hooks you were using. I don't know if you were anchored, drifting, or trolling.
I do know that you had a great time!

See you on the water!

MAVERICK27
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks REEL, I didnt have my hose, so I still need to clean the motor out and trailer. It shoul dbe ok until Saturday when I take the boat back to fresh water though right?

Eric, we were using size 4 Mustad hooks. Pretty much standard baitholder hooks. I was told to use circle hooks next time. We were anchored.

Wingnut
05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Sounds like an eventful first trip to the NPH, careful, you're gonna get hooked... the Vine might not see you again. :Wink:

flyngby
05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Mav,

Sounds like you had fun for your first trip to NPH. The place is mesmerizing with all the sights that are part of the total fishing experience!

You will get better with time and my apologies for not getting back to you on some tips! I will PM some to you.

Seems to me you all got rattled by a few Bat Rays as they do like the squid and some other USF "Unidentified Swimming Fish"

Thanks for the report! look forward to the pics!

Steve

ghetto dad
05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Well,
Now that we have the new boat, we decided to hit NPH for a nice boat ride and drop some lines in while we were there. I am a total rookie in NPH. John at the local tackle shop by the ferry hooked us up with bait, info and even some kille new 10 lb line!.

We hit the area across from the Coast Guard Station. I threw out some swimmies and some Gulp Nuclear bait. I got bumped pretty goood on both baits, but missed the hookset. It felt awesome though. Anyway, the wife tossed out some cut squid. All of the sudden, her drag went absolutely nuts!! It must have pulled 200ft of line. We could see her line ripping across the water. Too bad she had 6lb line haha!! It was fun until it snapped the line. I hear it was probably a huge Batray. The funny thing is we got a few more bendos but the fish did not commit?? Why is that? Is it like fresh water where some days they hammer the bait and other days they don't commit, or did I have the wrong hooks or bad hooks??

After it slowed down, we hit the bait barge for some fun. As soon as I cast the rig in with squid, it got slammed!! I fought the fish with 10lb line..pulled a lot of drag and ran towards the jedi opening. I finally got it within 15 feet of the boat...then no more bendo??? I reeled in my bait in tact. The wife got two more that did the same thing...Full bendo fish fights , then the rod just releases??

Can anyone help? We want to go back, but we need to LAND some fish!!

On a lighter note, we loved the trip! We saw dolphins, seals, yachts, nice houses, and felt som ekiller fish!!! Pics to come later....

hey mav...yeah, if youve read any of my NPH reports, I have the same problem bro...SOLID hookset (well, you think anyways) and hook spitage....these bass arent as dumb as people think...lol...especially the big ones...thats why they are big......

nice report man.....youre talking about JD's tackle shop......cool place

GD

KEL40
05-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Sounds like you had a hella uva time out there!! Too bad we didn't see you guys!! Check your PM for a report of how we did.