PDA

View Full Version : havasu 4-30 to 5-3

JENSEN500
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Went to try the striper fishing in hopes of an increace of activity. We were pretty dissappointed.The striper action is unusually slow for this time of year and with the derby only 2 weeks away,we are slightly worried but have not given up as we have a ton of tricks up our sleeve we have yet to deploy. With weather forcast to be between 98 and 106 for this week,we are optimistic the fishing will take a drastic turn for the good in the next week!

As for this weekend,Kris and I took 3 of the 4 kids this weekend,knowing fishing will be at a minimum.The kids ended up slaying the bluegill at a beach in three dunes while swimming and playing with the dog.With the water temp.ranging from 69.7-73.3 depending on location,we decided to hit up a spot i like at Havasu Springson Fri. We pulled up to find stripers stacked,but unwilling to eat.We fired up the trolling motor and headed into the no wake area around the bird island.I'm throwing my all time favorite crank and Kris is throwing an underspin toward shore.I hook up first with a nice smallie that comes unbuttoned at the boat.Kris then sets the hook on a nice crappie (her first crappie ever) and i get excited to get into a school of them,never happens. We decide to call it a day at around 4 and head in.

Sat.we woke to a beautiful glass lake.We leave the house and are launching out of Cattail by 7:30. We head to our favorite cove only to find someone dropped 1 life vest and a single ski on the beach (pathetic way of claiming a beach). We do not intrude and find a beach close by. Kris and the boys do some fishing...no love.We decide to fish the area near Havasu Springs again for bass and ????? We pull up and start throwing cranks.My 4yr old boy (Andrew) gets his first smallie, i got one smallie and we find a bunch of stripers and drop bait.Catch 4-5 stripers all in the 10-12 range!!!:EyePop:I couldn't believe it!!!!! We decided to head in around 3 and called it a day. Headed home yesterday and will be back down there this Fri. for a week and a half or so (depending on how the fishing is).

Hope to see every one at the derby!!!!

If you are going to be there,pm me and i'll give you me cell#. come by and have some food and beer!!!!!!

(p.s. those were 10-12 INCH fish......sorry)

GOD I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR LOOKING,
THE JENSENS

goodguy
05-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice! I love havasu... Basically grew up on havasu... haven't made a trip in about 5 years as I have no boat because it's semi retired... and it's just not the same without one... I miss that place!

RRTGuy
05-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Looks like you had a great time with the family! I'm hoping the bite will pick up as well. Gonna try some topwater morning action this next week to get a feel for things. I still need to find a good rod for throwing the heavy Lunker Punkers and what not. Hope to have one in time for the derby. I'll see ya next Friday, give me a buzz!!

Thanks for the report!

Big Country
05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Looks like good family time Jeff...good luck in a couple of weeks.

JENSEN500
05-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Looks like good family time Jeff...good luck in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,Len

Wish you could be there bro!

JENSEN500
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Nice! I love havasu... Basically grew up on havasu... haven't made a trip in about 5 years as I have no boat because it's semi retired... and it's just not the same without one... I miss that place!

Here are some pics to remenice a bit

jeff

Big Country
05-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I like the new ride...and the lighthouse in the back looks real familiar!

Yeah, I'm bummed I won't be there. I need to score some of those spring loaded attachments for the fishing line for those quick stripe bites. Someone that was with you guys last year was selling them and I should have bought a couple. Haven't really found them since.

RRTGuy
05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I like the new ride...and the lighthouse in the back looks real familiar!

Yeah, I'm bummed I won't be there. I need to score some of those spring loaded attachments for the fishing line for those quick stripe bites. Someone that was with you guys last year was selling them and I should have bought a couple. Haven't really found them since.

/begin hijack of thread

How well do those work with the stripeys? I have little homemade thing I use for shore fishing thats super sensitive and never misses a bite but it doesn't work so good for open water or drifting. Always wondered about those spring things!

/end hijack

JENSEN500
05-04-2009, 07:27 PM
it is made by Snap'r co.
For some reason his site is not working but here is Brads #
(909) 744-4389
jeff

JENSEN500
05-05-2009, 07:18 AM
/begin hijack of thread

How well do those work with the stripeys? I have little homemade thing I use for shore fishing thats super sensitive and never misses a bite but it doesn't work so good for open water or drifting. Always wondered about those spring things!

/end hijack

I hear they work great! I have some but didn't get them 'til after the derby last year. I will definitly use them this year.The BOOYAA guys,Kevin and Dave, used them last year and caught all of thier fish on them including the 9lbr they got the last day.

goodguy
05-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Here are some pics to remenice a bit

jeff

Thanks for the Pictures! Havasu truly is one of the most beautiful lake around (IMO). Nothing's better, as far as I'm concerned... Man I miss being out camping all alone in a nice secluded camp spot there at the lake just chillin! My wife and I have 1 camp spot that is so awesome, whenever we went we'd stay in a room at the island inn and get up at first sun to get out there and get the spot. Man I miss that place!

RRTGuy
05-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I hear they work great! I have some but didn't get them 'til after the derby last year. I will definitly use them this year.The BOOYAA guys,Kevin and Dave, used them last year and caught all of thier fish on them including the 9lbr they got the last day.

I use something very similar to this (http://www.crazyfisherman.com/fishamatic.html) that I designed myself. Then when I found this I was PISSED that I didn't think to get it out to people to use LOL. Works like a charm and I make em myself so they are SUPER cheap.

Lazy B
05-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Looks like a great time guys. Weather didn't look too bad either. Congratulations on the elusive Havasu crappie. Nice Work. Talk to you next week.

olefrog
05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
we decided to hit up a spot i like at Havasu Springson Fri. We pulled up to find stripers stacked,but unwilling to eat.We fired up the trolling motor and headed into the no wake area around the bird island.I'm throwing my all time favorite crank and Kris is throwing an underspin toward shore.I hook up first with a nice smallie that comes unbuttoned at the boat.Kris then sets the hook on a nice crappie (her first crappie ever) and i get excited to get into a school of them,never happens.

Jensen, Birdisland and the back coves have a lot of Black Crappie at times.
The record Colorado River Waters Black Crappie was taken off the public fishing dock at the Springs,
We dumpen in a ton of Crappie condos all thru this area ,plus other fish habitat.
The slot up to the AZ pumping station produces at times.

Ole frog made some of the Blue Heron nests on Birdisland years ago.

The spot your fishing I have caught a lot of fish in thes area .
Hap Bennett leveled the island in the background (BLM Land ) put on the mobils and sold them.One rents the land from the consessioner 90 % of the Springs is BLM land.

Nice reoprt, do you ever fish question mark cove ? (local name )
It is a constant producer
ta ta ole frog

JENSEN500
05-07-2009, 04:06 PM
im sure i have (been fishing that place for almost 20 yrs) but do not recognize the name "question mark cove" i would be interested i knowing where it is if you are willing to pm me with the location. we are leaving around 2:00 am tomorrow and will keep posting so those coming down know what to expect.

thanks,jeff

SMFlash
05-08-2009, 02:22 PM
My partner and I will be fishing the derby. We have been fishing there for the past three weeks. Striper's are very slow, haven't seen it like this in 6 years.

We got into some very small ones at the buoy line. Using cut bait, we also got several cats. They really seem to biting right now.

We meter lots of fish, just can't get them hooked up.

Good luck to all in the Derby next week.

Mater
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Cool pics. making my first trip in less than a week. Cannot wait. Thanks

olefrog
05-16-2009, 07:58 PM
im sure i have (been fishing that place for almost 20 yrs) but do not recognize the name "question mark cove" i would be interested i knowing where it is if you are willing to pm me with the location. we are leaving around 2:00 am tomorrow and will keep posting so those coming down know what to expect.

thanks,jeff

Jensen sorry for the late comeback when you come out of outer harbor Havasu Springs.
This cove is the one to the port of the shallow water
bouy across the lake. I think it is a local name the snowbirds gave it .
I don't know if you know Noland or Oz they fish this area often. Both have great knowledge of this area of the lake.
Both snowbirds and fish in the winter for 25 or 30 years
ole frog has fished this area for years .
The island ( under water mid lake ) south of Cattail Cove is a good producer at times.
ta ta ole frog