PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood fly test

seal
05-04-2009, 08:36 AM
My fly tying addict/friend from Henderson sent me a new product line to test. Decided to target the trout and stripers at Silverwood over the weekend. The trout decided they really liked the new patterns he was tying! Also had a beast of a crappie on but thanks to his always crimping the barbs lost him at the tube. Tried bigger flies for stripers but they weren't all that active on lures this weekend, although I saw some caught on bait. Caught both freshly stocked fish and holdovers. They went crazy on the Gold and black. I have had some real good look on everything from LMB's, panfish and of course trout on the silver and black in the past but with Sportsmans Wherehouse going of buisness in Henderson he picked up a bunch of different colors, gold, green etc.. This is called Arizona hair I think and it's like a crystal flash but more hairy, use it for dubbing and then pick it out and it flows real nice in the water.

Best fish was a 19 inch 3lbs hookjaw and also 17+ inch holdover with smaller HO's in the mix, too many fish caught to count. They kept hitting the gold even after most of the black tail was gone. Pics of fly's not great but you get the idea.

Sent a new order in for more of the Gold prior to upcoming Sierra trip, he already has some tied up for me. THANKS BRO!!!!

Ifishtoolittle
05-04-2009, 06:39 PM
WOW sounds like a great day! WTG!

Panfish Junior
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I wish I know how to fly fishing. Is it hard? Oh, by the way, did you see anyone catching stripers that day? Thanks for the report! :LOL:

CHUCKY
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
nice fish and thanks for the tips.

Flying
05-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey nice going out there Seal. So those are like bead heads buggers with no hackle?

When you going up north? I'll be on Crowley in 2 weeks:Envious:

seal
05-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey nice going out there Seal. So those are like bead heads buggers with no hackle?

When you going up north? I'll be on Crowley in 2 weeks:Envious:

Same time as you. Will probably be located in Bishop Creek but Crowley is definitely on the list.

Love those freight train hits!