PDA

View Full Version : Open Cattle Boats or private boats?

jrodda
06-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Do you guy think it's better to get your own boat or to go on Open party boats?

sansou
06-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Thats kind of like asking is it better to bang Carmen Electra or the greeter at Wal-Mart.We are only limited by our options my friend

FYI: the author of the thread is really young.

Fish Dog
06-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Ok, this is a question that's like adult diapers...depends...

If you want to go way out chasing tuna you might want a party boat, unless your super rich and can afford a big enough boat, and the fuel to run it, to get out where the tuna are. If you want to go 1/2 day 3/4 day range a smaller boat will suffice. Advantages are less crowded and you can fish for what you want and go where you want and not have to just go along with what the party boat skipper wants to do. Of course you sacrifice some of the electronic capabilities that the party boats have, such as side scan sonar and/or radar but you can get these for a private boat, again, with enough money. If you just want to go home and crash after a fishing trip the party boat route is the way to go, if you want to spend a couple hours cleaning up and putting away then a private boat may be the way to go. When the wind suddenly comes up you sacrifice some comfort, and in extreme cases, safety with a smaller private boat vs. a big party boat. If you ride a party boat you only have to store your rods, reels and tackle box, with a private boat you need either a large enough driveway, a slip or a storage yard to keep it in. That's just a short list of considerations...

Like I said...depends...

Almost forgot...the old saying...the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat... :wink:

fish4keep
06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Ok, this is a question that's like adult diapers...depends...

If you want to go way out chasing tuna you might want a party boat, unless your super rich and can afford a big enough boat, and the fuel to run it, to get out where the tuna are. If you want to go 1/2 day 3/4 day range a smaller boat will suffice. Advantages are less crowded and you can fish for what you want and go where you want and not have to just go along with what the party boat skipper wants to do. Of course you sacrifice some of the electronic capabilities that the party boats have, such as side scan sonar and/or radar but you can get these for a private boat, again, with enough money. If you just want to go home and crash after a fishing trip the party boat route is the way to go, if you want to spend a couple hours cleaning up and putting away then a private boat may be the way to go. When the wind suddenly comes up you sacrifice some comfort, and in extreme cases, safety with a smaller private boat vs. a big party boat. If you ride a party boat you only have to store your rods, reels and tackle box, with a private boat you need either a large enough driveway, a slip or a storage yard to keep it in. That's just a short list of considerations...

Like I said...depends...

Almost forgot...the old saying...the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat... :wink:

Ditto.....................

Double Ditto on the saying............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

victor101
06-19-2007, 02:53 PM
i you got the moneys...private. if your a broke bastard like me...party :lol:

FishingOC
06-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Do you want to ride the bus or have a car??

DA_Beaut
06-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Private Boat all the way!!!

It may cost you a pretty penny each time you go out but make the sacrafice and do it.

Nothing better than waking up at, oh 10am, launching by noon and then having a late lunch on Catalina. Ever since my wife found out how much fun can be had on the island we pretty much go there to hang out and not fish. I dont mind too much since the days she doesnt make it, I get my fishing time.

one_leg
06-19-2007, 11:26 PM
The bigger, the better!

One_Leg

SanDimasLMB
06-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Private boat. No jacka$$ skippers because you're the skipper. No tangles with 20 other people because you only have a maximum of 5 guys/women on the boat. You can eat what you want (provided that you have refrigerator and stove). No ***** captains because you're the captain, and etc. you could go on and on.

But just like Victor said, most of us have to deal with Moo Moos or we have to drop down on our knees and ask for free rides :lol:

kanco
06-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Private, Private, Private boat all the way.

There are some disadvantages the private boater has over a party boat, but the ADVANTAGES out way them all.

Even if it's an aluminum skiff, get out there and fish the wall. You will learn more about the area that you are fishing and will become a better angler because of it.

Avoid the high cost, hassles, and BS associated with party boat. All the BS is what prompted me to get my first boat years ago.

As far as the saying....yeah, boat ownership can get pricey but being able to take your kids out for a day of fun on the water and watching them hook their first fish while spending some 1 on 1 time with them is really makes it all worth it.

If you try to do this on a party boat and your kid happens to get sick, there is no way of turning back and that experience alone might be enough to turn them away from fishing.

just my two Centavos!

fishnbuddy
06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
It doesn't cost a pretty penny. 30 buck from me...30 bucks from you...thats trolling ALL day and a scoop of bait!!

Fish Dog
06-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Almost forgot the other boat saying...

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by ____ (insert material boat is made out of like wood, fiberglass, aluminum) into which you pour money.