PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sea Fishing

trashetanush
05-04-2009, 01:10 AM
I got a few questions about deep sea fishing. My first one is about Sea sick. I went today for the first time and i got sea sick. I Managed to catch 2 fish but, I didn't feel like doing anything at all. Do u guys get used to it, or do u wear some kind of patch or drink a pill and where do u buy it. After todays experience, I told myself to never get on a boat again in the middle of the ocean and stick to fishing at lakes, but Im gonna go sooner or later once again and want to be ready. What tips do u guys have for me.
My second question is, when is the best time to catch the biggest fish and Besides the boats at MDR that take u out, what other harbors are there that can take u to really good spots. MDR took us to a great spot and people around me had alot of fun. I was to worried about throwing up so i didn't have much fun and it seemed like a horrible day for me.

JoeCali
05-04-2009, 01:43 AM
first and foremost do not fight the waves or motion of the boat...you got to roll with the action. what i'm sayin is dont go against the rolling of the boat...you almost have to ride it as you would a surfboard or boogie board...you kno what i mean?:Confused: try that first and if that doesn't work they have motion sickness pills at your local walmart or cvs/savon/riteaid. hope this helps...joecal:Twisted:

crystalmath79
05-04-2009, 05:23 AM
There are OTC meds like Dramamine and Bonine. There are also patches and wristbands for motion sickness. Ginger supplements/candy and real ginger ale are supposed to help as well.

ghetto dad
05-04-2009, 08:51 AM
first and foremost do not fight the waves or motion of the boat...you got to roll with the action. what i'm sayin is dont go against the rolling of the boat...you almost have to ride it as you would a surfboard or boogie board...you kno what i mean?:Confused: try that first and if that doesn't work they have motion sickness pills at your local walmart or cvs/savon/riteaid. hope this helps...joecal:Twisted:

great advice...but IMO, FIRST AND FOREMOST do NOT sit in the galley!! Doing that yesterday in the swell almost wiped out 5 of my people. That food/grease smell will get you EVERY time if youre prone to seasickness, and even if your not......

my buddy used the pills all his life, and for the most part, they worked....i still would get that "feeling" tho on occasion....he went to the DR and had them prescribe the patch....he said that works wonders compared to the pill.....they are kinda expensive tho...like $60 for 3 patches (u use one at a time, so thats for 3 trips)...but thats WAY better than getting seasick,,,,,

GD

hung380
05-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Get prescribed for scopace pills. 30 pills for 30 bucks with insurance. The patch is too expensive and leaves a dot behind your ear for weeks If you get a tan.

Ricky-Ray
05-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I got a few questions about deep sea fishing. My first one is about Sea sick. I went today for the first time and i got sea sick. I Managed to catch 2 fish but, I didn't feel like doing anything at all. Do u guys get used to it, or do u wear some kind of patch or drink a pill and where do u buy it.

There are quite a few way's of handling seasickness. There are some natural remedies, Over The Counter (OTC) medications and also Prescription medications.

First and foremost if you are starting to feel sick on the boat DO NOT go into the galley. Smell has a very big affect on making you seasick even more. Move towards the stern (back) of the boat and try to stay around the middle of it, that is generally the most stable part of the boat and least moving. Take some deep breaths of fresh air. Keeping your eyes on a fixed horizon while taking in some fresh air will help also. Keeping your eyes on a fixed horizon will help the inner ear try to rebalance itself and hopefully stem off getting seasick. This has worked for me on many ocassions. Try to have some saltine crackers or anything ginger with you next time you go. Saltine crackers, ginger ale, ginger snaps, stuff like that will help calm the stomach too so that can help.

Another possibility is OTC medication. Items such as Bonine and Dramamine are the usual two. A good suggestion take one the night before you leave on the trip. Then when you are about to get on board take one more and then one more later in the day if need be. By taking one the night before you leave the medication is already in your body and is working. The medication usually last 8 hours so hence you take another one just before your leave and probably another one around mid day depending on how you fee.

Prescription medications are usually the patch or scopace in the pill form. They are generally medications similar to Dramamine but stronger. Please see your doctor to get a prescription.

My second question is, when is the best time to catch the biggest fish and Besides the boats at MDR that take u out, what other harbors are there that can take u to really good spots. MDR took us to a great spot and people around me had alot of fun. I was to worried about throwing up so i didn't have much fun and it seemed like a horrible day for me.

There are many landings in the depening on where you go to.

In the Ventura/Oxnard area there's Channel Island Sportfishing, Captain Hooks Sportfishing, Sea Landing, Cisco's.

In the LA area there's MDR, Redondo Sportfishing, 22nd St. Landing, LA Harbor, Long Beach Sportfishing, PIerpoint Landing, Long Beach Marina.

In the Orange County Are there's Newport Landing, Davey's Locker, Dana Wharf, Helgren's.

In the San Diego Area there's Seaforth Landing, H&M Landing, Fisherman's Landing, and Point Loma Sportfishing.

There might be a few more landings but that should give you an idea on what's around.

As for when to go for the biggest fish depends on what you are targeting and where you want to go. Whiteseabass should be biting right now, they can get into the 40-50 pound range. Yellotail can be anywhere from 20-50 pounds during the summer. Rockfish up in the Ventura area are generally in the 4-10 pound range.

If you leave out of San Deigo for multi day trips during the summer you have good chances of catching Dorado, Albacore, Bluefin Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, Yellowtail.

Catching any or all of these fish is possible it just depends on where you leave from and for how long and when you leave.

ghetto dad
05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
There are quite a few way's of handling seasickness. There are some natural remedies, Over The Counter (OTC) medications and also Prescription medications.

First and foremost if you are starting to feel sick on the boat DO NOT go into the galley. Smell has a very big affect on making you seasick even more. Move towards the stern (back) of the boat and try to stay around the middle of it, that is generally the most stable part of the boat and least moving. Take some deep breaths of fresh air. Keeping your eyes on a fixed horizon while taking in some fresh air will help also. Keeping your eyes on a fixed horizon will help the inner ear try to rebalance itself and hopefully stem off getting seasick. This has worked for me on many ocassions. Try to have some saltine crackers or anything ginger with you next time you go. Saltine crackers, ginger ale, ginger snaps, stuff like that will help calm the stomach too so that can help.

Another possibility is OTC medication. Items such as Bonine and Dramamine are the usual two. A good suggestion take one the night before you leave on the trip. Then when you are about to get on board take one more and then one more later in the day if need be. By taking one the night before you leave the medication is already in your body and is working. The medication usually last 8 hours so hence you take another one just before your leave and probably another one around mid day depending on how you fee.

Prescription medications are usually the patch or scopace in the pill form. They are generally medications similar to Dramamine but stronger. Please see your doctor to get a prescription.

There are many landings in the depening on where you go to.

In the Ventura/Oxnard area there's Channel Island Sportfishing, Captain Hooks Sportfishing, Sea Landing, Cisco's.

In the LA area there's MDR, Redondo Sportfishing, 22nd St. Landing, LA Harbor, Long Beach Sportfishing, PIerpoint Landing, Long Beach Marina.

In the Orange County Are there's Newport Landing, Davey's Locker, Dana Wharf, Helgren's.

In the San Diego Area there's Seaforth Landing, H&M Landing, Fisherman's Landing, and Point Loma Sportfishing.

There might be a few more landings but that should give you an idea on what's around.

As for when to go for the biggest fish depends on what you are targeting and where you want to go. Whiteseabass should be biting right now, they can get into the 40-50 pound range. Yellotail can be anywhere from 20-50 pounds during the summer. Rockfish up in the Ventura area are generally in the 4-10 pound range.

If you leave out of San Deigo for multi day trips during the summer you have good chances of catching Dorado, Albacore, Bluefin Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, Yellowtail.

Catching any or all of these fish is possible it just depends on where you leave from and for how long and when you leave.

:Shocked: wow...youre a WEALTH of knowledge homie!!!

GD

trashetanush
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Alright, thx for all the Tips. Im gonna go to my doctor to get a prescription on some patches.

I will do a lot of deep sea fishing this summer if i get over the motion sickness.

trlrtrsh67
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I use bonine if I think it might be a little bumpy on the water. A bigger boat always smoothes out the swell too. Looking of to the horizon helps too...that always gets me on my brothers 19 footer...looking down while cutting bait or tying hooks/sinkers, I gotta stop and look around at the horizon for a minute to kick that feeling.

My worst though was after a recent 2 day trip I did, the ride was pretty rough and I was fine with it but for 2 or 3 days after the trip I was all dizzy and felt like crap! At least it didn't ruin my trip!

Ifishtoolittle
05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I can only give you advice on the sea sickness. Before I go on a trip I usually try to get as much sleep as I can and to eat a solid breakfast the next day. Make sure to have one of those sea sickness patches on you for those offshore trips. Another thing that you could do is to take sea sickness medicine. Thew last tip I have for you and it has worked for me in the past. It is to eat spicy food. Hope this helps.

Mojave River Angler
05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
When I went out for the first time on the ocean I really wasn't worried about getting sick, but friends said don't take a chance on your first outing getting messed up with barf. So I saw the Dr. and she gave me scopamine. One patch behind the ear the night before...works for three days if you leave it on. Of course I tore it off as soon as I hit land. However, if you get sea legs, it might not be a bad idea to leave it on until you go to bed the night after fishing.

You will have an absolute blast next time. I also stayed away from the galley...I'm too cheap, and didn't really have much of an appatite. A power bar and a bottle of raid does the job for the day.

I wa looking at the recent catches from the Enterprise (Newport Landing?)...nice mix of what I'm interested in right now. I may hit them up soon. Went with them in Dec. and had a great time.

MRA

TShaffer
05-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Not trying to brag here but I have never been seasick...not even once. I'm pretty much one of the luckiest guys alive. But I hear dramamine( I think that's how you spell it) works well.

FISHINGBEE
05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Alright, thx for all the Tips. Im gonna go to my doctor to get a prescription on some patches.

I will do a lot of deep sea fishing this summer if i get over the motion sickness. The pills and patch personally get me sick. I have not gotten sea sick since 1978 ona boat called Jaws. We went out the Gate and hit the potatoe patch 16 ft swells. We went to the Farllon islands huge swells. Almost everyone on the boat besides my Dad got sick. All i can remember is my father eating oreo cookies and laughing with glee. He must of caught every ones limit on rockfish. I tried but i failed was so sick. I know somewhat how it feels. Stay away from engine exhaust, and the galley. Some times if you have a bunk lay down close your eyes. Try to lay down during new spot searches. I think the front of the boat with the wind in your face also helps. Keep your mind on you and the fish try not to look at the waves. I also found some people get sick on small boats some on big ones. GOOD luck do not give up.

FISHINGBEE