PDA

View Full Version : Overnight on the Seahorse out of Dana Point 5/1-2/09

NY4Reels!
05-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Me, Tom, Ernie, and Henry rode the Seahorse out of Dana Point Friday night, fishing San Clemente Island Saturday. The weather was a great improvement from the weekend before though we had a few raindrops in the morning. The ride over was a little bumpy but manageable, and we had a little wind in the early morning. The ride home was flat and made for great nap time!

We started out in pyramid cove for some C-bass, but they were a no show for the day. We moved in and out of the cove inspecting some bird activity para nada. We came back in and to the front of the island for the rest of the day moving north/west??

We hit up several kelp lines and beaches for a nice variety of fish. The sheeps head were hungry today along with the white fish! The bass were slow to go, but we did manage to get the calicos to go off on a few stops.

I ended the day with 8 sheeps head (3 released), 4 white fish, a short Butt off a beach, a barley legal calico (only cause it swallowed the hook and was a bleeder) and a couple of very large perch (released). All fish were caught on cut squid except the Butt.

Good Captain, Deckhands and cook were marginal to fair. Food: Room for improvement

FYI the water on the front side was 62 degrees and clean. It's just a matter of days before the YT’s and C-Bass go off there. So head on out there this week. I’m sure that you won’t be disappointed!

Trip stats for 5/2/09

http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/boatdetail.php?boat_id=255

ghetto dad
05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Great report man!!! PICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

lol

GD

deanhall32
05-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Been eye-ballin that boat the past week.

Are the over-nighters still $120 for the entire season? Also, can you still re-ride for half price?

jplee3
05-04-2009, 12:47 PM
The Sea Horse is a good boat. Good price @ $120 for an overnighter! One of the cheaper ones I've seen. And the captain really does try his best to put you on the fish. I really do think he's in it more for the fishing - any $$$ he makes is just a bonus. I should get back on this boat soon.

JapanRon
05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi NY4Reels,

Great report and sounded like a good amount of catching. Good ol' goats and Whitefish ... always help out in a pinch.

thanks,

JapanRon

deanhall32
05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi NY4Reels,

Great report and sounded like a good amount of catching. Good ol' goats and Whitefish ... always help out in a pinch.

thanks,

JapanRon

You would have liked the Icon JapanRon. It had numbers on the rails.

pokerface12
05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for an updated report at the island.

FISHINGBEE
05-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Been eye-ballin that boat the past week.

Are the over-nighters still $120 for the entire season? Also, can you still re-ride for half price? I have been on this boat several times in the past. Small boat it will rock and roll in the bigger waves. Never had a bad day on this boat. Seems that the boat stays out a little longer than most. As for the food who cares when your hungry. The deckhands none are more professional than the deckhands out of SD. Still a great boat . NICE report i could never fish Clemente without a few pics. Who remembers the days when Bluefin were the main show at Clemente?

FISHINGBEE

TShaffer
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Dude if it's good food you're after hit up the City of Long Beach. Half the time I just go for the food lol. But for real even when the fishing sucks their food helps you forget about it.

Oz
05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
sounds like u had a good trip with homies regardless of the bass not wanting to play. congrats.