PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Outboard 2.5hp help!

sh1bby69
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi there! Well I bought a 2.5hp Mercury Outboard on eBay and for safety reasons it was shipped with no oil. What kind of oil do I use in it and what is the mixture for the gas? I'm a compete noob when it comes to outboard. What other things should I know. Basically I need to know how to keep it and maintain it. I will be using it in DPH mainly pushing a 12' Sevylor Hunting Fianing boat. Thanks!

Kevman
05-04-2009, 12:08 PM
If you can post some more info about the motor (year, model #, serial #, 4-stroke/2-stroke, etc.) we can help you more.

You said the motor "has no oil," what do you mean? Only 4-stroke motors need engine oil.

But you also said "what is the mixture for the gas?" and only 2-stroke motors need oil mixed with the gas.

So either your motor needs oil and uses plain gas, or doesn't use oil and does need oil mixed with the gas.

I'm talking only about small motors in the size range you stated.

Kev

GeordyBass
05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
If you can post some more info about the motor (year, model #, serial #, 4-stroke/2-stroke, etc.) we can help you more.

You said the motor "has no oil," what do you mean? Only 4-stroke motors need engine oil.

But you also said "what is the mixture for the gas?" and only 2-stroke motors need oil mixed with the gas.

So either your motor needs oil and uses plain gas, or doesn't use oil and does need oil mixed with the gas.

I'm talking only about small motors in the size range you stated.

KevRemember,all motors have lower unit oil....

and your motor should use 50:1 mix,,,

sh1bby69
05-05-2009, 09:50 AM
The serial number is OD917061 it's a 1993.

I e-mailed the seller and this is what he sent me:

the oil is easy--you go to walmart and get outboard gear oil --I think they sell it in tubes--you look down by the prop and youll see 2 straight head screws-one on top and the other just below it--you fill it from the bottom till it comes out the top hole--put top plug in and then the bottom--and then--the gas is mixed 32-to 50-to1

I'm not exactly sure what that means.

Nessie Hunter
05-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Gear oil in lower unit....

Two screws (1 top & 1 bottom) in the oil reservoir....
Open both...
Squirt oil in from bottom, when it comes out top hole, it is full..
Close top hole first, to stop it from draining back out....

Mixing the gas should be easy, follow directions on 2 cycle oil container...

3.2 oz to one gal of gas = 40 to 1 mix.... For my weed eater.. :ROFL:

Nessie Hunter
05-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Here is a great forum to look for info at, or ask questions...

http://forums.iboats.com/

Kevman
05-05-2009, 10:34 PM
The serial number is OD917061 it's a 1993.

I e-mailed the seller and this is what he sent me:

I'm not exactly sure what that means.

OK, here goes. Your motor uses two different kinds of oil, 1) lower unit gear oil, and 2) 2-stroke outboard oil.

Nessie gave a good explanation of how you change the lower unit oil. I will add that the screws that he is talking about are on the "leg" of the motor down towards the propeller. You will see two screws with rather large flat heads. One is about 5 inches higher up the leg than the other. You can go to Wal-Mart and buy API GL-5 gear oil in #80-#90 weight. It will come in a blue 32 oz. squirt bottle with a conical tip. You will use only 2-6 oz. of this oil at a time.

While you are at Wally World, also buy a quart of 2-stroke outboard oil. There's some cheap stuff in the blue bottle again. It's good enough quality for you. Make sure the oil you buy has a TCW3 designation. You mix some of this oil with normal 87 octane gas in the gas tank for your outboard. 50:1 is the ratio of ounces of gas to ounces of TCW3 outboard motor oil. For every 50 ounces of gas that you put in the tank, you put 1 ounce of TCW3 oil.

Your motor is a "2-stroke" or "2-cycle." That means you DO NOT put oil directly in the engine block like a car. You DO mix the TCW3 oil with the gas instead.

Here's some useful info from the Tohatsu site. Don't worry, the info is universal for all modern models of 2-stroke motors, including your Mercury.

"For 2-Stroke outboards that require a 50:1 premix of oil/gas we've put together the following chart to simplify the calculations.

Use ONLY 2-stroke outboard motor oil with an NMMA (National Marine Manufacturer's Assoc.) certified rating of TCW3. Never use automobile motor oil in your 2-stroke outboard!"

Go here to see more info, including a chart to help you calculate how to mix up 50:1 gas for your motor.

http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/oil_gas.html

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I've owned about 6 different outboards and always learned to fix them all myself.

If you want to learn how to work on your motor, or at least know where the various parts are, I strongly suggest you buy the Mercury brand shop manual for your motor. Don't buy a shop manual written by another company. It will suck. Since you now know it's a 1993 2.5 HP Mercury, the shop manual will be easy to find online.

Once you have a shop manual, you'll be a lot better equipped to properly care for your motor.

Tight Lines,
Kev

sh1bby69
05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! I greatly appreciate it! I want to start fishing on the boat soon! Kevman I will be shooting some PMs every now and then. Thanks everyone!

sh1bby69
05-12-2009, 08:28 PM
So I added gear oil and the oil in the gas and tested it in the backyard in a trash can full of water and it took a few good pulls before it started. Then I decided to takes it out in DPH on my sevylor and it worked out pretty good! Took a 1 gallon gas tank on the boat and only had to fill up once. Powerful motor for my small/light boat. I need to male sure that I make my motor mount thicker cause it wasn't thick enough. Afterwards I ran the motor in re back yard in fresh water and shut off the fuel valve until it died on itself so I can store it. Is that the correct way to do it?

Kevman
05-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Yep, always run the motor in a trash can of fresh water after you use it in the salt and before storing it. Shut off the fuel valve after 5 minutes or so and let it run until it dies due to running out of gas. Never test run the motor without water. You don't want to store the motor with the carburetor full of gas as it can clog the jet. You did good.

GeordyBass
05-13-2009, 09:32 AM
So I added gear oil and the oil in the gas and tested it in the backyard in a trash can full of water and it took a few good pulls before it started. Then I decided to takes it out in DPH on my sevylor and it worked out pretty good! Took a 1 gallon gas tank on the boat and only had to fill up once. Powerful motor for my small/light boat. I need to male sure that I make my motor mount thicker cause it wasn't thick enough. Afterwards I ran the motor in re back yard in fresh water and shut off the fuel valve until it died on itself so I can store it. Is that the correct way to do it?
Well done bro!
Also,remember,always try to flush or wash the motor as soon as you can,,,

NEVER forget to flush it,,,:Envious:

sh1bby69
05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
thanks everyone!!!