PDA

View Full Version : Another skunk adventure

rusty6
05-02-2009, 06:35 PM
decided that after my last skunk in morro bay, i'd take advantage of the low, low tide today and head up north of cayucos and throw some swimbaits and grubs around in the kelp and rocks. I managed to farm one bite and other than that lose a whole bunch of tackle. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice on fishing heavy structure like this from shore because i know these areas hold A LOT of fish and i'd like to get into em.

bones
05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I love fishing around boilers too. They provide current breaks and structure for baitfish and ambushing fish. My prefered way to fish boilers is with a dropshot rig. Depending on current flow I will use 1/4 to 1/2 oz DS weights. I like the slim profile weights instead of the bell type because they work through the snaggy areas a little easier. It's an effective way to drag the bottom all around the boilers. You have to make sure that you are ALWAYS in contact with the bottom. I usually use a 12" tag which seems effective for everything from flatties to calicos. Spectra can be a good choice for non line shy species like flatties but I use 12 lb XTRA strong P-Line. One of the most important factors to fish the boiler areas is to ALWAYS plan your landing spot which can get real sketchy in some areas. Boilers are very UNFORGIVING. Stay away from fluorocarbon around the rocks. It's not needed in those areas and will snap very quickly if a fish wraps you around the rock for just a second. Also inspect your line above your rig very often for nicks which will result in a long distance release for sure. Many things are always changing around the boilers right in front of your face. Tides,currents,floating kelp and swells all keep you on your toes but it's an incrediable challenge. That's why we call it COMBAT fishing. If it was easy there would be a ton of people doing it....LOL
If you want any more details on what bait's to try just pm me and I will try to help.