PDA

View Full Version : Perris Action... Good times/bad times

fishmounter
05-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Well I made it out alone to Lake Perris early this morning to check it out for the "Panfish Smack Down" that I just found out has recently been postponed. (WTH?) If it was happening Sunday I would have done great! I got lots of very nice Coppernose Bluegills, and a few Redears. I also caught a bass that measured about 20 inches! Thought I had giant 'Gill at first! I had lots of fun on my ultralight rods and 2 lb test line, until a big bluegill pulled my favorite rod off of my tube! I am so bummed! I had just caught a very big Bluegill that had the hook down in it's mouth. I put my rod down on the float tube in front of me with the fish in the water so It wouldn't flop all over the place, to get my needle nose pliers out of a compartment. I thought I had enough of the rod and reel back so the fish could not pull it in...WRONG...all of a sudden I see a rod that looks like mine go across my legs and down..Hey! thats MY rod! I tried for about an hour to snag that rod. All I got was an old metal chain stringer, and reel case and a brown beer bottle. Oh well, it was an old rod and a cheap Shimano reel, but that rod was awesome and had the lightest tip I've ever seen. Can't find them anywhere. From now on, I'm going to use a tether! If anyone catches a Bluegill attached to a black ultralite rod and tiny reel, let me know!

Seng90806
05-01-2009, 05:15 PM
today seems like rod's are getting jacked by the fish...i went striper fishing and my buddy's rod went flying overboard and the boat next to us had one of their rod fly overboard...lol....dont worry the smack down will be up and running very soon...i just need to get some stuff situated so STAY TUNE!!!

exfactor
05-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Red ear's are notorious for pulling rods into the water. I've seen at least six leave my boat in my life. Got a few back even! I always laugh when I take some one perch fishing, and see them looking all around and not watching their rod. Know it's gonna happen. What was big gill?

fishmounter
05-01-2009, 07:45 PM
What do you mean "What was big gill?"... How can a big Bluegill be anything else? Bluegills are Bluegills. Redears are Redears. Different kind of fish. But both are "sunfish". Maybe you meant "how big was big gill?" It was about a pound... 10 inches long.

Socal Bassman
05-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the rod. I've seen it happen many times there. Good to hear you did good on the 'gills though. Thanks for the report.