PDA

View Full Version : PB Surf Calico :-)

bones
05-01-2009, 12:00 PM
The plan today was to hit up my local torture spot admist the boilers and tidal surge to try to attempt to catch a legal flattie. This was to be a short session with Farmacist and Bigred because it was a work day. Met up at greylight and it Didn't look real good but what the hell.....Let's give it a shot.
We covered the area real good in about an hour without a single bite and I was just BSing with Farmy when I get bit. I drop my rod tip and wait for the load up and then swing --------FISH ON!
She hit it about 15 ft in front of me and the current was very strong so I had no choice but to try to horse her in with all of the boilers around. Once AGAIN I got her to my toes and I could see my bait right down her throat. This fish was VERY legal probably around 28" or so and I had to make a split decision. I decided to try to bounce her between the rocks and of course.......She snapped my 12lb P-line!!!!!
Well......That sucks but I'm getting use to this happening in this spot. That's 5 FARMED LEGALS IN THIS SPOT THIS YEAR!!!
So Farmy bounces off to work and Bigred and I decide to head up the coast a few miles just to see if another one of our favorite spots was looking any better. Got there and it was the same crappy conditions but we decided to take a walk to some of our favorite structure and give it a shot. About half way down this stretch of beach I notice a kelp paddy within casting distance and toss my white ice at it when I get hammered!
I thought for sure that I was on a nice sized flattie but as the fish got closer we I saw a dorsal fin sticking out ot the water!
Turned out to be my PB surf calico at 3.7lbs! Not a titan by any meens but still my PB from the surf and a skunk beater....LOL
She put up a really good fight too!
CPR'd to grow and fight another day.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/pbcalico42009-1.jpg

And the CPR for the meat eaters on the board!!

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/pbcalico42009-2.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/pbcalico42009-3.jpg

Thanks for the pics Bigred....Your a good guy and a great sport!

There was a modeling agency on the beach shooting for the summer Target adds and they had all of the catering bells and whistles going on. Me and Bigred started talking to the photographer assistants and the two guys were cool enough to go and get us two plates of food including salad,Grilled salmon,Grilled chicken and brownies along with drinks......SCORE for us for sure. Ya gotta love Socal!!!!

victor101
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Nice surf calico Bones! how were the salad conditions? Im thinking of hitting it up soon.

cappo
05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Nice job Bones. Thats a good size surf calico.

BIGRED KILLA
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
It was good surf fishing with you Mike way to go on the calico see you out there soon.

Bigred

DEADROOTS
05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Wow, I bet you guys had a great day in the surf. Good job.

ghetto dad
05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
NICE JOB BROTHER!!!

And great job on the Catch and Release!!! Really nice, I love seeing that! I know at least TWO members on here are in tears seeing that fish released, it would have been dinner in the over for them......

GD

farmacist
05-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Beautiful fish Bones, congrats! I'm definitely going to make a habit of stopping on my way to the office more often. It's nice getting to work and knowing that I already got an hour or two of fishing in before all the usual daily BS work stuff. It helps clear my head and makes the workday go by much faster. Again, good job on the cali and always good fishin' w/ you.

troutdog
05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Ncie calico Bones, way to punk the skunk....what a sweet way to spend part of the day.

TD

Wingnut
05-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, well... look who snuck out and hit the spot without me knowing. :Wink:
Nice Calico Mike, see ya soon. :Cool:

bsp
05-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Good job on the surf calico release, and sorry to hear about the farmed legal.

Native Gal
05-01-2009, 08:20 PM
B,
That is one sweet Calico from the surf, Congrats :Thumbs Up:.

NG
:Big Grin:

flyngby
05-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Mike,

Sorry to here you lost another one to the boilers but at least you are getting on the battle!

Congrats on the nicer Checker, I wish we could have got 1 of those last April 4 in Dana Pt.

I got the PM from WN about last weeks outing in the surf and I wished I had been there but We also had an Epic 3 hours in the Harbor on the Spotties and Short Flatties!

Hope to get out with you before the long Summer Season for me with limited days to fish with you and the Pirates!

Keep up the good work in the surf!

Steve

paDDy
05-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Congrats on your p.b. surf calico!! Great job on the release too. Tired of hearing about all the big ones that got away buddy, got to do something about that- spectra.

bones
05-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Nice surf calico Bones! how were the salad conditions? Im thinking of hitting it up soon.

Salad everywhere but that goes with the territory! PM sent.

Nice job Bones. Thats a good size surf calico.

Thanks cappo....It's all good!

It was good surf fishing with you Mike way to go on the calico see you out there soon.

Bigred

Pretty soon You are going to start charging me for the photo sessions BR ....LOL

Wow, I bet you guys had a great day in the surf. Good job.

It's always a great day when you are in the surf!!!

NICE JOB BROTHER!!!

And great job on the Catch and Release!!! Really nice, I love seeing that! I know at least TWO members on here are in tears seeing that fish released, it would have been dinner in the over for them......

GD

I hear ya GD.......Make that 1 1/4 members. At least G contributes to the board!

Beautiful fish Bones, congrats! I'm definitely going to make a habit of stopping on my way to the office more often. It's nice getting to work and knowing that I already got an hour or two of fishing in before all the usual daily BS work stuff. It helps clear my head and makes the workday go by much faster. Again, good job on the cali and always good fishin' w/ you.

What did I tell ya Omar.......It's a great way to start your day bro and it's only going to get better. I've got onto some really good bites at greylight and it's so damn convienient of a spot for you.

Ncie calico Bones, way to punk the skunk....what a sweet way to spend part of the day.

TD

Thanks TD.....I'm starting to get addicted to starting my day at the beach since it's only 25 minutes from my house. Just a quick hop over the hill but it's hard sometimes to quit in order to start my work day.

Well, well... look who snuck out and hit the spot without me knowing. :Wink:
Nice Calico Mike, see ya soon. :Cool:

I gotta let you in on the secrets one at a time Arthur......Don't want you to poach out my honey holes....LOL. See ya tomorrow for the southern slayfest!

Good job on the surf calico release, and sorry to hear about the farmed legal.

Thanks for the props and don't be sorry.......It's only the beginning of the season and I'm working on a new rig just for the boiler rocks!!

B,
That is one sweet Calico from the surf, Congrats :Thumbs Up:.

NG
:Big Grin:

Yeah....she made me smile ..... Thanks for the props!

Mike,

Sorry to here you lost another one to the boilers but at least you are getting on the battle!

Congrats on the nicer Checker, I wish we could have got 1 of those last April 4 in Dana Pt.

I got the PM from WN about last weeks outing in the surf and I wished I had been there but We also had an Epic 3 hours in the Harbor on the Spotties and Short Flatties!

Hope to get out with you before the long Summer Season for me with limited days to fish with you and the Pirates!

Keep up the good work in the surf!

Steve

Boy ohhhhhh Boy.......I hope you get the time off on a few sundays Steve. I've got a serious spot to share with you that will get you that first legal from the surf for sure.

Congrats on your p.b. surf calico!! Great job on the release too. Tired of hearing about all the big ones that got away buddy, got to do something about that- spectra.

Thanks Patrick.........I'm already working on that rig but I need Omar to teach me that albright or uni to uni to pull it off. Hell...I don't even think that I'll need a leader if only targeting flatties but we will see. That spot is sooooooooo fishy and I owe it all to you for turning me onto the spot.

boxl0bster
05-02-2009, 07:15 PM
thats a really nice surf calico!! the ones i've caught are about half the size. :Crying:

russ88
05-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Nice checker Michael.... Solid fish!!! Take me Take me....lol

Santa Fe Eric
05-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Nice work Bones! Beautiful fish!

Tell me more about the brownies! Did they have chocolate chips or nuts on them :Envious:

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Nice fish but that fish would have looked much more impressive on a plate with a garnish

bones
05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Nice fish but that fish would have looked much more impressive on a plate with a garnish

Good one Gary!
I see that you have learned alot from Geordy.....LOL

flyngby
05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
QUOTE=bones;338682]CPR'd to grow and fight another day.

Mike,

Looks like you released it right into the close proximity of a very small but Hungry Baby Killer Whale!:EyePop:

Take a look at the bottom middle of the pic!

What is all that thrashing around you feet in this pic! Was there a School of them?:ROFL::ROFL:

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/pbcalico42009-3.jpg

LunkerLover
05-04-2009, 07:19 PM
h-o-l-y c-r-a-p. Global warming my arse. Orcas in SOCAL!

BIGRED KILLA
05-04-2009, 07:38 PM
h-o-l-y c-r-a-p. Global warming my arse. Orcas in SOCAL!

Ya we saw a few of them near are legs but please keep it on the Down Low.

Bigred

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Good one Gary!
I see that you have learned alot from Geordy.....LOL
Ha ha ha
There seems to be a lot of that going around...maybe he should guide !

Jaysuuun
05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
LOL when I first opened up this thread I was expecting to see a calico surfperch, then I saw your pics. :EyePop: Nice Calico Bass!

pokerface12
05-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Very nice catch from the surf.