PDA

View Full Version : the macs are back.

92yj
04-30-2009, 10:00 PM
headed out to Newport pier to see what is hitting. to my surprise the macs are back in so cal. put some good size catfish bait in to the bucket.

also got some Spanish macs, and some sardines. all in all a good day, weather was vary good not to cold or windy.

so if you need that cat food hit it up. fun on the light tackle.

have fun and god bless.

DEADROOTS
04-30-2009, 10:09 PM
There's Spanish Makeral in these waters?

92yj
04-30-2009, 10:11 PM
There's Spanish Mackerel in these waters?

yep got a hand full about 5inc size. hey were boils every so often.

ghetto dad
04-30-2009, 10:26 PM
There's Spanish Makeral in these waters?

we have LOTS of spanish macks here....I remember one year many years ago when i worked on the Matt Walsh, we were getting them up to 10 lbs....they are REALLY good eating.....

GD

victor101
04-30-2009, 11:02 PM
WOOOHOOO!!! the macs are here....GD! get the coke can rig ready holmes! Ill bring the Tecate rig Just incase the bonita are around too!

ghetto dad
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
WOOOHOOO!!! the macs are here....GD! get the coke can rig ready holmes! Ill bring the Tecate rig Just incase the bonita are around too!

omg.....:ROFL::ROFL:you know youre happy...dont play

GD

pokerface12
05-01-2009, 01:00 AM
we have LOTS of spanish macks here....I remember one year many years ago when i worked on the Matt Walsh, we were getting them up to 10 lbs....they are REALLY good eating.....

GD

I never seen one that big before in my life. I'll take you word for it, and yes I agree with you 100% on how good they cook up.

BIGRED KILLA
05-01-2009, 04:23 AM

GD

Hey steve are you sure spanish Macks i never new they got that big.

Bigred

bonestock
05-01-2009, 10:17 AM
spanish macs are the ones with the line along their sides right? that line is nice and sharp, learned that the hard way.

if the dines' come in, in full force i hope the bonitos come in again. i havent seen any bonies from the pier in years.

City Dad
05-01-2009, 10:26 AM
This is a serious post.

I'd like to take some kids out for something as face-paced as Balboa Tilapia. Size is not important.

First of all, anyone here with kids who'd want to meet up with us for mac fishing? (and I promise I'm a lot nicer in person.)

Secondly, where can macs be found around LA? I'm looking for a fairly kid-safe spot, like a pier.

Any help greatly appreciated!

TShaffer
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I've been gettin macs almost year round at the bait barge (right outside alamitos bay).

victor101
05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
This is a serious post.

I'd like to take some kids out for something as face-paced as Balboa Tilapia. Size is not important.

First of all, anyone here with kids who'd want to meet up with us for mac fishing? (and I promise I'm a lot nicer in person.)

Secondly, where can macs be found around LA? I'm looking for a fairly kid-safe spot, like a pier.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Mac attack every night at Redondo Pier...

fishindude420
05-01-2009, 10:46 AM
ive been waiting years for this post :) Its time for mackking420 to slay.

City Dad
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Mac attack every night at Redondo Pier...

Thanks, 101. How early in the evening do you think I we could get there and still catch?

KEL40
05-01-2009, 12:13 PM
There a lot of fun catching them on the 1/2 oz. Mega Bait in an anchovy pattern!! Just might swing out there Sunday!! THanks

victor101
05-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks, 101. How early in the evening do you think I we could get there and still catch?

Not sure what time they show up...im pretty sure u can catch them all day but at around 8pm its WFO!

ghetto dad
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I never seen one that big before in my life. I'll take you word for it, and yes I agree with you 100% on how good they cook up.

They are jacks, and jacks get large....we were fishing them will SMALL chrome jigs, you had to meter them first...they were in deeper water outside by the double rigs....this was in the 80's man....

GD

ghetto dad
05-01-2009, 12:28 PM
ive been waiting years for this post :) Its time for mackking420 to slay.

LMAO!!:ROFL:

Not sure what time they show up...im pretty sure u can catch them all day but at around 8pm its WFO!

thats cool homie...gettin back to your roots.....

GD

ghetto dad
05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
They are jacks, and jacks get large....we were fishing them will SMALL chrome jigs, you had to meter them first...they were in deeper water outside by the double rigs....this was in the 80's man....

GD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachurus_symmetricus

aka jack mackeral, aka spanish mackeral, aka vic101's we* dream...:ROFL:

GD

daveg456
05-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Yeah, just let me know when you're ready to step up. I have some contacts and can hook you up with two speed Corona bottles. That's what all the cool kids are using.

ghetto dad
05-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, just let me know when you're ready to step up. I have some contacts and can hook you up with two speed Corona bottles. That's what all the cool kids are using.

omg....2 speed corona bottles!!:ROFL::ROFL:

vic on yay = 2 speed corona bottles..!!:ROFL:

GD

City Dad
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM

thanks, man. how crowded is it there?

victor101
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
thanks, man. how crowded is it there?

Usually very crowded...very...

ghetto dad
05-01-2009, 04:33 PM
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

THREE pages for mackeral.....LOL

GD

Justonemore
05-01-2009, 11:59 PM
hey city dad, balboa pier is my pier of choice, I usually get there on Friday or saturday nite around 7-8 pm, is not that crowded but they have a rubys at the end of the pier, I take my kids there all the time, is alot of fun when is wide open, we have 50+ nite, sabaki rigs with a glow stick and small strip of squid is the ticket, let me know if you want to go.

J