PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone answer a skinner question?

hughpam
04-30-2009, 04:48 PM
My boat is a two stroke, with the VRO oil injection system. The lady there told me that it has to be a 2001 or later model. Mine is a 2000 model. She seemed to think it wouldn't matter though. I just don't want to get down there to turn around.

Anyone know FOR SURE?

For the record, she was great to talk with and was very concerned that I get good service and was taken care of. Kudos to her!!

Nessie Hunter
05-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Boat Requirements

http://www.dvlake.com/images/spacer02.gif

MTBE Free Fuel.
Metropolitan has banned fuels containing MTBE from the lake. Only gasoline free of the additive MTBE is allowed. Boats containing MTBE fuel will be turned away. The California Air Resources Board has reported that MTBE was removed from all gasoline refined for sale in California in Nov. 2003. Therefore, all gasoline must be purchased in California and proof of purchase will be required for boats with out-of-state registration. Refueling is prohibited except in designated areas.
For those who cannot burn up the MTBE fuel in their tanks, or who are looking for a completely worry-free day on the water, rental boats are available at Diamond Valley Lake.

http://www.dvlake.com/images/spacer02.gif
Engine Requirements.
To be allowed onto the reservoirs, you’ll need the cleaner burning models that comply with California Air Resources Board emission standards for model year 2001 or later (or the equivalent 2006 standard set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency)
With the exception of personal watercraft, all four-cycle engines (regardless of year) are allowed on DVL and Lake Skinner.
If your engine is model year 2001 or later , and made by the following major marine engine manufacturers , it should comply:

Johnson and Evinrude.
Honda Motor Corp.
Yamaha Motor Corp.
Suzuki Motor Corp.
Tohatsu Corp.
Mercury Marine.
Nissan Marine.

If you are still not sure look for the stars New technology engines (model year 2001 and later) have a one-to-three star decal showing they comply with emission standards. Or check for the label EPA-certified engines from 1998 to 2000 display an Emission Control Information label that shows it complies with 2001 (or later) California emission regulations for spark-ignition marine engines.
For supporting details, check the owner's manual or the manufacturer's Web site.
What about pre-1998 engines?
Pre-1998 two-cycle engines that use carburetors or electronic fuel injection (EFI) technology, will not comply with the combustion engine requirements for use on DVL or Lake Skinner.
If you’re not sure, contact the California Air Resources Board.

http://www.dvlake.com/images/spacer.gif

DBass
05-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Your motor has to be 2 star or better compliant. if it's a 2 stroke it would have to be DFI Direct Fuel Injected. but it might have been made just prior to the 2001 compliance in which they labeled it 2001 carb emissions compliant. If your not sure you can call the number posted above just have your motor information (yr, model, serial) or ask your mechanic he will know. Good Luck.

hughpam
05-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Dbass, I don't see a number to call.

DBass
05-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Sorry, i thought I pasted it in there. here you go.

General Inquiries call (800) 242-4450

California Air Resources Board
1001 "I" Street
P.O. Box 2815
Sacramento, CA 95812

Sacramento Public Information: (916) 322-2990 or FAX: (916) 445-5025

El Monte Public Information: (626) 575-6858

TTY/TDD/Speech-to-Speech Users May Dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service
or 1-800-735-2922 (Voice)

For Speech-to-Speech: Dial 1-800-854-7784