jimmy951
04-30-2009, 12:24 AM
flat line. stink bait.

JediMindTricks
04-30-2009, 06:21 AM
12-14lb line.
decent size hooks..... ive used 1's.
decent spinning reel rod setup.
bait! hot dogs, cheese, chicken or beef liver, any stink bait.
and a pole holder.

troutman27
04-30-2009, 11:49 AM
It can also depend on where one is fishing. I've had lots of luck using chicken livers dipped in Hogwild (it's almost like some company bottled up vomit and turds, since it really stinks). Also, I've had better luck fly lining the bait, rather than using a weight.

Skyler
04-30-2009, 12:00 PM
It can also depend on where one is fishing. I've had lots of luck using chicken livers dipped in Hogwild (it's almost like some company bottled up vomit and turds, since it really stinks). Also, I've had better luck fly lining the bait, rather than using a weight.

Awful stuff, that Hogwild! The only way to get the smell off you is to roll in cow manure for an hour, lol. As for bait choice, i like cut mackeral or good old fashioned night crawlers for kitties. I like to fish a medium action and an 8 pound test 1/2 oz carolina rig with the mackeral, and I like to flyline the crawlers on 4 pound test with a 9 foot medium light and work them in like little senkos. Sometime I get a wild hair and bring out the big 9 foot heavy surf setup with 15 pound line, but usually just for flatheads.

HBJapo
04-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Awful stuff, that Hogwild! The only way to get the smell off you is to roll in cow manure for an hour, lol. As for bait choice, i like cut mackeral or good old fashioned night crawlers for kitties. I like to fish a medium action and an 8 pound test 1/2 oz carolina rig with the mackeral, and I like to flyline the crawlers on 4 pound test with a 9 foot medium light and work them in like little senkos. Sometime I get a wild hair and bring out the big 9 foot heavy surf setup with 15 pound line, but usually just for flatheads.

Y'allz killin' me....

Japo :Envious:

fishndrinknsmokin
04-30-2009, 08:25 PM

yeah hogwild works great but smells as bad as everyone says. The one thing that does work for getting rid of the smell off your hands tho is washing them with toothpaste. Leaves them smelling minty fresh. I now carry a tube of toothpaste with me whenever I'm fishing for kitties and will be using hogwild.

old pudd fisher
04-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Well put I love it [Bottled up vomit and turds and we could add more to, well I wont go thier] :EyePop:

B@$$[P][M][P]
05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
just make sure you keep your eye on the pole. If your using chicken livers make sure you put the hook though the nerve part right in the middle so it wont fly off when you cast it, and just cast about 10 to 15 feet if you can. shrim in hogwild is best they stay on and last hours.

JediMindTricks
05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Beef liver stays on better. and YES beef livers do hit. one of the largest catfishs i have ever caught was on beef liver.
anyways, if you want chickin liver to stay on better, just freeze it and let it semi thaw out befor you fish. ive even heard of people going to the extreme of making little sacks out of nylon and freezing them. i dont see the need.

joebass
05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
YOU CAN ALSO TIE IT ON WITH THREAD.I HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH MACKREL STRIPS. JMO. LOVE THE ALLNIGHTERS AT FAIRMONT WITH THE CATS IN MY FAVORITE SPOT. :EyePop: :Secret:

Bradakas
05-11-2009, 02:06 PM
+1 on beef livers. Caught some last weekend on it. They are firmer than chicken and easier to hook.

go fish
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Most people prefer old stinky bait for cats.I use fresh shrimp,fresh chicken livers,fresh mackrel.A mix of all three on a 1/0 to 4/0 hook and always put liver on first so other baits will hold liver on hook and if you loose one bait you still have bait on hook.Sometimes marshmellow and mealworms work when nothing else works,cheese flavor,garlic flavor,anise flavor or just regular mini marshmellows will work.Flyline is best but when fishing from shore and you have to use some weight to get out there a sliding sinker a snap swivel and a snelled hook work great!

TShaffer
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Don't forget about the trout setups! I was at an undisclosed OC lake this winter and caught just as many catfish as I did trout on my 2lb-1/4oz sliding sinker-swivel-and #12 trebs with powerbait. It works!

jayfish0084
05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
i guess ill add my 2 cents on the chicken liver. Two - three days before you use them mix a couple spoon fulls of kosher salt in the container they come in and stick em in the fridge and it will toughen the livers up for use. they will stay on the hook no problem even with hard casting. I have caught 3 cats on the same piece of liver.

fishindude
05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I usually use a carolina rig consisting of 10 lb. main line, 1 oz. sliding sinker(depending on distance), size 1 baitholder hook, and a leader about 8 inches. Baits for me are chicken livers, shrimp, or anchovies.