PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for Bluegill Question

fishntime
04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
This Question is for all you slab slayers. I have a three year old child and she is ready to get on the boat and begin to slay. I want to put her on some fish so she will actually catch something, so I was thinking bluegill at Perris. So heres the ? . How do you rig crickets, I have three ultralight rods that are rigged up with 4 pound test. Ive never fished for bluegills, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Koshaw
04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
This Question is for all you slab slayers. I have a three year old child and she is ready to get on the boat and begin to slay. I want to put her on some fish so she will actually catch something, so I was thinking bluegill at Perris. So heres the ? . How do you rig crickets, I have three ultralight rods that are rigged up with 4 pound test. Ive never fished for bluegills, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

It has been a while since I have caught bluegills at Big Bear and at Irvine Lake but I remember it well. They were close to the shore. I used a weighted bobber and meal worm and they regularly hit it.

I would think 2-4 lb test should work as the fish are not that big or super heavy fighters. Maybe go fluorocarbon. And a tiny treble hook should be fine. I also hear crickets work as well.

I too will be fishing at Perris this Sunday from the shore. If you want another person on your boat hollar as I will be there =)

pasadenafishin
04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
out a cricket on a hook w/ a small split shot

Fishbreath
04-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Hook the cricket lightly under the collar on top from front to back. Use a thin wire hook like maybe a #8 aberdeen. Good luck.

jeff4321
04-30-2009, 09:02 AM
bobber-size 10 mosquito- wax worm. Game over..

Koshaw
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks =) gang =)

Skyler
04-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I hate crickets. Nothing to ruin your day like all of your bait dying by noon, or the wonderful fact that one nip from a fish rips the bait right off the hook, or who can forget those fun casts where your cricket goes 20 feet but your line goes out 50. Now I use mealworms exclusively, and I have to admit, I've noticed no difference in catch rate. But I can get a good twenty casts out of a threaded mealworm. As for rigging, i do not use bobbers at Lake Perris. The fish are generally holding deep. Best rig i've found is a 1/4 oz dropper loop rig with two meal worms set at 12" and 24" up the line. Cast out, and reel in ever so slowly. Simple as that. If you find a concentration of fish, just leave your bait there and bounce the worms like a dropshot. You'll be pleasantly suprised.