PDA

View Full Version : swimmie set up

hookup
04-28-2009, 05:18 PM
this year i want a nother swimbait rod i already have a dobyns mag heavy with the cardiff 400 a.this coming fall i want to have a new set up for like triple trouts, hudd 5, and punkers. dont want a rod over 180 dollars and i want a low profile reel no more than 285 dollars. could you guys throw some ideas out there. got to start saving now since im only 14 years old

calico killer kevin
04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
What's wrong with your setup right now? How about just a rod that's a little lighter?

Dude, there's really no need to spend that much for a seasonal hobby and especially when you're young. Your setup right now should be fine, but if you have to, you could go a little lighter on the rod.

bsp
04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
You can pick up Curado 300Es on ebay for $200 from legitimate sellers, so there's your reel. Then, you can add $75 to spend on the rod, which gives you a $255 budget. Now you can afford a Phenix 711MH or 790H for $230 or $240. The extra you will have leftover can go to pay for shipping.

This combo fits your price range and will work really well. Since you already have a mag heavy set up, I would lean towards the MH (awesome with Lunker Punkers), but you should check them out in person to figure out which you prefer.

hookup
04-28-2009, 05:53 PM
just want another one so i can throw more baits at once instead of having to tie on every time i want to throw a diffrent bait

calico killer kevin
04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
just want another one so i can throw more baits at once instead of having to tie on every time i want to throw a diffrent bait
Polamar's all of what...like 30 seconds. Extra 30 seconds beats $300 for combo. JMO

samgann93
04-28-2009, 06:31 PM
i get you hookup. i would go with the dobyns 795. i havent used it but have heard it the stuff for punkers. put a curado 300 on that and its an awesome setup.

good luck.

basscatcher
04-28-2009, 06:47 PM
go with a calcutta 400b thats $250 yes its not a low profile reel but its not as expensive as the low profile reels and i think its better for this kind of fishing, you can get it at bps, then get a okuma heavy or a heavy crucial rating 5''-8'' swimbaits. the okuma is a really good rod i hear and its only $100. the crucial is what i have and i love it. it is $170. i got the calcutta400b and heavy crucial for swimbaits and its perfect for it. if thats not what you want you can get a corvalus 300 on a crucial med hevy 7'11 rating for 3''-5'' baits but i recommend the the heavier setup like i said earlier. have fun looking for what you want.

God BLess

basscatcher

hookup
04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
i need that high gear ratio reel for those triple trouts. so i can burn the hell out of them.

ghetto dad
04-28-2009, 09:00 PM
damn ballers.....

GD

basscatcher
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
i need that high gear ratio reel for those triple trouts. so i can burn the hell out of them.

you wont get the line capacity on a low profile reel like you do with the rounded reels. plus you need at least 25lb line for the tt. i would go 30lb to feel safe and when you use that treel for the punkers you will easly toss 3/4 of your line, i do with a calcutta 400b with 120 yrds of 30lb. so those low profile reel might get loose its line.

God BLess

basscatcher

bsp
04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Basscatcher, a lot of guys use Curado 300s for Lunker Punkers, myself included, without any problems. I personally haven't had a problem with line capacity, and I have used 20lb and 25lb. You do run low with straight 25lb, but the drag is buckled down at 15lbs so the bass isn't going to take more than a few yards of line if any.

basscatcher
04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
how many yrds of 25 can you fit on it?

God BLess

basscatcher

bsp
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Since I spool line on myself, I assume around 80yds of straight 25lb P-Line CXX give or take a few.

hookup
05-03-2009, 05:21 PM
i dont mind using braid any ways

swimbait101
05-03-2009, 07:29 PM
80 yds is a pretty small amount. On a good cast i could wipe out 100 yds of my cardiff 400

hookup
05-03-2009, 07:32 PM
im not too worried about the line ill just throw like 70 or 80 pound braid ill mostly be throwing the tt and punkers any ways.

dockboy
05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Be careful of braid on a Triple Trout. I throw them on 25lb. mono with a Cardiff 400. You can easily break off on a bad cast with braid. For me, the TT is a clear water bait, something to give the fish when they won't touch a BBZ or something similar. If you are using it only for night fishing, braid would do. IF you're looking to save money, go with the Okuma 711H, IMO. One of the best hard bait rods out there, great for the mid sized Triple Trout most ppl throw. Put whatever reel you may on there, a 300 size Curado will hold enough 25lb to not be concerned. I grew up fishing the round reels on the swimmies, the sb guys I learned from like Rob Belloni use them, so that what I like. I use a Cardiff because I find the swim bite is better slow than fast, and at 5.2:1 that the 400 offers with a larger spool, I can burn them if need be. But to each his own.

For Lunker Punkers braid is just right, its basically a big topwater. The Dobyns 795ML is my rod of choice for them. But you use them on the 711H too, the handle is long but the rod will do the job. Personally, mono is the most versatile. You could do a braid to mono leader setup, if you tie the connecting knot right is will hold fine. I prefer straight mono, or straight braid, depending on the bait used. You're 14 dude.Im still in those days lol. Do whatever you can afford!!!! :LOL:

ghost2uu
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
get the okuma guide select swimbait rod 169.99 I own the heavy and xtraheavy they are bad ***. Plus they have lifetime warranties and the wharehouse is in ontario if you ever need to go there

basscatcher
05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Since I spool line on myself, I assume around 80yds of straight 25lb P-Line CXX give or take a few.

yea you would spool out if you tossed the big lunker punker. try 25lb gamma

God Bless

basscatcher

bsp
05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I have bombed the 9in Punker with this set up, like I said before, and I had about 2 or 3yds left. I could spool out if I really wanted to, but there really isn't a point to it. Most of the park lakes I fish don't even have room to lay out an 80yd cast. Also, most Lunker Punker strikes come fairly close to shore (boat fishing and shore fishing) unless you are targeting stripers. My reel is used for other baits too, and I don't spool it out if I toss Hudds, CL8s, or Mattlures Bluegills.

If you want to turn a Curado 300 into a dedicated Lunker Punker reel, you fill it up with 80lb braid. The downside to that is that if you backlash, you will need to respool and something might break (line or knot and the bait will be gone). I might try it this summer because Punkers do work better on braid, but then you have a reel that can only be used for one thing. The whole topshot route is an option for versatility, but I'd rather minimize the amount of potential failure points when throwing big baits.

The reason I suggested 25lb mono on a Curado 300 is mainly for the reason dockboy stated. The reel will hold enough for practical use with Lunker Punkers, and it will allow the reel to be used for other purposes as well.

I seriously appreciate the line recommendation too. My next line to try is Triple Fish Camo Escent, but I'll try Gamma after that. Are you talking about the flourocarbon or the copolymer though? Flourocarbon I probably won't try after seeing a guy bust off a wake jr on a bad backlash with it. He said he was using Seaguar, and eventually got his bait back. Thanks!

hookup
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
ya dude get what your saying i aint afraid of breaking off though and if i do start having trouble with braid i just put some 20# izor or gamma. i feel plenty confident enough with 20# unless i were to hook into like a 18 plus striper then i would get worried but other than that im cool with the largies unless i were to hook into a 20 or something

dockboy
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Remember if you keep your drags in shape and tuned right for the size line you are using, the fight is your least concern. If you have everything right, your reel can put out 5lbs of drag on 20lb without issue. I rarely, if ever, go above a quarter. I have gone to half when throwing the Mission Fish in massive tule lay downs, but that is rare.

BSP, I think you'll enjoy the Triple Fish. Its one of the best lines I've ever had the pleasure to use for SBs. My standard is 25lb. P-Line CXXX or Izorline Platinum, both of which are tough. But the TF is damn good stuff, great memory qualities and great strength. For flouro, I know guys who use it exclusively. One trick is to use 30lb, with the reduced line spectrum it looks more like 25 mono in the water, and you get the increased sensitivity and abrasion resistance. I prefer to use a flouro leader instead, which is something I care over from saltwater fishing. If the bite gets tough, the difference in visibility between 20-25lb mono and the same sized flouro can save the day. Another tip I learned from the guys at the Calfishing board :Smile:

hookup
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
thanks man i need to learn how to set my drag for the right line. someone helped me out with that at dvl one day and set it for me.

bsp
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
dockboy, I am looking forward to trying the TF. It is cheap, so if it works well I will have a new go to line. I know all about flouro leaders since I mainly target various saltwater fish. I will try it too, but I really like minimizing points of potential failure when tossing swimbaits. Thanks for the advice!

hookup, set the drag so the line comes out slowly but steadily when you pull really hard on your lure. Generally, 1/4 or 1/3 of your line strength is good like dockboy said, but if you don't have access to a scale the above works.

hookup
05-05-2009, 05:31 PM
thanks man appreciate it how do you use the scale to set your drag though a guy did it at dvl with me with his scale but i forgot how to do it.

bsp
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Tie a knot to your scale, adjust the drag to where you think it should be, and pull constantly until line comes off the reel. The scale will register a weight while you are pulling. That is your current drag setting. Release the tension, adjust your drag up or down, pull again, and repeat until you get the correct setting or really close to it.

hookup
05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
thanks for the info on drag will help a lot in the future.