PDA

View Full Version : Helgramites:

fishin fool
04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey all,
I have been fishing in the Eastern Sierra for decades. I've only heard about helgramites recently. Has anyone tried these there. Any details as to where to find them and how to use them would be greatly appreciated. If you want to protect your sources, please PM me and I will keep it to myself. Thanks and tight lines,
Fishin Fool

Fishmaster B
04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Helgramites usually are good pickens in april/may. The live under rocks, in roots, in shallow water next to the shore. If you can find them they are candy bait for trout, especially when they are still in the larva stage. Hope that helps!

smitty99
04-28-2009, 06:20 PM
In WA state we fished with them but called them Periwinkles...

http://www.fishingmagician.com/getattachment/a0a9ee81-63ca-466c-9a59-b39259974780/Fish-Lake-Periwinkle.aspx?maxsidesize=250

sansou
04-28-2009, 07:35 PM
I fish helgrammites in Colorado, where allowed. I've never seen the traps here in SoCal, but basically picture a wooden rectangular box with a screen at the end. Maybe 10 inches long and 5 inch square opening.

You wade out a little in a stream and place the box downstream from whatever rock/boulder you move. The idea is that the blag bugs get caught up in the screen, and you pick them out from there and put them in worm case (we put a little sand or ripped leaves with water in it).

There's a couple different types, and the big black ones will pinch you hard....however, they are extremely useful baits for finicky trout in super clear water. The idea is to gently pitch them in pools with an itty bitty split shot and let them crawl around. Some people use a really small clear float. I've tried them with a strike indicator too with some success.

I'll make an effort to post some pics end of july when I go back to CO.

Again, many streams do not allow you to cull them....so please check your local regs.

Buford
05-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I've fished with helgramites, although we usually called them case worms. They are a pain to get but wow are they worth it! Great bait to use, you just have to make sure you keep them in constant fresh running water or else they won't last too long. Also, make sure you wear your license with you when you collect them or else face a fine from DFG......I know this for a fact :( I always kept my license in the boat so I didn't forget it. Well, while rummiging through the river turnig rocks for some helgramites the DFG came over to see what was up. Eventhough I had the carbon copy of my license as proof he still reminded me with a ticket that you need your license on you when collecting grubs.

Lesson Learned!

flytyingreloader
05-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Another h-mite user here. These little critters can be found in local streams through mid-autumn, and they are to wary wild 'bows and browns what live squid is to yellowtail--CANDY. When nothing else produces, hellgramites will. Artificials tied to imitate the mites are almost as good, when you can find or create room for a back-cast. These are especially effective on Bear Creek downstream from Big Bear Lake.

flybug
05-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Heck, my dad and I used to collect helgemite larvae from certain spots in the valley floor in Yosemite when I was a kid. I betcha those spots are still good for 'em too. They're great bait, brings back good memories of fishin with my dad when he was alive.

So there's no regulations in the Eastern Sierras or Yosemite for harvesting helgemites these days, and all you need is to be wearing your fishing license?

jim532
05-10-2009, 11:35 AM
ok i don't tie fly's so where can get one that supposed to immitate a helgemite?

flybug
05-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I haven't found one, the closet I ever saw was some compressed white power bait type stuff that was molded in segments that looked sorta similar to the larvae body, but it had no black head on it. Other than that I have never seen anything imitating helgemites in the bait category.

http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/assets/product_images/48020005b2.jpg

City Dad
05-11-2009, 08:57 AM
ok i don't tie fly's so where can get one that supposed to immitate a helgemite?

Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys or Bob Marriots in (Fullerton?)

if you can't find a specific immiatation look for a dark nymph or wet with a bushy profile - like a stonefly with a lot of legs or a river witch. If you are creatively inclined, you could take and color a big hares ear a dark brown or black and then pick out the hairs on the abdomen...

but IHMO it would be hard to beat a plain ol' dark wooly bugger.