PDA

View Full Version : Catalina 6/16

dschmaltz
06-18-2007, 02:07 PM
I decided that I couldn't pass up the smooth waters and hit for Catalina for the 3rd trip so far this month. I took my 12 yr. old daughter who has never been across the channel. We got to see lots of marine life and had a very fun trip. She was able to see porpoises and dolphins on the way across the channel. Whenever I cross the channel and fish the clear blue water I am grossed out by the green, dirty, smelly local water.

Fishing, on the other hand, just wasn't my day. We fished the north side between Italian Garden and Bird Rock area. The morning bite was really slow so I put her on some blue perch to liven things up a bit.

Once the waters warmed a bit, we troll and tried fly-lining for a little better luck. I had fun fly-lining anchovies on freshwater gear for Bonita. A 2-3 lb. Bonita on freshwater gear can sure make the reel scream.

My daughter managed to hook up with large Mackerals & Cuda's trolling a freshwater Rapala Huskyjerk. This was the hot ticket last weekend for me. I only have one left after the Bonito & Cuda killed the other ones last weekend so I let my daughter use it. I tried several other crankbaits and didn't get hit on any of them. My daughter was on fire with large Mackeral and Cudas on the Huskyjerk.

http://calmetro.com/fishing/anna_cuda.jpg
http://calmetro.com/fishing/anna_perch.jpg

The funny thing is that I stopped by Turner's on Thursday and attempted to buy a few more Rapala Huskyjerks. They gave me the idiot treatment and steered me to the better $15-20 Luckycraft cranks. I bit the bullet for one that I thought was close to the right pattern knowing that Cuda's were going to kill this $20 crankbait. It didn't get a bite. Who says that the expensive new stuff is better besides the salesman in the store! I am looking forward to BassPro!!

SOSO
06-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Nice report. The Lucky craft jerkbaits are really made well compare to the Rapala's. Dont discount them so much. They work well. Check out my recent report. I caught a Yellowtail approx. 25lbs. to win the jackpot using a luckycraft.

kanco
06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
A nice day on the water is still better than no fishing at all.

I don't mind catching those blue perch. They can be lots of fun on light tackle. Those suckers use their body to fight and they zip across the water when hooked.

Wingnut
06-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Lucky Craft lures are awesome for fresh & saltwater fishing. I have never seen them on sale though, bummer. :?

dschmaltz
06-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Lucky Craft lures are awesome for fresh & saltwater fishing. I have never seen them on sale though, bummer. :?

They look to be very high quality lures, BUT I didn't want to feed a $15-20 crank to the Cudas when I could buy 3-4 Rapalas for the same price. The pearl clear color is so right on for Catalina right now and the Huskyjerk is that exact color.

JapanRon
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
dschmaltz,

Good job on getting out and soaking in the marine experience only Catalina can give one.

For a special show: It's always worth scraficing a fishy if one sees an eagle and the eagle sees the fishy in your hand.

They've gotten to know when someone is going to trade a fish for their swoop and grab performance.

JapanRon

one_leg
06-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Very nice report. Cool pics too.

One_Leg

dschmaltz
06-18-2007, 08:09 PM
For a special show: It's always worth scraficing a fishy if one sees an eagle and the eagle sees the fishy in your hand.

They've gotten to know when someone is going to trade a fish for their swoop and grab performance.

JapanRon

Wow! I would boat to Catalina in 5-7' seas in my little center console to see that. I didn't know that they would do that. It would certainly be a photo moment.

On a bird note; my daughter hooked a bird that was trying to steal her fly-lined anchovie. That bird now has a hook in its beak; I pulled it as close to the boat as possible and broke off the line but wasn't able to get the hook.

fishnfool
06-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Nice.....nothing like getting the kids involved in fishing...... :lol:

labboss2003
06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
sure was nice over there with kids its always the best