PDA

View Full Version : Skunked in Blythe

mojo76
04-28-2009, 09:18 AM
fished around blythe sun with a buddy fished ditches canals around 4th 6th 8th and 28th nada fished the main river in 3 spots nada we fished with goldfish and mac for over 10 hrs started at 7 am and finished at 9 pm nada. We fished the ditches at the main roads. Not sure we fished it right if we were at the right ditches never drove down the ditch roads can u do u use weight on the live bait how much . I need some help fishing this area I want to enter in that family tornament with my son but don't know enough to fish this area effectively. Any help would be great I want to go back out there and try again. Any one willing to show me what to use and where to go we would be great maybe even guide me. Thanks. - David. :Big Grin:

bluehunter
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I will shoot you some info when I get off work and have the time to type more.

luckie33
04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
i will be there this weekend...if you would like to tag along i will put you in some spots...

mojo76
04-28-2009, 09:43 PM
I might be able to make it sun I'll let u known thanks

Skyler
04-29-2009, 09:36 AM
One thing I make sure to bring to Blyth is mealworms. Run them on a 1-2 foot dropshot rig. If all else fails, you can find epic panfish bites in the faster/cleaner canals there. Last time I was there I caught a 3 pound redear, and a good 100 fatty bluegill and tilapia, not to mention the dozens of small mouth. The Gulp minnows work great on the dropshot for the smallmouth too. But yeah, there are tons of good panfish canals there. Just stick near the bridges. Add in a stiff current, and you'll have all day action and great fights. bring a bucket and aerator, then when night comes, use the smaller bluegill for flathead bait, and fry up the big ones, he he.

Tip: Check out the canal that runs by B&B Bait and tackle on 8th street. You should have a fun day, he he. Then when night hits, head down to the bigger dirt canals near Palo Verde...

Mrmedia
04-29-2009, 02:35 PM
One thing I make sure to bring to Blyth is mealworms. Run them on a 1-2 foot dropshot rig. If all else fails, you can find epic panfish bites in the faster/cleaner canals there. Last time I was there I caught a 3 pound redear, and a good 100 fatty bluegill and tilapia, not to mention the dozens of small mouth. The Gulp minnows work great on the dropshot for the smallmouth too. But yeah, there are tons of good panfish canals there. Just stick near the bridges. Add in a stiff current, and you'll have all day action and great fights. bring a bucket and aerator, then when night comes, use the smaller bluegill for flathead bait, and fry up the big ones, he he.

Tip: Check out the canal that runs by B&B Bait and tackle on 8th street. You should have a fun day, he he. Then when night hits, head down to the bigger dirt canals near Palo Verde...

Sounds like fun I might have to go out there and stay all day and night when it heats up a bit more. One question what size sinker should I use fishing bluegill or redear in the B&B bait canal?

Skyler
04-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Sounds like fun I might have to go out there and stay all day and night when it heats up a bit more. One question what size sinker should I use fishing bluegill or redear in the B&B bait canal?

I usually use a 1/4 ounce non-lead bell sinker. It's heavy enough to keep control of the bait, but still light enough to allow for a natural drift. I replied to your PM with a bit more info. Tight lines.

ScottS
04-30-2009, 07:35 PM
If nothing else, stop by oscars stop n shop on lovekin about a half mile south of the 10fwy. best carne asada ever.

if you really get skunked, they have a kiddie pool at B&B that you can catch some fish out of :)

Skyler
05-01-2009, 12:15 PM
If nothing else, stop by oscars stop n shop on lovekin about a half mile south of the 10fwy. best carne asada ever.

if you really get skunked, they have a kiddie pool at B&B that you can catch some fish out of :)

What the bait tanks, lol? Seriously though, there are some big bass in that little pond out back. But he generally won't let just anybody fish it. Last time I was there the owner brought me and my partners back there and showed me a fatty that had to be at least 8 pounds, and there were plenty of 3 pounders swimming about. We were kinda stuck there for half the day anyways, waiting for the goldfish to arrive. Ended up fishing the rail bridge most of the time, but he did offer to let us fish out back, as long as we C&Red everything. We would have if it weren't for the continuous smallmouth and panfish bite in the canal across the street, lol. Never knew SMB liked mealworms that much...

ScottS
05-02-2009, 01:19 AM
What the bait tanks, lol? Seriously though, there are some big bass in that little pond out back. But he generally won't let just anybody fish it. Last time I was there the owner brought me and my partners back there and showed me a fatty that had to be at least 8 pounds, and there were plenty of 3 pounders swimming about. We were kinda stuck there for half the day anyways, waiting for the goldfish to arrive. Ended up fishing the rail bridge most of the time, but he did offer to let us fish out back, as long as we C&Red everything. We would have if it weren't for the continuous smallmouth and panfish bite in the canal across the street, lol. Never knew SMB liked mealworms that much...

yeah wayne used to let the kids fish in there. I thought it was only for kids so Im surprised he let you fish it.

we used to jump off the north side of the bridge over the street and then float under the street and then climb out on the train tracks. we would do that allllll day in the summer. good times. every now and then we would grab a pole and fish right there

Skyler
05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
yeah wayne used to let the kids fish in there. I thought it was only for kids so Im surprised he let you fish it.

we used to jump off the north side of the bridge over the street and then float under the street and then climb out on the train tracks. we would do that allllll day in the summer. good times. every now and then we would grab a pole and fish right there

Yeah, he felt bad for us having to sit there for 6 hours waiting for bait, lol. We spent most of the time we weren't fishing sitting on the infamous porch, throwing back brews. We even went back the next day just to hang out and get out of the heat. Good bunch of guys at B&B. What they lack in tackle selection, they more than make up for with hospitality.