PDA

View Full Version : Late Report: C-Bass bust on the El Dorado 4/24-25/09

NY4Reels!
04-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Tom and I decided to hit up the El Dorado out of Long Beach Sport Fishing for an over nighter on Friday PM. My wife bought me a gift certificate for Xmas for the landing, but I misplaced it and went nuts looking for it to no avail. Steve, GD was there and I showed him my wife’s CC statement and my reservation number. I have fished with him on a cattle boat in the past and he remembered me. My camera batteries had died and we was nice enough to hook me up with another set para gratis! So Friday night he hooked me up again and honored my reservation and gift certificate! Now how awesome was that!!??

Now back to the trip. The wind was up as we left the port and made for a bumpy ride over. I felt like a hotdog rolling back and forth on a grill! The wind was relentless and the boat rocked and pitched all night long. Tom slept like a baby and I didn’t sleep a wink! I couldn’t wait for gray light, but when it came so did the wind! Man was it howling! Turns out that it made our original spot unfishable, so we move around for a better location. Basically the wind was up all day with a small craft advisory out of Avalon. The bite was non existent today…..

Only a hand full of fish were caught. Tom was first up with a huge *** ray that took him around the boat 1.5 times. I managed a 10 lb black C-bass on my bass rod. It was an awesome fight. He peeled my line several times. Man that sucker was feisty. Took a pic and sent him back home to grow up and make some babies.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/Glenncasale/eldorado42409/bsb.jpg

That was it for a long while. We spent most of our time on the back side of the island searching for C-bass moving here and there. Finally after noon the captain decides to move to the front of the island. At least the wind was not as bad there. He put us on a reef just west of Avalon where we had a pick of short calicos.

I managed 8 shorts, a keeper sheepshead, and a Garibaldi!! How embarrassing!!! I pull up this flame orange fish. I couldn’t wait to shake it off the hook and send it back into the water…….

We made one more stop it was pretty dead there too, but I hooked into a Bonita on my jig stick using a 1 oz Kastmaster. It fought for a while and then came straight for the boat as a seal started to chase it. I reeled as fast as I could before it went under the boat. The guy next to me didn’t know if he was under or over so he couldn’t get out of the way. By that time I lost the Bonita. My line got stuck on a piece of wood on the side of the boat. It would have been the JP fish, but that’s the way it goes. A small grass bass had won it! Captain Eddie had caught the other bonito so it didn’t count.

Well it sure wasn’t a lack of effort by the captain, crew or anglers. It was just difficult to fish with all that wind. It basically shut the bite down. I’m heading out of Dana Point this coming Friday night hopefully to redeem myself at San Clemente Island!

Liteliner
04-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Nice try man. Atleast you got some decent action on the blackie. Hopefully the weather starts cooperating soon. Cant wait for the surface bite to get going. Thanks for the report.

KID CREOLE
04-28-2009, 06:13 AM
For some reason the larger sport boats are having a tougher time each year to catch cbass, the small boats continue to get them thought. Good effort in crappy conditions!

ghetto dad
04-28-2009, 06:37 AM
For some reason the larger sport boats are having a tougher time each year to catch cbass, the small boats continue to get them thought. Good effort in crappy conditions!

come on kid...you know why....the gens, and less people....lol.....they are sensitive to sound...I learned that the hard way jumping off the bait tank during a se bass bite on the Outer Limits, and Gary Nordbye SMACKED the crap outta the back of my legs with the bait scoop!!!!

Nice report brother...sorry about the crap weather!! No worries about what I did for you that evening....lucky it was you!! lol

GD

JapanRon
04-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi NY4Reels,

WTG on the BSB. I love the fact that the juveniles will bite well on the plastics too !! Good job all around on a tough day. Spent it with a great fishing captian and crew/boat .... couldn't ask for more I guess !!

Thanks,

JapanRon

KID CREOLE
04-28-2009, 09:50 AM
come on kid...you know why....the gens, and less people....lol.....they are sensitive to sound...I learned that the hard way jumping off the bait tank during a se bass bite on the Outer Limits, and Gary Nordbye SMACKED the crap outta the back of my legs with the bait scoop!!!!
GD

You're absolutely right! I've tried to tell people this and they look at me like I'm crazy. What do I know, I've never caught any white cbass!

ghetto dad
04-28-2009, 09:58 AM
You're absolutely right! I've tried to tell people this and they look at me like I'm crazy. What do I know, I've never caught any white cbass!

ive been around awhile....lol....theyre newbs...lol...you have to walk QUIETLY while fishing these things...no noise, no nothing.....take care man...

GD

Jackpot Jimmy
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Nice report Glenn, you'll get em next time!

NY4Reels!
04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys!!!

Nice report brother...sorry about the crap weather!! No worries about what I did for you that evening....lucky it was you!! lol

GD

Thanks again Steve!

Kind actions never go unforgotten!

Glenn

victor101
04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the report NY...cant wait to fish the eldo this summer.

ghetto dad
04-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys!!!

Thanks again Steve!

Kind actions never go unforgotten!

Glenn

no worries homie...when can I expect my 800M or blue Avet??? :ROFL:

GD

THROWBACK RANGER
04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the report NY...cant wait to fish the eldo this summer.

me too!!!!!!!!!