PDA

View Full Version : hook recommendations

homers
06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
looking for hook (size, type, manufacturer) recommendations for bait fishing (worm, eggs).

Fishtaco
06-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Homers,

I use mostly Owner hooks for salt and fresh. They're a little on the expensive side but worth the buy.

go to their site and pick out the hooks you need.

http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/hookfinder.htm

greg
06-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I like the Mustad 9260D for crawlers and crickets. A smaller wire and shorter shank hook than the standard Baitholder hook, thus floats better but strong enough so they don't straighten out with a large fish. You can pick this up at Mac's in Bishop.

homers
06-19-2007, 07:34 AM
What size? The reason I ask is that I used baby nightcrawlers and eggs recently and missed many, many fish after getting solid bites. I varied the time before setting the hook but still was missing many fish. So, I'm looking for tips on this and what hooks would result in more fish.

highsierra
06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I always use Gamakatsu size 12 or 10 for baby nightcrawlers. During my recent trip to Convict, I hooked up 6 with baby nightcrawlers on a size 12 Gamakatsu hook and did not lose any fish.

Devious 1
06-19-2007, 10:55 AM
IMHO the smaller the better.....
The fish tend to be on the smaller side (for the most part) up in the Eastern Sierras so I tend to stay w/ the smaller hooks. For bait fishing, a #16 or #18 treble works well. The key with bait is to stay small and light because you need to float the bait off the bottom. The bigger the hook, the more bait it will take to float etc. Which brings up another point, don't put too much bait on the hook as you can/will get bit short. For worms, I thread them onto a #12 straight shank, single hook. Again, I try and stay on the small side so I can better my chances of having it float off the bottom. Some of my friends go even smaller than that, if fact I watched my buddy catch a 6lb. 12oz. rainbow 2 months ago on a #20 mosquito hook!

jeff4321
06-19-2007, 08:06 PM
owner mosquitos dudeee

Headhunter
06-19-2007, 08:54 PM
I prefer the long-legged blondes that you find around the center bar at the Flamingo......

Oh wait....HOOKS! I thought you meant HOOKERS....... :lol:

DreStyle
06-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I like Owner mosquito hooks size 10 - 14. For crawlers, I like to thread them on a #10 baitholder (had good experience w/ mustad or gamakatsu). I generally stay away from trebles because it's harder to release (but if you must I prefer to go with #20).

greeper
06-19-2007, 11:52 PM
I like Owner mosquito hooks size 10 - 14. For crawlers, I like to thread them on a #10 baitholder (had good experience w/ mustad or gamakatsu). I generally stay away from trebles because it's harder to release (but if you must I prefer to go with #20).

Ditto

fishfinder
06-20-2007, 07:41 AM

Ditto

owner mosq. #6

fishfinder
06-20-2007, 07:42 AM

Ditto

owner mosq. #6