PDA

View Full Version : Nph/the wing/nph

ghetto dad
04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, I had the whole day off today, and couldnt decide what I wanted to do today, as far as fishing. Decided this morning, once again, to hit NPH. Dropped Britney off at school, went to Walmart for some d/s weights, which they were out of, and shot down to NPH.

Found me a nice parking spot about 50 feet from my spot. Set up the GuLP d/s with a 5 inch New Penny jerk shad, and began the hunt.

Tide was low, of course. After about 5 casts, I finally get bit. Tap...tap....load up.....swing!!! It was on for about 3 seconds, and, once again, the bass spit the hook!These bass by no means are easy to hook. Said a few choice words under my breath, and made a few more casts.....tap, tap.....this time, I wound slowly until the fish inhaled it,
then set the hook. After a short little battle, my first Spottie gets beached.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10041.jpg

For their size, these Spotties really put up a fight. Took a quick pic, then released the fish. Made a few more casts here, no more taps, and decided to go looking.

I went North, and hit quite a few "fishy" looking spots, for a few hits here and there, and LOTS of weeds. No, not the "good" kind either (eel grass). I probably lost about 7 d/s setups. Anyway, hit this one spot, casted out, and proceeded to d/s back to shore. Then, once again, I get HAMMERED! This fish TOTALLY loaded my rod up, and I set the hook HARD!! Once again, this was a really, really nice fish. Took my up the beach about 10 feet, and then, it spit the hook! I dont know WTH im doing wrong....lol... I brought it my rig, and said wth, Im going to The Wing for awhile, these bass are frustrating me!!!

Made it to the wing in about 40 minutes. Upon walking onto the sand, I immediately noticed a nice 10-15 knott SE wind blowing in my face. Decided to give it a shot anyhow, set up a 5 inch GULP smelt, and made the first cast. Upon retrival, I got bit pretty good, and it didnt stick. Made another cast, got bit again, and this time it stuck! Battled the
beast to the shore, and landed my d/s halibut. Not very big, maybe about 14-15 inches, but still, no Wing skunk for me!!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10043.jpg

Took a pic, released, and continued fishing until I could not longer take the wind blowing directly in my face. This made it very difficult to cast, so I decided to go BACK to NPH, and see what I can finish my day with.

After stopping at Jack in the Box, made it back to NPH in about 45 minutes. I started out in my spot, for nothing, and decided to head South this time. Found a spot that looked fishy, and made a cast. IMMEDIATELY, I got loaded up, and set the hook. Bet you all can't guess what happens next! Again, it spit the hook! DAMN IT!!!! I made about a dozen more
casts in that zone, and got an honest 6 or 7 smacks. Also, lost another 3-4 d/s rigs. Gave it about 15 more mintues, headed back to my spot to finish my day. No more hits, cut the rig off, and went home.

These bass will humble you guys...lol....these have got to be the "hardest to hook" fish that I have fished for my entire life. They really are a challenge. Anyways, Im outta money, outta gulp, and outta patience for now....thanks for reading!!!

GD

hakaveli
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
good job on the swimming birdwing

victor101
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Are you sure ur puting hooks on ur baits? LOL...what kind of hooks are u using man...WTH good job on the Wingbeach hali!

ghetto dad
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Are you sure ur puting hooks on ur baits? LOL...what kind of hooks are u using man...WTH good job on the Wingbeach hali!

thanks homie...the kind HAK told me to get .....1/0 worm hooks......dude, when are they gonna finish that damn construction down there, i kept having to look to make sure those fools didnt run over my tackle box!!!

GD

hakaveli
04-27-2009, 06:22 PM
check ur pm

calico killer kevin
04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Damn man. Sharpen those hooks. What line are you fishing? PM'd you about spots.

Not a bad day though.

troutdog
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Nice looking fish GD...at least the ones that stuck! :Wink:

TD

Wingnut
04-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Try the Owner Ebi 1/0 hooks in the green package, no problems with the hookset here. :Wink:

ghetto dad
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
check ur pm

thanks homie...will do!! :Cool:

Damn man. Sharpen those hooks. What line are you fishing? PM'd you about spots.

Not a bad day though.

thanks ALOT kev....i appreciate that info....:Secret:

Nice looking fish GD...at least the ones that stuck! :Wink:

TD

lmao...thanks man

Try the Owner Ebi 1/0 hooks in the green package, no problems with the hookset here. :Wink:

nice....thanks man...ill get some!!!

GD

Jackpot Jimmy
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice report Steve, good job on the fish... I'd just about have a stroke if the hook kept pulling... reminds me of the last two hours on the Spit trip...

Great job once again!!

ghetto dad
04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Nice report Steve, good job on the fish... I'd just about have a stroke if the hook kept pulling... reminds me of the last two hours on the Spit trip...

Great job once again!!

:ROFL:when you were sweating cuzz i was catching up?? lol....yeah, trust me, I just about had a stroke,....its ok...a couple homies gave me some GREAT tips...cant wait to use them next trip....

GD

Jackpot Jimmy
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah... I was especially royally p-oed because I hooked about 3 more fish after that, and they all pulled the hook. It's all good... we all had a good day on the pond.

I need to get down there again. Tried the skiff last fall, and caught some spotties, nothing spectacular... but I need to try the d/s rig, looks like it's working well!

boxl0bster
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
lol good report man! i feel ya on missing all those fish. :Razz:

what rod/reel setup you got going??

thanks for the report!

ghetto dad
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
lol good report man! i feel ya on missing all those fish. :Razz:

what rod/reel setup you got going??

thanks for the report!

phenix d/s rod, shimano FD reel.......

GD

megafisher94
04-28-2009, 06:39 PM
missed hooksets... theres a road ive been down WAY too many times

ghetto dad
04-28-2009, 08:03 PM

thats ok..just picked me up some gama offset shank worm hooks in 2/0.....hopefully they work..otherwise, im going 7/0!!!!!!!!!!!!

GD

Jaysuuun
04-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Nice Report! What's the action on your rod? You might need something with a little more back bone for more hooksetting power. Tesserz had a similar problem with fish coming off the hook the last few times we went out. I think it had to do with the softer action rod that she switched to. She switched back to a heavier action rod when we went out for my birthday and she didn't lose one fish. :Wink: We also use 1/0 Gamakatsu straight worm hooks on our ds rigs. Hope this helps.

ghetto dad
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Nice Report! What's the action on your rod? You might need something with a little more back bone for more hooksetting power. Tesserz had a similar problem with fish coming off the hook the last few times we went out. I think it had to do with the softer action rod that she switched to. She switched back to a heavier action rod when we went out for my birthday and she didn't lose one fish. :Wink: We also use 1/0 Gamakatsu straight worm hooks on our ds rigs. Hope this helps.

i was thinking the same thing about the softer tip...and those are the EXACT hooks i use....dont get me wrong, im not losing hundereds of fish, just the bigger ones...lmao..grrrrr

GD

TShaffer
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
HAHAHAHA! lol Shankapotamus :ROFL: