PDA

View Full Version : The shad are back

ART HILL
04-27-2009, 05:00 PM
accordinig to my friend who was using them today. I do not want to bother with them any longer, if I don't have to. Now if they are the only game in town, then I will fish them, but if fish are eating other baits like they have been, then it's so long shad. Not to mention the mess they leave in the boat. It took 3 hours to clean my boat last week. But I will be the first to admit that fishing can be incredible on shad.

My friend who was fishing with shad today, said he and his partner caught 102 fish, with many over 5 pounds, and several more over 6 pounds. This guy is a fishing machine, never failling to get big fish every trip. He has caught more big fish this year than anyone else I have seen at Vail.

I was out today pre-fishing for tomorrows guide trip, and I stuck with the pattern that has been producing very well for the last week. I was the first boat in the water this morning, and off the water by 9:00. I found lot's of biting fish today, but I did not want to beat them up, so I called it an early day.

We boated over 20 fish in 3 hours on what we were throwing today. The bite has been fantastic on my last 4 trips out. The trick has been finding fish that have not been keyed in on the shad, and are willing to eat something else, or matching the hatch with our baits. I found those fish, and they are very willing to eat something different.

I took along a guest today, just a little fun for him before he leaves for his military deployment, and he caught some very nice fish as well. He learned a few thing today that will help him in in the future. This young man has skills, and he is only going to get better.

BKULIN
04-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Ya man, I had a great time. If we were there for the day we would have roped a ton of fish. I really appreciate it Art, good luck tomorrow Art. Take Care

Ambassadorhawg
04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
What lake are you talking about Art???

ART HILL
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
What lake are you talking about Art???

Vail! :LOL:

goseango
04-27-2009, 08:07 PM
you teach that fool to DROP SHOT?? :Neener Neener:

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

accordinig to my friend who was using them today. I do not want to bother with them any longer, if I don't have to. Now if they are the only game in town, then I will fish them, but if fish are eating other baits like they have been, then it's so long shad. Not to mention the mess they leave in the boat. It took 3 hours to clean my boat last week. But I will be the first to admit that fishing can be incredible on shad.

My friend who was fishing with shad today, said he and his partner caught 102 fish, with many over 5 pounds, and several more over 6 pounds. This guy is a fishing machine, never failling to get big fish every trip. He has caught more big fish this year than anyone else I have seen at Vail.

I was out today pre-fishing for tomorrows guide trip, and I stuck with the pattern that has been producing very well for the last week. I was the first boat in the water this morning, and off the water by 9:00. I found lot's of biting fish today, but I did not want to beat them up, so I called it an early day.

We boated over 20 fish in 3 hours on what we were throwing today. The bite has been fantastic on my last 4 trips out. The trick has been finding fish that have not been keyed in on the shad, and are willing to eat something else, or matching the hatch with our baits. I found those fish, and they are very willing to eat something different.

I took along a guest today, just a little fun for him before he leaves for his military deployment, and he caught some very nice fish as well. He learned a few thing today that will help him in in the future. This young man has skills, and he is only going to get better.

BKULIN
04-27-2009, 08:11 PM
F dropshot

goseango
04-27-2009, 08:13 PM
You will learn 1 day or keep gettin the :Skunk:

DEADROOTS
04-27-2009, 08:24 PM
How do you gather the shad? Isn't it illegal to net shad?

goseango
04-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Vail is PRIVATE

BKULIN
04-28-2009, 07:19 AM
I have never been skunked at vail.

goseango
04-28-2009, 07:55 AM
WOW- neither has my SIX YEAR OLD DAUGHTER.....................:Dancing Banana::Nut Kick::Smack:

BKULIN
04-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Hahahahahahah

JigStop
04-28-2009, 12:42 PM
How do you gather the shad? Isn't it illegal to net shad?
It is no longer illegal to use a cast-net. They are for sale all over Southern California at your local WalMart store. There is a guy named "stinker" selling 6ft.ers at the barrell most weekends. Sometimes he leaves cards with the guards.

fishinone
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM
It is no longer illegal to use a cast-net. They are for sale all over Southern California at your local WalMart store. There is a guy named "stinker" selling 6ft.ers at the barrell most weekends. Sometimes he leaves cards with the guards.

I was hoping this was right, so I checked it out in the 2009 Freshwater Regs. Unfortunately it appears to be incorrect, at least in freshwater.

(a) Approved bait fish may be taken only by hand, with a dip net, or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension. Such bait fish may not be purchased, bartered, sold, transferred or traded; or transported alive from the location where taken. Any other species taken shall be returned to the water immediately. Traps need not be closely attended. Dip net use: A dip net must be hand held, and the motion of a dip net shall be caused only by the physical effort of the operator. A dip net may not be moved through the water by any mechanical force or motorized device.

HuskerRod
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I got excited their for a second, but it looks like throw nets are still illegal. Dip nets are okay, but those shad are darn quick. I guess I'd be quick to if someone was trying to net me to hang me on a hook and use me for bait.

huskerrod

DarkShadow
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM
It is no longer illegal to use a cast-net. They are for sale all over Southern California at your local WalMart store.

:ROFL:

Where's Nessie when you need him.

jerry5
04-28-2009, 05:07 PM
don't worry art has blanked at vail

ART HILL
04-28-2009, 05:26 PM
don't worry art has blanked at vail

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Sorry, but I have not blanked. If you are refering to the tournament last week, we did not weigh in our fish because they would not have been near the top.

E man
04-28-2009, 05:32 PM
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Sorry, but I have not blanked. If you are refering to the tournament last week, we did not weigh in our fish because they would not have been near the top.

Art you should still weigh in even if you don't place. You can still make it to the Havasu Classic if you get enough points...

BKULIN
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
And who is Jerry?? You know him Art, or is he just flappin his mouth?

ART HILL
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
And who is Jerry?? You know him Art, or is he just flappin his mouth?

I only know one Jerry, and he would not say something like that. Don't sweat it though, as it's no big deal. If he want's to think I blanked, who am I to rain on his parade. I don't worry about things I can't control, like someone's mouth. Beside's he's new here anyways, look at his post count.

BKULIN
04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Ya, I noticed the same thing. These message boards have alot of sh** talkers.

ART HILL
04-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Ya, I noticed the same thing. These message boards have alot of sh** talkers.

We don't need any controversy here, so let's just let this one die.

Pete Marino
04-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Thats how you have to take comments like that guys!!

Dont even think twice about it....its not worth it..

I understand why you dumped your fish at the tournament...I told you that when I saw you at weighins and I didnt see anything wrong with your decision.
The naysayers will flap the pie hole and the supporters will understand.. plain and simple. And each and every move that you and I make will be talked about by both sides... "Its just the way things are PacMan"...that was a quote from the movie "Colors". :Wink:

Pete:Cool:

ART HILL
04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Thats how you have to take comments like that guys!!

Dont even think twice about it....its not worth it..

I understand why you dumped your fish at the tournament...I told you that when I saw you at weighins and I didnt see anything wrong with your decision.
The naysayers will flap the pie hole and the supporters will understand.. plain and simple. And each and every move that you and I make will be talked about by both sides... "Its just the way things are PacMan"...that was a quote from the movie "Colors". :Wink:

Unfortunately it's the stuff we have to deal with when you play this game. This guy is a prime example. I will not lose a minute of sleep over it. Thanks Pete! :Beer Toast:

FishBalls
04-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Nice post - thanks for the report.

Str8t Slabaronies
04-29-2009, 07:38 AM

I believe you are talking about my buddy Larry Smith and his buddy Brook.

ART HILL
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I believe you are talking about my buddy Larry Smith and his buddy Brook.

Yes I was. Larry is a great guy, and a fantastic fisherman.

Fishbreath
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Art. I assume I have zero credibility here since this is my first post. I have been posting occasionally on the SDFish board for a few years. Art obviously needs no vote of confidence from me, but the fact that someone would cast a barb at someone who is not only a great fisherman, but also a fine gentleman is beyond absurd. People might think that fishing for a living is easy, but what these guys do is hard work. I have watched him, and Pete too, with their clients and know that it takes people skills just as much a fishing skills. And you don't get to call it a day just because a 25 MPH wind kicks up. You have to hang in there and fight it as long as your guy wants to stay out and fish. And even worse you may not even like him/her, or they may be too stubborn to fish the way you know is best. My hat is off, Art, you do great work.

As far as the shad on Monday, they took me by surprise. I actually used my regular landing net to catch them. As it turns out, that has some advantages. The more open webbing has less resistance in the water than the mesh of a shad net, so it makes for a quicker dip. Also, the little guys fall through, so you wind up with nice large ones. I make no apologies for fishing with them if they are available. They are a blast. But I do put some restrictions on myself. I will only fish them on a drop shot or under a bobber. Those bass know exactly what to do with a shad, so if you are flylining or split shotting, the shad may wind up the stomach with your hook still attached before you know you have a bite.

Thanks again, Art.
Larry

P.S. I don't know whether it will give more or less credibility, but here is a link if you want to know what I look like.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow

ART HILL
04-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks, Art. I assume I have zero credibility here since this is my first post. I have been posting occasionally on the SDFish board for a few years. Art obviously needs no vote of confidence from me, but the fact that someone would cast a barb at someone who is not only a great fisherman, but also a fine gentleman is beyond absurd. People might think that fishing for a living is easy, but what these guys do is hard work. I have watched him, and Pete too, with their clients and know that it takes people skills just as much a fishing skills. And you don't get to call it a day just because a 25 MPH wind kicks up. You have to hang in there and fight it as long as your guy wants to stay out and fish. And even worse you may not even like him/her, or they may be too stubborn to fish the way you know is best. My hat is off, Art, you do great work.

As far as the shad on Monday, they took me by surprise. I actually used my regular land net to catch them. As it turns out, that has some advantages. The more open webbing has less resistance the in the water than the mesh of a shad net, so it makes for a quicker dip. Also, the little guys fall through, so you wind up with nice large one. I make no apologies for fishing with them if they are available. They are a blast. But I do put some restrictions on myself. I will only fish them on a drop shot or under a bobber. Those bass know exactly what to do with a shad, so if you are flylining or split shotting, the shad may wind up the stomach with you hook still attached before you know you have a bite.

Thanks again, Art.

P.S. I don't know whether it will give more or less credibility, but here is a link if you want to know what I look like.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the very kind words. Both Pete and myself do work very hard to satisfy our customers fishing dreams. It can be hard work, but at the same time very rewarding. There is nothing better than having someone tell you at the end of a day, that today was the greatest fishing trip of their life.

You know Larry, everytime I see you, and I do mean everytime, I think about the late, great, Bill Murphy. You remind me so much of him, nothing flashy, just great skills, and the ability to consistantly catch big fish. I have watched you up close, and from afar, and you have amazing patience, and the abiity to get on fish, even when the fishing is tough.

Bill Murphy would fish out of a tin boat, and wear his big heavy jacket with his floppy hat, anchored out in the middle of the lake. A lot of people just looked at him as if he were just some "old guy" out fishing. Little did they know that they were in the presence of bass fishing greatness.

I used to see Bill Murphy all the time at Lake Sutherland, or San Vee, and he would be anchored over a rock pile fishing, or rather stiching as he called it, and he would out fish everyone on the lake. So that is why you remind me of him Larry. Well all except the old guy part. Your not old, just seasoned.

And just for the younger guys and girls, who may not know who Bill Murphy was, Bill was a bass fishing legend in San Diego. Bill also wrote a book called "In Pursuit of Giant Bass". That book is a "MUST" read.

Larry, like I said yesterday, I have not met anyone who has caught as many big fish at Vail Lake as you. And please make no apologies for using shad. If that is what the fish are eating, you have to adapt. I have seen some of the very best fisherman using them.

Thanks,

Art

Fishbreath
04-29-2009, 10:30 AM
I have to agree with what you have to say most of the time, but to compare me with the great Bill Murphy is not just embarrassing, it is wrong. He was my idol, and I still refer to his book all the time. It never goes out of date. I'm flattered, but it is probably just the floppy hat and patient style of fishing thing. When you are retired, you can just wait them out as long as you have a pretty good idea where they are. Or like Pete said on Monday, I just catch the same two fish over and over again.

ART HILL
04-29-2009, 10:41 AM
I have to agree with what you have to say most of the time, but to compare me with the great Bill Murphy is not just embarrassing, it is wrong. He was my idol, and I still refer to his book all the time. It never goes out of date. I'm flattered, but it is probably just the floppy hat and patient style of fishing thing. When you are retired, you can just wait them out as long as you have a pretty good idea where they are. Or like Pete said on Monday, I just catch the same two fish over and over again.

Well it is just who you remind me off.

Fishbreath
04-29-2009, 01:42 PM
OK, Art, I will accept that I may look like Bill Murphy on the water. I'm going to have to show Brook this. He will laugh as hard as anyone. He and I feed off of each other, but we don't keep score against each other, because we just assume that we will come out even. We do keep count of the total though, because I log each trip, including water temp, conditions, etc. He has been really busy at work this spring, so you haven't seen him with me as much as usual. But when he can come, our combined numbers are always impressive. Our last trip before Monday was Tuesday April 21st when we caught 78 bass, 9 crappie, and a trout. Before that, he last came out on Mar 11th, when we caught 81 bass, with an amazing 21 of them over five pounds, topped by a one that went seven. Before that was Feb 4th when we caught 101 bass and a catfish. He caught a 8 3/4 lb beauty that day. Not to say I have not had some big number days by myself, but every time he comes we hit it lucky(or good). As you know we always leave by midday, so I won't miss my nap. Being retired is great.

ART HILL
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
OK, Art, I will accept that I may look like Bill Murphy on the water. I'm going to have to show Brook this. He will laugh as hard as anyone. He and I feed off of each other, but we don't keep score against each other, because we just assume that we will come out even. We do keep count of the total though, because I log each trip, including water temp, conditions, etc. He has been really busy at work this spring, so you haven't seen him with me as much as usual. But when he can come, our combined numbers are always impressive. Our last trip before Monday was Tuesday April 21st when we caught 78 bass, 9 crappie, and a trout. Before that, he last came out on Mar 11th, when we caught 81 bass, with an amazing 21 of them over five pounds, topped by a one that went seven. Before that was Feb 4th when we caught 101 bass and a catfish. He caught a 8 3/4 lb beauty that day. Not to say I have not had some big number days by myself, but every time he comes we hit it lucky(or good). As you know we always leave by midday, so I won't miss my nap. Being retired is great.

All I know is that Bill Murphy would have been proud of those fish totals, and the weights.

JKitz
04-29-2009, 02:33 PM
All I know is that Bill Murphy would have been proud of those fish totals, and the weights.

He would be even more proud if you used a "Stitching" technique while catching these fish.

Nice numbers fellas, I will finally get back out there this Friday (vacations and work getting in the way lately)

ART HILL
04-29-2009, 02:46 PM
He would be even more proud if you used a "Stitching" technique while catching these fish.

Nice numbers fellas, I will finally get back out there this Friday (vacations and work getting in the way lately)

I am finished for the week. Back to work tonight, for 7 nights in a row. I will be back on the water next Thursday.

Fishbreath
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=JKitz;337744]He would be even more proud if you used a "Stitching" technique while catching these fish.
QUOTE]

I have done a fair amount of stitching, but none at Vail. I don't want to be too presumptuous, but I believe that Bill Murphy would have embraced drop shotting. It incorporates his philosophy of figuring out where the fish are, then putting the lure in the strike zone for the longest possible time.

JKitz
04-29-2009, 03:02 PM
How is the morning bite out there right now. Planning on going about 6-6:30am on Friday

ART HILL
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
How is the morning bite out there right now. Planning on going about 6-6:30am on Friday

Wide open on blades. Fish are shallow, in the sticks. There are some big fish in the shallows, so be ready. The crappie bite is so sick they get in the way.

Pete Marino
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Its true, I know you kept catching the same 2 fish all day because they were both green and the ones you kept catching were green too...:LOL::LOL:

Seriously though, You guys were slaying them out there...Good Job. Nice talking to you... My client ended up catching 25 on shad then when the shad ran out I took him and introduced him to reaction baits where we hammered about 25 like that and another 20ish on plastic... He had a great day.. I still havent had a chance to post the report...maybe tonight..

jerry5
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM
So funny you guys are cracking on me. I just said a guy has blanked never ? his ability to fish. I realize some of you guys make a living at guiding, but I sometimes ? How good you really are. I've never seen Art Hill cash a check at a tourny. I do see Pete cash a check every so often and I know Art Berry is a Pro fishermen whos been on TV. So who do you hire. I also know of people who have hired Pete and said all they throw is a stinken senko on 6# line finess fishing, nice! Calm down studs I'm not on here to make problems. i'm sure Art Hill is one of the great fishermen out in the I.E.

BKULIN
04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Its all good Jerry, you got to understand that there is alot of trash talking on here and people take offense to some things that can be takin wrong. I know when I went out with Pete I caught 1 fish and did exactly as you said but the fish werent biting but thats fishing. Its squashed, I just know first hand that Art Hill knows Vail Lake like the back of his hand and hes always my go to guy when I want to know how the bite is and what there biting. Ounce I get my boat, I am following Art Hill wherever he goes haha jk ART.

Pete Marino
04-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the shot. I seem to remember the fishing being tough the day you were out but that wasnt the only thing we did...I remember throwing spoons as well. Afterall it WAS January and the bite is VERY inconsistant that time of year. But you did catch a big bass on that senko didnt you?? wasnt it a 6 + lber. :Rolls Eyes:
Like I said... thanks for the shot bud...

It looks like a good one to me..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0151.jpg

Its all good...

Pete :Cool:

fishboy93
04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Pete??? Is that you?

BKULIN
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
If you want to know the real story bro, we spooned from about 630 12. Didnt catch a thing, switched to a fly lined senko and landed that fish 15 minutes before I we went home. I didnt take a shot at you at all, I just told it how it was but if you want to make me look like a bad guy go ahead. It was a nice fish but damn bro, it wasnt worth 380 bucks. I said fishing is fishing and I was totally cool with it. I replied to your post of our fishing day and said I had a good time with you and that I had a great time. There was no shot at all. So take it as you will. I did as you recommended, I joined a bass club, and came on these forums. I networked and found some real cool guys who will take me out for free and teach me new things along the way. I dont have a problem with you at all and I wasnt bad mouthing you at all and I think it is pretty comical when you try to make me sound like I was taking a jab at you. I see your standings in the tournaments and your a good stick. I apologize. Take care man, The only thing that I was bummed was you didnt offer to take me out at all after that terrible day of fishing when I did pay so much. Maybe thats something to consider with your future clients. No big deal though, take care.

Pete Marino
04-29-2009, 08:59 PM
My bad...I apologize too. I guess I took it the wrong way....its been a bad day. My apologies..
You arent a bad guy, I think we got along great. In fact judging by some of the same stuff we said to our ladies when they were pregnant, we seem to think alot alike.. lol It was funny how we said some of the exact same stuff about the sonograms...

Some days of fishing are better then others especially during the winter months. I cant make the bass bite, I can only throw what I know they eat normally. If they arent biting and its a tough day.... as you said..it happens. I was glad that you at least caught that good fish.

Im glad you found a good club to join and that you are sticking with it. Bass fishing is a blast...and we never stop learning about different ways to catch them..
Again..my apoligies..

I hope the little one is doing great!!!

Take care..

Pete

goseango
04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
JHC, time for a :Group Hug:

BKULIN
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Cool man, I am glad you accept my apologie. You were a real cool guy and I did have fun regardless of the amount of fish we caught. You did the best you could.. No hard feelings boss, take it easy and keep tearin it up in the tournys. Oh, she is doing awesome by the way. Thanks for asking.

BKULIN
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Haha Kevin. We need to NINJA

goseango
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Been busy every night this week :Angry:. Maybe this weekend? or a morning run to the SECRET spot on Friday?