PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Harbor spotties and a monster

The Rookie
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
My buddy Tom and I launched float tubes from a little park in Huntington Harbor at 4:30am on Sunday morning. There was nobody on the water at 430 am, which makes it nice to have the whole harbor to kick around in quietly and watch the sun rise. We fought the incoming tide out to the PCH bridge and fished till about 8am and enjoyed a nice push back to park. I caught 1 spotted bass about 12in, my buddy got 7 and 3 YFCs all were released. sorry no pics.:Crying: But here is the real reason for the post... On the way back we passed a docked boat where a dude was fighting something huge. The tide was strong so it was tough to stay in one place long enough to watch him land the fish, but we got to see him pull a 4 1/2 foot shark into the boat before we floated away! Not sure what species but it was definitely not a leopard, ray, or dog shark. It was fat and kinda football shaped and from the strain and struggle on the dudes face that netted it, it must have weighed 'bout 30-40 lbs. :!!!:
I hope the dude is on FNN and will post a first hand report soon.

bones
04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
That would be a MAKO shark and they love float tubers. Float tubers look like tasty cheerios with legs......LOL.....JK
Good job at HH .... I hear that the currents on the incomming and outgoing can be brutal on the legs.