PDA

View Full Version : 2 day Pacific Star, Senor Tuna trip 4/25-4/26

Ricky-Ray
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Got to Pierpoint Landing just a little before 8pm for a 2 day Senor Tuna trip on the Pacific Star. Tonight’s crew would be Mike and Kenny at the wheel, Mike, Dave and I forgot the other guys name were the deckhands and Stan in the galley. We left the docks a little after 9pm and the initial game plan was to try and make it to San Nicholas Island. Well Mother Nature decided for us that going to San Nic was not going to be an option so we wound up at Catalina Island. Long story short for Saturday we moved from one spot to the next looking for the fish to bite but with what looked like the entire sportboat fleet and private boat fleet anchored up at Catalina and with wind again current it just made for very tough fishing conditions. Jackpot winner of day one was a 5 pound Calico that was kept in the bait tank all day and was finally released at the end of the day.

While we were anchored up Saturday night eating having dinner of Chicken cordon blue with rice pilaf and veggies Captain Mike told us the game plan for Sunday was to take off at about midnight from Catalina and try and make the run again to San Nicholas. So after a great dinner (at least for the ones that were up for dinner) we wound the evening down with a few movies or an early start to bed before we took off. At about midnight the engines fired up and we were off to San Nicholas.

Sunday morning and San Nicholas looks a lot like Santa Barbara Island. Mother Nature had different plans for us again. We tried for some seabass but with high winds and lots of current it just made things very difficult. Things were starting to look a lot like yesterday. In a last ditch effort we went offshore and Captain Mike found the honey hole for us where we loaded up on rockfish. Big Reds, chuckle heads, Johnny Bass, and we even got a ling too. Day two’s JP was the ling. When we hit the honey hole Captain Mike decided to stay out a little longer so we could put some fish in the sacks and we managed to fill the sacks. The crew was awesome, getting our fish to the sacks and getting us out of tangles really quick. Mike finally had to call it quits at around 3pm and we were on our way home. We would up staying out for an extra 2.5 hours. Stan our galley cook didn’t have to but he cooked us up a mid afternoon snack of mac and cheese with bacon bits and boy did that hit the spot.

We finally arrived at pierpoint at about 8:30 or so and finally back on dry land. What a weekend it was, getting kicked around by Mother Nature both nights and during the day, scratch fishing all day Saturday and we pull it off at the last minute. The Senor Tuna gang is a great group to fish with. Very friendly and great camaraderie overall, we all took the fishing conditions in stride and took the opportunity to spend the time with friends and get to know new ones. Thanks to Captain Mike and the Crew of the Pacific Star they worked hard and tirelessly despite the tough conditions.

No pics taken on Saturday but I think I took a couple of pics on Sunday. I will check the camera later tonight and post them up if I have any.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rkchiu/Pacific%20Star%204-26-09/P4250012.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rkchiu/Pacific%20Star%204-26-09/P4250013.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rkchiu/Pacific%20Star%204-26-09/P4260017.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rkchiu/Pacific%20Star%204-26-09/P4260018.jpg

A Short video of bird rock getting populated
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rkchiu/Pacific%20Star%204-26-09/th_P4250015.jpg (http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rkchiu/Pacific%20Star%204-26-09/?action=view&current=P4250015.flv)

cappo
04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Heard it was a lil rough out there. But at least you guys loaded up on the reds.

sansou
04-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Ricky,

It was rough everywhere. In fact, we were supposed to go to SCI, but apparently the conditions were even worse there. It wasn't all that better for us down south.

Like I always say: even fishing in crappy weather beats not fishing at all!

victor101
04-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Sorry about the bad weather Raymond...Its not like u fish on your trips anyway...U still got to eat some good grub and nap! LOL

gavin310
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
sorry about the conditions. that really sucks. that was cool of them to stay out another 2 1/2 hours to let you guys fill up the sacks, and also to cook you some more food. the Pacific Star really does take care of its customers. I'll keep checking back for the pics.

Oz
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
so thats what i missed out on huh hmmmmm :LOL: glad u had a great trip regardless man...yea the ST boyz are a great bunch of guys to fish with.

ghetto dad
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Sorry about the bad weather Raymond...Its not like u fish on your trips anyway...U still got to eat some good grub and nap! LOL

:ROFL:

Damn u vic, you beat me to that comment!! lol

Sorry about your trip homie.....weather was dog crap all weekend...I got invited on the Liquid Coast....um, no, not with this weather.....peace

GD

Gmoney
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey RR
sounds like tough conditions fo sure...just glad ya got out and shared the trip with us
thanks bro

hope all is well for ya
catch ya soon

laters
G$

pineapple express
04-27-2009, 11:44 PM
howzit RR
mahaloz for sharing brah... sorry to hear about the tough conditions. atleast you
guys made the best of it. you'll get em next time im sure. looks like the ><>'s
had a good weekend.
PE

Liteliner
04-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Nice job ricky. What no whitefish pics??? :Rolls Eyes: Atleast you got some nice rockfish. I will see you in july man. Thanks for the report a pics. Bird crap island looks wonderful....:EyePop:

deanhall32
04-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Come on RR. You know you forgot to take a picture of the most important thing on a sportfishing boat... That's right. Your meals!!!!

JapanRon
04-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi Ricky-Ray,

Nice report and pics. Much appreciated. It is really interesting to read reports from different folks on the same trip.......... each report's information (focus) often being a little different !! Glad you guys pulled out a 'northern' freezer-run in the end. Visited that boat during the FH show and she looks like a very nice ride.

Thanks for the effort !!

JapanRon

FISHINGBEE
04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Great job in nasty conditions. Soon as i get the check the plastics will be deliverd.

Fishingbee